It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BendDesk: Multi-touch on a Curved Display

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I wanted to share this because it was interesting.

www.physorg.com...

Quote from source:

Most desks these days include a vertical display for digital information, such as a PC or laptop screen, and user interfaces and input devices on the horizontal surface, such as a keyboard and mouse. The desk surface would also often be covered with papers, and objects such as pens and coffee mugs.

The designers of BendDesk say the vertical and horizontal areas of the desk are separated and this makes it difficult to move documents from one surface to the other. They also point out that the user interacts differently with the vertical and horizontal areas of the desk, for example, interacting with objects on the vertical area with a mouse, and the horizontal with a pen. They say the project is their “vision of a future workspace that allows continuous interaction between both areas.”

The result of their vision is BendDesk, which has horizontal and vertical surfaces made of a single 104 cm x 104 cm piece of bendable acrylic. The entire area serves as both display and multi-touch screen, which enables the user to interact with virtual objects anywhere on the surface. The system uses two projectors, three cameras for touch input, and strips of infrared light emitting diodes (IR-LEDs) set into the sides of the desk surface.

Holy crap would I get absolutely no work done if I had one of these as a desk.

I found it interesting as this will be a normal thing in a couple years ahead, and hopefully make life a litter easier...and more fun.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Interesting video, I could see this type of thing working out well at a public library or something. I don't think I would buy one though. Looks a bit too bulky for my tastes.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusChristSr

Lol, it's obviously still in hobby mode considering how new it is. I'd say in a few years this would be amazing to use.

If you think funky new tech is not going too fast too quick, it was on the news the other day I saw some rubbish about william and his tardy missus to be, and their engagement photos.

They showed them on screen, and then the photographer was shown using an iPad to flick between them....

It's basically being forced down our throats... not that I mind, but I feel like an old man, as I'd never own an ipad... "you kids with your gadgets, why I remember the time when we used a cd-rom to store our photos and had to use a mouse to click between them...."

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

lol.

I'm on an iPad right now.

I think they are great, my children love it too. There are lots of educational apps availiable for it.

It is just hard as hell to start a thread with it. I cannot get you tube videos to show me the video number for the link here, but, other than that they are amazing.

I won mine by the way, I would have waited to buy one until they had a camera.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by badw0lf

lol.

I'm on an iPad right now.

I think they are great, my children love it too. There are lots of educational apps availiable for it.

It is just hard as hell to start a thread with it. I cannot get you tube videos to show me the video number for the link here, but, other than that they are amazing.

I won mine by the way, I would have waited to buy one until they had a camera.

Pred...

How is the touch screen keyboard on the ipad?? I have a terrible time with my stupid phone that has one. I like the clicky clicky when I type I guess!

At the husbands work he has a touch screen thats roughly 4X5 feet and he says it works much like the ipad. Its on a base and swivels to the user.. its probably the coolest thing Ive personally seen... but I didnt get to play with it.
I have NO clue what they do with it other than neat computer junk Im not allowed to do.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

The iPad's keyboard is, of course, much bigger. It is much better to use, you can have bookmarks in safari and the screen is much better quality.

I have a great computer that I just bought but I use the iPad much more. It is easier just to pick it up and surf the web. I have an iPhone and the web surfing is crap compared to this.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Well typically with projection technology space is required. Hence, the big box they have built around this contraption. Even in a few year I really don't see how this is anything special. It basically just looks like a cheap imitation of the Microsoft Surface technology with a bend in it.
edit on 15-12-2010 by JesusChristSr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

The iPad's keyboard is, of course, much bigger. It is much better to use, you can have bookmarks in safari and the screen is much better quality.

I have a great computer that I just bought but I use the iPad much more. It is easier just to pick it up and surf the web. I have an iPhone and the web surfing is crap compared to this.

Pred...

Hmm now you have me wondering if I NEED one.. I love the gadgets out there now. Though I absolutely HATE this iphone. I cant imagine why anyone actually wants one now after using it for a while! This Ipad gadget seems like it has some practical applications... that and its neat-o looking. Im used to Linux.. Im guessing that you cant put linux on it and thats why the husband said it was crap and I didnt need one.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

No, no Linux.

But easily jailbroken and that's always a perk.

I love the gadgets too and enjoy playing with them. I thought an iPad would br good and it has yet to fail.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I want one!! Imagine that as your home computer! Too cool. Good Post!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusChristSr

Lol ok..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This is already being discussed here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Please address your comments to this ongoing thread Posted on Dec 14 2010 @ 09:24 AM

BendDesk: the desk that is a touch screen

closed

top topics

join