It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Find First Evidence Of Other Universes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbomb456
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I don't know, man. Seems real to me
(awaits flammage).

This picture .... This picture .... Mars appears to be so sympathetic. I mean, beautiful smile.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EdWard54

Wait, what?

I hate to tell you but SETI is majorly funded by one of the Microsoft owners.

Also, the US government gives very, very little to NASA. Compare the amount spent on the wars and the amount given to NASA.

Also the experiments going on cost quite a bit, that is to be expected when dealing with state of the art technology.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

If they found another independent universe then that is what it should be called.

Uni means one so it would be part of the multiverse, but people associate that with science fiction.

If they were talking about the place where all the multiverses exist then that would be the universe, but whose to say that's the only universe?

I get what your saying I'm just trying to jumble you up.

I also think if somewhere has different laws of physics it would be a different universe than our own.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
What definition of universe are they using? "Universe" is a word for the totality of everything that exists. So if they find "other universes", those "other universes" are just a part of the ONE universe. So there is still only one universe.

What they should be saying is that they found new parts of the universe, not more universes.
edit on 14-12-2010 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

I know, its paradoxal, but it is not the first time that happens:

An atom (Greek άτομον from ά: non and τομον: divisible). Well nowadays we know they are.

But i like this too:sfy

If they found another independent universe then that is what it should be called.

Uni means one so it would be part of the multiverse, but people associate that with science fiction.

If they were talking about the place where all the multiverses exist then that would be the universe, but whose to say that's the only universe?

I get what your saying I'm just trying to jumble you up.

I also think if somewhere has different laws of physics it would be a different universe than our own.

Pred...

edit on 14-12-2010 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Atomos in Greek means uncuttable.

They used to think that they were the smallest constituents in the universe, but we kind of nixed that theory.

Now we think the smallest are strings, in 2000 or so years will they be saying the same thing we are right now?

Why could the universe not be infinite? Other than the fact that it is so hard to comprehend.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

When man discovered new continents he didn't say he found a new Earth...
Same thing here...It's not a new Universe..
It's just a newly discovered part of the one we have..
You can change theories but you can't change definitions like that..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

When man discovered new continents he didn't say he found a new Earth...
Same thing here...It's not a new Universe..
It's just a newly discovered part of the one we have..
You can change theories but you can't change definitions like that..

Sure, but that part of Earth did not have it's basic laws different from where they came from.

I understand the Earth idea but everything is the same over here as over there, it's not like there is no gravity in the western world.
Where as if the laws of physics were to be different, that would fundamentally make it much, much different then our originating point.

Those, to me anyway, are completely different definitions.

Pred...

ETA: Humans always gave "new" names to things, new England, new Mexico, new York, maybe we should just call it new universe.

edit on 15-12-2010 by predator0187 because: Added some...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I wish i could S&F this thread twice, great article!!

2nd...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO

Today, another group says they've found something else in the echo of the Big Bang. These guys start with a different model of the universe called eternal inflation. In this way of thinking, the universe we see is merely a bubble in a much larger cosmos. This cosmos is filled with other bubbles, all of which are other universes where the laws of physics may be dramatically different to ours.

These bubbles probably had a violent past, jostling together and leaving "cosmic bruises" where they touched. If so, these bruises ought to be visible today in the cosmic microwave background.

I've often said over my time of membership that our poorly named Universe is only one of gazillions of other Bubbleverses. And I shared too that this perception was based solely on what I call Journey.. begun with meditation but not limited to what people call the astral .. as you journey in the awareness stream.. so to speak.

The more educated may now turn their mind off and forget this post....

In one of those Journeys I had the pleasure to experience going outside our Bubbleverse.. and seeing uncountable others.

I watched as two bubbleverses touched, which released massive amounts of energy.. enough to easily create a "Big Bang" scenario as the birthing of a new Bubbleverse. Much like how two adults come together to bring into existence a new human.

To me it is not important where good information comes from, if it is solid enough. The concept of gazillions of bubbleverses existing in a physical sense is so probable in my way of thinking that I have hoped for years to hear or read that we find evidence for it as a reality. This may be the start of discovering the probable bigger picture reality.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Star and flag

I definately belive in the other universes and I am confident that when we dream, we have traveled;

wormholes exists in our minds.....dreams are not fantasies, they are other universes....

Think about how time differs from our 'dreamland' andour current universe...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by RUSSO

Parallel Universes, and unlimited number of Universes exist in theory.

Time to move along and find solid ground working evidence to support these theories.

Yes, I agree with you, there are many "universes" out there, some are on a parallel with ours, and some are not. That is my theory, anyway. What we need is to tear up the nondisclosure papers they all have to sign before joining the "scientific community." Let then work, and tell everyone what they find out, free information.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
what happens when we get bruisses?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

No, that goes into the multiverse and assuming our universe is not the only one. There's a simple way they describe it, think of our universe as a the inside of a bubble, and the bubble is floating around in more space (or whatever they float in I don't know, I'm far from fully informed on this topic). Our bubble might occasionally collide with other bubbles, creating what they are speaking of in this article I suppose. But going by this theory I think the big bang becomes not one unique event that occurred, but just something that happens all the time (or maybe something that happens because of these collisions...big bangs may be the effect of colliding universes? and may happen much more frequently than we think).

But there's so many theories spinning off of the original idea of string theory, it's hard to say whether one will be right and the rest wrong, or if they are all just pointing at the same thing in different ways. I don't know but I know that cosmology and theoretical physics blows my mind like nothing else can. I love it. It's complicated and simple and beautiful and messy all at the same time.
edit on 12/15/2010 by SpaceJ because: weird line thing

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I somewhat agree with you, but I think (personal theories) when we dream, or when we have déjà vu and the related subtypes of déjà vu, that it is either 1) seeing into a parallel dimension of our own universe, or 2) our subconscious being independent of the dimension of time, allowing us to seemingly glimpse "forward" into time relative to our consciousness. I think those explanations would be more likely than wormholes to another universe, but then I never really gave it much thought either. Something new to consider.

I also made a post out of a crazy idea that came to me one night, that maybe our subconscious functions on a quantum level different from our consciousness. And like some particles in quantum physics behave (which appear to our eye to travel in a straight line from point A to B, but really they are traveling all possible paths at once before arriving at point B), maybe our subconscious is actually seeing all possible paths that could have been traveled. Maybe our subconscious sees all possible paths, perhaps in parallel dimensions/universes, that are occurring in any given moment, and so then maybe déjà vu or dreams are just our consciousness accessing a subconscious vision of one of those possibilities, of a path traveled only by our subconscious. But I'm crazy!

edit on 12/15/2010 by SpaceJ because: added thought

cj6

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Mind-blowing!! Literally anything i hear about the universe makes my head wanna explode! Its so infinitely vast and complex that the sheer thought almost annihilates my very existence by knowing how insignificant i am

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I agree with you about the terms, that's why I have a hard time explaining the theories and so I generally refrain from attempting to explain them. The collection of the multiverse would I guess be called the universe, it's confusing. We need new words or something.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
And to think we humans have all this to ourselves....right! In a parallel universe would everything be exactly the same as in this one?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Great find !!!!!..We are really living in interesting times when new horisonts are opening in front of us.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ALL PEOPLE

I am thankful and glad that many people liked the news. I am one of you.

This news is for all who seek knowledge, just like me.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

edit on 15-12-2010 by imitator because: (no reason given)

I also made a post out of a crazy idea that came to me one night, that maybe our subconscious functions on a quantum level different from our consciousness.

Your not crazy, this has been thought of before, you should check out some old Time travel threads, or John Titor threads...It has been said, that each individual “subconscious” has infinite possibilities or outcomes in many dimensions.

The superuniverse is amazing, our little bubble is only 13.73 billion years old, imagine how old those other universes are! I can't wait for the data from the upcoming Planck satellite, we will be able to gain more evidence into the possible existence of the multiverse.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join