It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warrant needed to snoop on your emails, court finally rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Warrant needed to snoop on your emails, court finally rules

www.rawstory.com

After many years of legal uncertainty, a federal appeals court has finally declared that emails have the same Fourth Amendment protections as regular mail and telephone calls.

"Given the fundamental similarities between email and traditional forms of communication, it would defy common sense to afford emails lesser Fourth Amendment protection," the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled (PDF).

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Woo-hoo!!! Nice!

FINALLY, score one for the 'little people', at least for the time being.

I wonder how this will effect the endless snoopfest going on by the gov and alphabet soup orgs though?

My guess is that they will continue on, business as usual, "do as we say, not as we do" with the spying and taps, probably using something like the patriot act and 'terrorism' angle to supercede these procedings...

Still, nice to see at least one section of the constitution be upheld for a change.

www.rawstory.com

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
ITs about time the courts started to come to their senses on this stuff. While it makes my job harder to do, it makes the victory that much sweeter knowing the rules were followed.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
My guess is that they will continue on, business as usual, "do as we say, not as we do" with the spying and taps, probably using something like the patriot act and 'terrorism' angle to supercede these procedings...

Yep! As you stated.
Everything will still flow through the filters, and when a key word pops up...
THEN they will get their warrant.

Just means they will have to think up a better excuse as to why they suspect you.
Saying your name just 'happened' to pop up in their database won't cut it anymore.

Maybe the new Patriot iphone APP is to cater for this?
"We need a warrant because we got an 'anonymous' tip from a 'concerned citizen'.....

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
EAVESDROPPING 101:
WHAT CAN THE NSA DO?
www.nsawatch.org...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join