It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran takes UK human rights breach to UN

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by spikey

And what execution rate does the US have then?

If you want to compare execution rate, look at per capita figures, thats what is important.

biasedreports.wordpress.com...

Also, execution procedure must not be cruel.

That said, I do not support death penalty in any form.

I do not support the death penalty in any form either.

Per capita rates may appear to dilute the figures somewhat, but essentially the numbers of people ultimately killed by states (all nation states) stands.

Rankings for total deaths are what i'm talking about here, not ratio %'s of population Vs. numbers killed.

There are two main areas where i oppose the DP, firstly there is the obvious miscarriage of justice aspects.

Over 200 people who had been languishing on death row waiting to be murdered by the state, were subsequently exonerated by DNA evidence..many more were killed before the introduction of DNA techniques of course...in addition to that principle, all the while you have an innocent party executed for someone else's crime, then obviously the guilty party is still at large and free to commit additional crimes, perhaps more capitol crimes.

My second main objection to the DP is the fact that apart from the morality aspects, the sheer hypocrisy of the situation is staggering to me.
If someone murders, then the punishment for that in some cases, is to be murdered by the state?!

This makes the state, whatever state, the largest and most prolific serial killers (in respect of prisoners) than the prisoners themselves!

If murder is considered to be wrong, then it's surely wrong for everyone, people who work in government included.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by endlessknowledge

Originally posted by spikey

The phrase 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones', springs to mind!

edit on 15/12/2010 by spikey because: add info

Maybe you should read the entire thread before throwing stones, that way you could save yourself the embarrassment. You could have also avoided sounding redundant since your phrase has already been used.

Oh don't worry about any potential embarrassment i may or may not experience, i'm *much* too long in the tooth to worry or care about such matters. I come here to learn and sometimes, to teach. If my views are shared by others here and are conveyed prior to mine, so much the better afaic.

Regardless of previous comments, a valid personal philosophical position opposing official or state sponsored murder, needs, imo, to be repeated as often as is required to convey the message.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Thank you.

For those who still don't know:

Stoning is a Biblical law.
For those who want know:

Stoning is being removed from Iranian penal system. Actually has been removed for quiet a while now.
For those who care:

Stop using stoning and wipe out Israel statement, because they are both false.
For those who are informed:

Please stay informed, and talk about UK human rights rather than Iran. If this thread was about Iranian human rights, then I would have joined you guys a long time ago.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Iran has one of the worst human rights records in the world. They arrest, torture, rape and murder those who protest.

However, this latest move does also highlight the hypocrisy of Western countries who, rightly, speak out against the wholesale atrocities in Iran but fail to clean up their own back yard. At the same time it highlights his own extreme hypocrisy.

Ahmanazijad's statement, however, serves only to confirm to me that the world is run by the mentally ill. It's like a bunch of schoolboys taking a pop at each other in the most immature and idiotic ways. It is horrifying to think that these people have responsibility for the lives of millions, and the future of our planet in their insane, lying, murderous, sadistic, greedy, hands.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by Maslo

Thank you.

For those who want know:

Stoning is being removed from Iranian penal system. Actually has been removed for quiet a while now.

no it hasn't been removed for some time now:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Any form of execution is wrong, whether legal or illegal, stoning is one of the most barbaric forms.

Iran has NO right throwing up human rights issues, any country that stones people for anything, let alone getting frisky, has no human rights argument.

There may be a human rights issue with what happened in the UK, but Iran needs to look at its own system before it can whinge and moan.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

reply to post by backinblack

I don't agree with what the US does either. But I can't stand the short-sightedness of some who indirectly support the murderous regime of Iran because of their hate for US and UK.

Case in point...the OP.
edit on 14-12-2010 by endlessknowledge because: (no reason given)

And you have a pro Israel-US agenda.
Drop your personal vendetta against Oozyism.
Just accept the fact that you are both at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Try sticking on topic and and stay ratiional.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Maslo

Thank you.

For those who want know:

For those who care:

Stop using stoning and wipe out Israel statement, because they are both false.
For those who are informed:

Please stay informed, and talk about UK human rights rather than Iran. If this thread was about Iranian human rights, then I would have joined you guys a long time ago.

Iran does one thing and says another. Several years ago it also agreed to stop hanging minors, but continues to do so still today.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Amnesty's statistics on executions shows that US is one of the worst culprits in the world.

March 2010. Annual Global Statistics on the Death Penalty.

714 people were executed in 18 countries and at least 2,001 were sentenced to death in 56. These are very minimum figures.

139 countires have abolished the death penalty in law or in practice with only a handful of countries carrying out executions. In addition to China, the worst offending countries for executions were Iran with at least 388 executions, Iraq at least 120, Saudi Arabia at least 69 and USA with 52. Some of these countries cited in the report have been using the death penalty to silence opponents or to promote political agendas, e.g. China, Iran and Sudan.Unfair trials, the disproportionate use against the poor, minorities and members of racial and ethnic and religious groups remains an ongoing and unrelenting concern. Yet the onward trend towards abolition continues in 2009: 95 countries have abolished the death penalty for all crimes and Burundi and Togo are the latest countries to have abolished the death penalty. There have been no executions in Europe - the first year since AI began keeping records but regrettably this year we have seen executions in Belarus.

These are the things that weaken US criticisms of human rights abuses in other countries...there is a long list of US own human rights abuses, which is increasing by the week.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

YEAH sure, last I checked she was convicted of murder. She helped with the murder of her own husband, are you kidding me?

I for one believe if the Western media repeats what ever over and over again, you will eventually believe it, they are following Hitlers propaganda code.

and

You know what is against human rights? To take from the law abiding citizens and spend that money to safe guard thieves, murderers, rapists, child molesters. Feed them, cloth them, give them a roof over their heads, for free, while other law abiding citizens work their AZZ off to survive till the end of the day.

Some actually have a brain to see beyond the propaganda BS the US has inherited from Nazi Germany.

Some actually have a brain to see that this thread is not about Iranian human rights, but about UK human rights.

At the end of this thread, I will count the amount of times I have said the above, to prove my point regarding insanity.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

They have hardly mentioned the topic..
Just derailed the thread from the first page..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

You know what is against human rights? To take from the law abiding citizens and spend that money to safe guard thieves, murderers, rapists, child molesters. Feed them, cloth them, give them a roof over their heads, for free, while other law abiding citizens work their AZZ off to survive till the end of the day.

I apologise, I was under the impression that living, life, was a human right also, my mistake, to the rocks with her.

BTW she has only JUST admitted murder, she was sentenced to be stoned a long time ago, as were a lot of other people for what we would call minor offences.

And those murderers, rapists, child molesters are all beating themselves up behind bars, they lost their freedom, and probably get hurt on a daily basis (not to mention the shower room incidents, lol)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

I apologise, I was under the impression that living, life, was a human right also, my mistake, to the rocks with her.

BTW she has only JUST admitted murder, she was sentenced to be stoned a long time ago, as were a lot of other people for what we would call minor offences.

And those murderers, rapists, child molesters are all beating themselves up behind bars, they lost their freedom, and probably get hurt on a daily basis (not to mention the shower room incidents, lol)

Western jails are full of people who shouldn't be there also..
Why should you go to jail for smoking a plant??
Or many other minor offences that hurt no one..
NO ONE should be in jail for a "Victimless Crime"..IMO

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Like I said, stoning is removed from Iranian penal code.

At least they are working to advance, last I checked US is executing mentally ill women.

By the way, you can get back on topic whenever you wish, free will is GOOD

The protesters are represented by Bethany's father, Phil Shiner, of Public Interest Lawyers. He says the police tactics breach articles 5, 10 and 11 of the European convention on human Rights.

Kettling breaches human rights: UK lawyers

The lawyers have written to the commissioner for the Metropolitan police, Sir Paul Stephenson, arguing that kettling breaches European human rights legislation, the daily Guardian reported.

edit on 15-12-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327

reply to post by backinblack

I don't agree with what the US does either. But I can't stand the short-sightedness of some who indirectly support the murderous regime of Iran because of their hate for US and UK.

Case in point...the OP.
edit on 14-12-2010 by endlessknowledge because: (no reason given)

And you have a pro Israel-US agenda.
Drop your personal vendetta against Oozyism.
Just accept the fact that you are both at opposite ends of the spectrum.

That's the first time I've been accused of that(pro Israel-US). How did Israel come into this anyway?? And what part of I don't agree with what the US does, don't you understand? I would suggest you to read the entire thread before making accusations but it seems like that is not your area of strength. lol to being diagnosed as opposite ends of the spectrum as oozyism just because I disagree with him. You're are officially a simpleton.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by endlessknowledge

You're are officially a simpleton.

That's classical..Learn English before you call someone names..
It seems more convincing then..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Oh I'm sorry again, I thought the topic was about Iran crying human rights against the UK (when they of all countries have NO right to piss and moan about in that department), that's what I was talking about, what's this topic about again, remind me?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

its about human rights, and in question is the u.k.

it is not u.k. v iran.

it is not o.k. for the u.k. to breach human rights just because iran does worse. yet this is what people keep whittling it down to.

if you like you could start a thread about iran's human rights abuses?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by oozyism

Oh I'm sorry again, I thought the topic was about Iran crying human rights against the UK (when they of all countries have NO right to piss and moan about in that department), that's what I was talking about, what's this topic about again, remind me?

Oh I'm sorry, I thought the topic was about Iran taking the (UK HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS), to UN.

See, let me make it simple:

UN UK HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATION

Iran is a member of UN, just in case you didn't know.

Read the above simple statement over and over again until you realize that Iran's human rights has nothing to do with this. Please, take your time before you click reply again.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
for anybody who still do not get it, it would be like me turning up in a thread about the TSA pat downs, and then claiming you should not be moaning because they have less freedoms in other countries.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
These "protesters" are nothing but middle class thugs throwing a tantrum because they can't have what they want, and fear the prospect of actually having to work for a living. In any case, our riot police are not as aggressive as in many other nations, they don't use tear gas or water cannons or rubber bullets, which is arguably a breach of human rights.

Back to Iran...

Is that the same Iran who shoots protesters like Neda Agha-Soltan? Or kidnaps them then murders them, like what they did to a young man called Sohrab Aarabi?

As much as it pains me to link to the Guardian, they have compiled this very good tool, which shows the photo or a green silhouette, representing everyone "detained" (read tortured) by the Iranian officials during the 2009 Election Protests with information provided by Amnesty International. And they have the nerve to call us out on "human rights breaches".

Guardian kidnapped protestors tool

Or how about this lovely little gem...

Daily Mail story on Iranian man sentenced to have acid poured on face

I could go on, and on, and on for days with this post, but suffice to say, every inch of me despises that despotic regime, the sooner it is forcibly removed by the people or by an invasion, the better.

edit on 15-12-2010 by dylandalek because: might help if I actually linked to the guardian

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join