It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we ever see a Womans movement within Sharia Countries?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Most major religions have a history of limiting the rights of woman. This is not a Islam bashing thread, however woman in countries ruled by Sharia law have little to no rights. Women do have more rights in these countries compared to a hundred years ago, but they are at least a hundred years behind western nations.

My questions are simple: Do you think there is a woman's movement within these countries? Is it even possible to have a woman's movement today in these countries? Is it possible for there to be equal rights for woman in these countries?

Seeing the woman flogged in broad daylight for wearing pants was just surreal, but seemed normal to them.....

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
No is my opinion. Countrys with Sharia Law seem to refuse to move with the time and are stuck 500 years ago. It will be very interesting to see what other peoples views are. Good question S+F.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
There should be a women's movement!!! It is wrong for any man to treat a woman the way that they do. Personally, I would rather die than to have to live like that! These men should be punished for their actions.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombiePatriot
No is my opinion. Countrys with Sharia Law seem to refuse to move with the time and are stuck 500 years ago. It will be very interesting to see what other peoples views are. Good question S+F.

Im surprised not more people are interested in this topic. The woman's movement is well documented in America and Europe but other than a few sporadic events woman in these countries seem to submit not only to there government but to any male that crosses there path. Do young girls that display too much independence, not make it to adulthood?

Originally posted by Night Star
There should be a women's movement!!! It is wrong for any man to treat a woman the way that they do. Personally, I would rather die than to have to live like that! These men should be punished for their actions.

I would rather not see anyone die, but I would love to see them fight. Sooner or later it seems it will result in some type of fight or social disorder, or disobedience.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I would like to see that as well. It is way overdue!!!! The women are probably too frightened to dare any attempt. Makes my blood boil!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I honestly dont see a women's movement coming in countries where Sharia is in place for one reason and one reason only, THEY WILL BE KILLED. The America's womens movement is and was alot different as American men were far more civil, comparitavely speaking. Women here did not get publicly stoned for getting raped. Not to say there were no transgressions against women who spoke out here, but the punishments were far less severe.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
There are many of them. Some quiet some loud.. they are all under threat. Its NOT the same as here in the US. Some countries that do have womens movements are Sudan, Kuwait,Pakistan, etc etc. The problem isthat the fellow women inthese countries follow Sharia and will turn in other women. They will hit other women in the streets for violations as much as the men do. The hard liner women will rat out the others. The fact is that women have always been forefront in Islam.. lok up Waqf for one. Even Muhammad's wife.. 2 of them.. was a businesswoman and Aisha was a scholar. as I recall.

There is such a thing as Islamic feminism.. take Bhutto for example and Boye.. several women involved in politics in islamic majority countries.

Most women in Islam tow the line... they do not WANT reform or their religion to change. You must consider this and not make the foolish mistake that we have before of trying to impress western ideas of equality on a people who in the majority does niot want it. You put a spotlight on those few who are working the system for a future with change from the inside.

Take your time and learn about it.. hopefully you can learn from the horse's mouth rather than some western interpretation of the real issues there. Its very complex and even though I have spent considerable time in Islamic countries.. I still do not understand all of the dynamics involved. As a western woman I find it abhorrent as to what happens in these countries as much as I do other atrocities rained down upon women and female children around the globe.. but even with our best intentions we have caused more harm than good trying to walk in and change things ourselves. These women arent backward monkeys... they know well how to work their own systems. They actually dont need the all knowing West to meddle and how to deal with the hard liner women they are related to and being watched by.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Are there hen pecked men in these countries? Are there any women who stand up to their husbands or sons? I'm sure there must be! Behind closed doors I bet there are women in these countries making their men's lives miserable just like in every other country! Women have a lot of strength when it comes to standing up to men, I reckon the Islamic have got the public face of women control of to a fine art, but women will win through and eventually dominate the world and use us men for sperm donorship until science makes that unnecessary.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
What I always found odd is that Feminists operate mostly in the U.S.A. instead of Islamic countries. If the goal were womens liberation you`d suppose they'd be more focused there.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Feminist and women's watch groups can observe and try to influence from afar, but have no real power to affect change from within. Change has to come from the inside (of the country and the people) not from the outside.

I do think there is a very slow movement building, effecting some countries more quickly then others, no doubt. Someone once said that change happens very slowly in Islamic countries, but it inevitably does happen. The middle east is not one big sucking hole that imprisons all women, but there are certainly places that do. Compare and contrast women's lives in Saudi Arabia to Jordan, as an example. Very different freedoms and opportunities available to them.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Womans rights and movement was at an all time high in Afghanistan until the Russian Invasion in the 70's

Honestly.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
I would like to see that as well. It is way overdue!!!! The women are probably too frightened to dare any attempt. Makes my blood boil!

When one culture "advances" or changes it's ways and beliefs, the rest are left in the "old" ways, sometimes for hundreds of years.

They still burn "witches" alive in some parts of the world that many now find horrendous. But it wasn't so long ago that this was done everywhere for the sake of religion.

I agree that it is way overdue, but it will happen when the women decide it will happen and not before. With the advancement of information flow, I expect change to happen at a faster rate than in the past, but it must come from the women there.

If you for instance, tried to tell those women how they should be treated, you might just be surprised at the backlash you would get from many of them.

It will happen and in the meantime, I feel it is our responsibility to educate them without trying to tell them what is right and what is wrong.

Let's just hope that it is sooner rather than later. After all, we are all equal...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I found this article from Dec 2000 its 10 years old but it lays out basically what these woman are facing.

Several Islamic countries in recent years have witnessed two simultaneous developments: one, the State making anti-women laws in the name of Sharia (Muslim Law); two, articulate and powerful women's movements in the respective countries fighting against such laws. A few examples follow:

Zamfara, one of Nigeria's 30 States, has introduced Sharia (Muslim) laws. One of its provisions prohibits women and men from traveling together on public transport. Which means wives and husbands, mothers and grown-up sons cannot travel together! Shiite groups in Zamfara have criticized the Zamfara State--according to them the state does not have the moral or constitutional authority to institute Sharia (muslim) law in a secular and multi religious State like Nigeria. A large number of women from Muslim countries including Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Iran, Malaysia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Senegal and Sudan gathered in Nigeria, last year and took note of the dangerous consequences of such laws introduced in the name of Sharia. Other countries with sizable Muslim populations like India, Kenya and South Africa also participated in the protest. The Muslim women gathered in Nigeria declared that the laws are violative of human rights of women even according to the provisions of the Constitution of Nigeria.

"We have already seen this happen in Afghanistan, when in the name of Islam and segregation of the sexes, women and girls no longer have access to education, health care services, job and other means of gaining an economic livelihood or the right to freedom of movement. Similarly, those who claim to be the flag-bearers have attacked girls right to education and women's right to mobility in Algeria, Bangladesh and elsewhere. We are alarmed that these abuses are being implemented under the guise of Islam", declared the women's meet; it called upon the government of Zamfara to protect and ensure the rights of women.

Womans movement in Islamic countries

new topics

top topics

join