It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can humans learn to swim before learning to walk?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by oozyism

Cant swim everywhere and standing is faster than crawling and you can reach high places. Plus crawling is a bitch on the knees.

How do babies know whether crawling is faster than walking.

Or

Whether swimming is more beneficial than walking.

I believe walking and crawling can take you to places in the same speed, you get faster through practice, by improving the way you walk.

Yes you can reach higher places by walking, but shouldn't they stand up when they want to reach higher places, then go back to crawling when they don't need to reach higher places?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Water/ swimming is the sh*t. Maybe there is a high up conspiracy to keep us regular (not rich) folk from having time/clean water/area to swim regularly (more than an hour a day)? It seems to be very beneficial, in many ways, maybe even much more than any of us would ever guess? think think think think

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
no if humans were to live in a world completely covered in water, they would use floating debris and whatever materials they could salvage to build solid boats and platforms to live on.

if that wasn't possible they'd all drown, starve to death or die of dehydration. they wouldn't evolve aqualungs because 99% of the worlds population would be dead in 30 days.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
no if humans were to live in a world completely covered in water, they would use floating debris and whatever materials they could salvage to build solid boats and platforms to live on.

if that wasn't possible they'd all drown, starve to death or die of dehydration. they wouldn't evolve aqualungs because 99% of the worlds population would be dead in 30 days.

That's what I mean.

If there is no land, humans will obviously have debris to live in, but the environment will completely change, hence water will surround them all the time. That means they have to swim more often, stay in water more often, which should cause an evolutionary change?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

The Aquatic Ape Theory states that approximately 6-7 million years ago, our ape ancestors were trapped in a semi-aquatic environment. This forced them to search for food in the water and become very comfortable in the water; over time altering their bodies to be more effective in the water. The theory says that a founder population of apes got isolated on an island-like setting when East Africa flooded. So if a population got isolated, they would need to take to the sea for survival. It took whales 50-60 million years to go from fully terrestrial animals to fully adapted aquatic animals. Skeptics of Aquatic Ape Theory insist that it would take 50-60 million years to see changes in physiology of a transition to becoming aquatic. The one thing that they do not understand is that AAT states that a small population of apes became isolated. Evolution acts much faster on small populations, so some changes could have easily taken place in a million years. That is not to say that we became mermaids with a whale-like tail, just that we started the transition to becoming aquatic. Some of those traits can still be seen today.

some of you folks might find the aquatic ape hypothesis interesting. not saying it's true, but it's still a possibility.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Id say no! cause i cant swim but i can walk

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Yes, it's a hypothesis that gives answers to a few questions about humans, such as:
- Why are we the only ape to cry salt-water tears?
(Elephants do too, and part of their evolution was aquatic.)
- Why do humans grow long hair on their heads?
(The babies can hold onto it and stay close-by.)
- Why do woman have fatty breasts?
(Fat floats. The baby could drink from a floating breast without drowning.)
- The reflexes a baby has which allow it to survive in water, as elaborated on earlier in this thread,
- Even the angle of a woman's vagina is explained.

This is all going on memory. Silverfish ate my copy of that book long ago.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
man wasn't supposed of being able a big amount of water. Swimming is saving yourself from drowning
Get on land. Does someone see what I mean?
edit on 2010/12/15 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

You mean you drank a big amount of vodka because man is not meant to drink a big volume of water?
And you think that thing you're now doing under the table is swimming?
And you're trying to "get on land" because what you're on keeps rocking?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

On another note, if Evolution is true, then why do "sea mammals" still exist? That seems like some bad evolution. Why haven't they developed gills yet? In the movie "Water World" Costner had already started to develop gills after just a generation or two, yet after millions of years whales still breathe air?

In all fairness, WaterWorld was a "movie"...so can't really use it for a scientific benchmark...

You have a point though...unless of course, there is some biological advantage for them breathing air still.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I suffer aches in my spine and my complete body because of an accident i had when I was young. There's a constant ache I have which I have overcome. I think I have swimmingproblems because of that. my spine is deformed at a location. I'm not completely disabled but I do suffer. :p I feel retarded now. smile

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by pearcester
Id say no! cause i cant swim but i can walk

Children have an amazing ability to learn new things.

Just because you never bothered to learn something doesnt make it impossible.

I dont know brain surgery, I dont trust parachutes enough to jump, so therefore it cant be done ! ??????? Really ??

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join