It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

should "Evolution" be considered a sign of Ignorance ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Go to a museum and look at the fossil evidence for Evolution.

Go to a zoo, go to the primate house and look at the monkeys and apes.

Go home and pet your dog, think for a moment about how the genetically diverse breeds of dog came into being - think about how human companionship and interaction has slowly splintered them into different breeds.

Eat some corn and think about the massive changes it went through genetically as Native Americans began raising it.

I understand the point you're trying to make but it isn't helping. Evolution is supported by a mountain of solid scientific evidence. Creationism is supported by no evidence and most Creation stories contradict known fact.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by Planet teleX
Get off your high horse and disprove it.

You were looking for this reaction- now you have it.

I don't have to disprove anything, the task is on you guys to show proof !

Didn't you say in your OP that it was a known falsehood? If you make claims like that you have to back them up.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

What bothers me about evolution is how long it takes - it virtually takes ages! I think people should focus on accelerating evolution in labs by genetic engineering.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by imnessie

Evolution works on a generational basis, it can't take place in a single individual. The only real way to accelerate it would be to accelerate the gestation time of an organism or shorten the time it takes for an organism to reach reproductive maturity (how long it takes from one generation to the next).

This is why the most interesting experiments in Evolution have been with fruit flies, they multiply very quickly.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

thats how its always been done from the beginning of this earth and eco system. they were manipulated by someone other than ourselves, and not by their own natural evolution.

whos doing it? someone smarter than everyone else. was it god? whos and what is god?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Ignorance of what?

What is it that people who believe in evolution don't know?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by aliengenes

Well, if someone is doing it, they must have a very long life span compared to ours. Probably a 1 million Earth years for them is like 10 hours or something.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Neither creationism or evolution has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Evolution is the change in the genome of a population over time. This is something that can and has been observed. We know that evolution occurs, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Evolution happens, Micro-evolution.

As well as macro. Specialization has been observed and documented.

Scientists cannot create life in labs even today...

We have yet to put men on Mars. Does that make it impossible? I think not.

Even if THEY DID, wouldn't that prove it takes intelligent life to create life??

Not at all. It would just show that we are entirely capable of doing so, and doesn't say much about the beginning of life on this planet.

genetic information content

Scientifically, that phrase doesn't mean anything. You'll have to define what exactly that means.
edit on 14-12-2010 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Believing in Evolution is a sign of Insanity based on ATS Atheist logic.

Second line.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Is it not possible for God to create a universe that by design is meant to evolve? Or is having the ability to make his creations evolve not on his list of powers?

I believe there is a God/creator of this universe, because I also believe in the big bang, and the only way I can make the big bang work in my head is if there was someone/something from somewhere(else) to create it. Even without the big bang I still say there's a creator because otherwise how did all this s#!t get here and what’s the point?

I don’t believe in religions and do not follow any(although there is lots of good to be taken from religions), just wanted to make that point, but yes I believe the creator made this universe by divine cosmos explosion know as the big bang and that evolution IS Gods master plan.

I never understood why there has to be such polarity on this subject.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Something cannot come from nothing... except when all matter/energy spontaneously came into existance

Life only comes from life... except when cells miraculously formed themselves in the primordial soup (which formed itself)

With that said, information only comes from an intellegent source... except for DNA whose complexity, we still don't fully grasp; it sprang into existence with a code and a code reading device randomly.

All systems will eventually become totally random and disorganized (entropy)... with the exception of right after the big bang when not only atoms and molecules, but planets and stars organized and formed themselves

Wishful thinking accomplishes nothing... except if your neck is too short to reach food, 1000s of generations later, your offspring will have longer necks. (which is even more curious because you would think if you can't eat, you die, and are unable to reproduce)

There is no evidence for the branches on the evolutionary tree (no transitional species have been found relating anything)... but we know that all living things are descended from a common ancestor

Frog + kiss = prince is a fairy tale... frog + time = prince is SCIENCE

Humans are a copy of a copy of a copy, with our code being corrupted by mutation etc... but humans today are smarter and more fit than our ancestors (evidence: we have ipods and computers, and most of us believe we came from nothing based on nothing, unlike those ignorants of the past that subscribed to a Divine Creator)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The insane people I was referring to yesterday in my post...I found the video. Like I said I have no problem with people believing in creation, but stuff like this is extreme. I mean this is blatantly filling all of these little minds with false information. Going to a creation museum is one thing, but going to a natural history museum and telling them everything they see is wrong........

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

this proves nothing, no reputable creationist denies speciation, in fact, it is an important part of creationist biology.

I know you hate it when I do this, but I'm actually going to challenge this claim: since when?

Speciation occurs only in evolutionary biology. Creationists cannot accept speciation because it would be a sign of evolution.

The real issue is whether evolution can explain the increase of genetic information content, enough changes to turn microbes into men, not simple change through time.

It takes roughly 3 billion years for that level of change to occur. Of course, we do have evidence of increase in genetic information, many instances of it. In fact, we have evidence of bacteria evolving to eat nylon, a purely synthetic compound. This is an increase in genetic information by any stretch.

Oh, and here's the funny thing....more genetic information doesn't necessarily mean a better organism. A fern is currently the organism with the most genetic information. Many different organisms have more genetic information than we do, including amoebas.

Before laying to rest evolutions pointless arguments on this issue, it might be helpful to review the creationist model in detail.

You could help us by providing what you think to be the 'creationist model' in the same detail you want us to review it instead of taking blind shots at evolution and repeatedly pushing back the goal posts on evidence.

You asked for evidence of evolution, we provided plenty, you simply dismissed it without reason. You ask us to look at the creationist model...when there isn't one. It's basically "X didit" without an explanation of X or why the conclusion is drawn.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

There is no 'devolution'. Any genetic change is a form of evolution. When things evolve they don't get better, which is a common misconception in popular culture. I blame the pokemons....that makes me seem old for someone who played the game as a kid...

Anyway, evolution is just change. It's not necessarily positive and it's not necessarily negative. It simply is.

Generic? Nessie, there's a lot of really interesting stuff in the animal kingdom.

The cheetah, with speeds up to 80 mph is definitely not 'generic'
The panda
The sloth
Bush babies...those things are freaky looking!
Hell, don't even get me started on the marine life! Have you ever seen a coconut crab?
And ask Ozweatherman about the Australian wildlife. They have spiders so big you'd expect them to have health bars and then come back flashing red after you squashed them.
Or there's the white-faced saki monkey
The hagfish
The tapir
The star nosed mole
The proboscis monkey
Axolotls
Frill neck lizards
Komodo dragons
Anacondas
Hummingbirds
Capybaras
Blobfish
Hell, the infamous PLATYPUS, with its duck bill and poison stinger

All of these and more are found in the incredible variety of interesting species.

reply to post by oozyism

Ad hominem one line post, w00t.

reply to post by aliengenes

Evidence please.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Well there's a reason most of these are called living fossils.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

How many posts are you going to make based on the same non-sense? Again, you continue to make baseless statements, and claim them as factual,

Evolution is widely accepted as truth, and the reason i state it like that, is because no scientist will ever claim anything is %100 true, only religious people have such arrogance.

There is mounds of evidence supporting evolution. The term you want to explore is called abiogeneis.

As requested here are some videos, in which will hopefully at the very least, stop you from trying to spread your intellectually bankrupt arguments. Some videos on abiogenesis,

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

However it is really up to you to do your own research. To ask people to posts videos for you, is kinda like going to a church and asking a priest to tell you 'the mysteries of the universe'.

Some people want to discover truth, and some want to be told what it is.
edit on 15-12-2010 by ztruthseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

i am not an evolutionist and i do not believe in the main stream dogma. saying that, you know where i stand. i find your post to be of bad taste and without couth. this question is absolutely childish and makes creationists look bad. the question of creation or evolution will answer its self in time. creating posts to argue on the subject is pointless even if evolution is correct, creation can be correct condescendingly. this worthless battle needs to stop. just let time do the work and we all will eventually have our answers.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Planet teleX
Get off your high horse and disprove it.

You were looking for this reaction- now you have it.

I don't have to disprove anything, the task is on you guys to show proof !

so lets no try to turn this around shall we ?

I want solid proof that any layman can understand in a youtube video or something, anything.

Religion is unfalsifiable period...

Religion isn't unfalsifiable, the fact is its just plain false. Nothing more then an outdated way of keeping control over society. Perhaps it does teach morals to our children, i'll give it that. Beyond that its control plain and simple.

Science has tons of proof that everything on this planet evolved from a lesser species (so to speak)... What does religion have? A 1700 year old book thats been rewritten who knows how many times. A book which pushes belief in farie tales...

Yes i believe in God but i also believe in evolution, and religion is nothing more then a way to control people and keep the actual development of your spirit from progressing.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
we came from nothing based on nothing

You call that logical?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

None of the animals I listed are 'living fossils', they're simply prevalent species.

There is a plethora of diversity on this planet.

reply to post by Maddogkull

Well, it is illogical, that's why nobody is scientifically putting it forward. Hell, it doesn't even have anything to do with evolution, the scientific theory explaining biodiversity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join