It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Pics from ISS by NASA astronaut Wheelock

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
what a magical exsperience that would have been! to think we live their and have lives that feel like everything revolves around us... ridiculosly unecessary.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
what a magical exsperience that would have been! to think we live their and have lives that feel like everything revolves around us... ridiculosly unecessary.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Beautiful, OP

Uluru was exceptionally interesting seen from space
edit on 12/15/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

I see stars in pictures 2, 5, 17, 22, 25, 26, and 27. That's just as I'd expect, since the other subjects are far too bright. Stars are very dim compared to anything they'd photograph that's lit by the sun. To get a properly-exposed picture of something lit by sunlight, the exposure will be too short to capture the starlight.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

I suppose you know this from your days of space travel...

School of photography?

I'm not going to sit here and deny that light sources don't affect other light sources... I'm well aware they do... however... it seems a little extreme in these pictures...

The one with the moon for instance, not ONE star around it? in space?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kcfusion
Very cool pictures. Just noticed on picture 27 that there appears to be 4 objects above the earth??? Dirt on the window maybe?
they are all the planet venus

Cracking pics. Picture 19 I'm sure had a triangle in it when I saw it in the paper, must have been a bit of dirt on the paper,

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

Among other things, I do get paid to take photographs. But at any rate, if you look at the EXIF data on the original image, you'll see the exposure was 1/400th of a second, f/10 and ISO 400. That's a pretty fast shutter speed, so it's no surprise the stars aren't showing up. And this makes sense, because he's photographing the sun-lit moon, which is pretty bright, along with some scattering of the sun-lit atmosphere.

In photo 27, in which you can see a few of the brighter stars, I would expect a longer exposure. And that's exactly what we find, with a shutter speed of 1/6th of a second, f/2.8 (no ISO listed).

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I truly appreciate the factual information... thanks

I was never shouting from rooftops or anything... it just always appeared strange to me... with all of our technology... taking a picture in space I would assume many stars would be visible.

Consider me... enLIGHTened

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
All I can say is "wow." It's great to see our world from a different perspective. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Awesome pics!! Thanks so much for sharing - nice find.

For all you Scorpios out there... you can get a nice view of Scorpius in this one! The stinger is to the left, the body arcs upward, with the claw visible at right.

edit on 15-12-2010 by Thermo Klein because: changed picture size

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
nice photos.
funny though, picture 15 looks less like a mountain, and more like the site of a large meteor strike.
its reminiscent to a water drop frozen by still photography, and that's the only reason i think that a meteor may have hit the earth and formed that mountain.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Maybe I'm too pessimistic but to me the lights over Europe look like a 'planetary' cancer in its late stage. The night Cairo pic looks as if a glowing parasitic fungi has attached to Nile lol. Other than that, cool pics bro.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

Aperture, notice the brighter stars in the night scenes. Surly you jest.

Of course it's all Photoshopped.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Here's an experiment, try to take a timed exposure of the moon, even make it a crescent moon, and see if you pick up any stars. My guess is you won't unless the moon is totally overexposed and whited out. Here are a couple of ones I took.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I found this photograph particularly interesting, Source NASA..
When you look at it "The cupola" Observation platform (Russian) it looks more like an environmental sterilization chamber more than anything else, Look inside at the instrument panel all those controls, And the thickness of the armour panels to cover the glass. And if hes in space where's his suit ?. Anyways cracking photography...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

Cameras can control how much light they take in....

reply to post by foxhoundone

He is clearly not in space.

At least, not in the physical sense.
edit on 16-12-2010 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

"That's what it says on the box" Incredible Pics from ISS by NASA astronaut.

I mean if this photograph was taken at NASA's complex (on earth) why is it relevant to the ISS in space, Just curious. Its not in the cargo hold and the egress hatch is wide open, Why post this particular picture when its clearly not an orbital one,

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

The man in space took a picture of him on the station as he got ready to take pictures from that position. This is what it says. Please correct yourself by reading it again.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

To me that looks like the hatch cover not the hatch for instance look at the windows they have covers for them too.
I think the hatch cover is open because there is a astronaut outside taking the picture of the man safely inside.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Gorman and mars thanks for the correction guys, (apolz).

(24) The ‘Cupola’, attached to the nadir side of the Space Station, gives a panoramic view of our beautiful planet. Fyodor took this picture from the window of the Russian Docking Compartment (Airlock). Here I am in the Cupola preparing a camera for our late evening Hurricane Earl flyover…trying to capture the moment…(8-31-2010)

And another picture for clarification..

edit on 16-12-2010 by foxhoundone because: Add photo

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join