It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: UK Iraq Envoy Admits Absence of WMD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The former UK envoy to Iraq, Sir Jeremy Greenstock, has conceded that the suspected stockpiles of WMD's in Iraq simply 'were not there'. Speaking on the BBC's Breakfast with Frost programme Sir Jeremy said "we were wrong on the stockpiles" whilst also asserting that "we were right on the intention". The comments echoed that of David Kay last month on BBC radio 4 when, referring to Tony Blair in particular, he derided anyone still expecting to find stockpiles of weapons in Iraq as "delusional".

news.bbc.co.uk

There is no doubt that the stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction alleged to be in Iraq were not there, the former UK Iraq envoy has said.

But Sir Jeremy Greenstock told BBC One's Breakfast with Frost programme the reasons for taking action at the time were "compelling".

"We were wrong on the stockpiles. We were right on the intention," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not earth shattering news, I know. The amount of government figures deriding the claims of WMD stockpiles now probably exceed those that were convinced of there existence. I found this comment interesting though:

"It's only with hindsight that we saw that probably the Iraqis were cheating Saddam, as well as misleading us," he said.

Is he claiming the Iraqi people are responsible for the west�s insistence of the existence of WMD's or am I seeing things?

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink">US expert slams WMD 'delusions'

[edit on 4-7-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[edit on 4-7-2004 by kegs]

new topics

join