It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fifa boss jokes about Gay visitors at 2022 World Cup in Qatar?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

This does disturb me, but not for the reason so many others are disturbed by it.

He's right in his response in that it is their law. You respect the laws of your host or you don't go to that nation. But even if you did break their pathetic law in the privacy of a hotel room, who is going to know about it?

The thing that worries me is the dismissive attitude of the rest of the room.

The attitudes of the people there show that international football is NOT supportive of equality. You can literally hear people laughing because they all know what they want to say.

These are not little kids giggling about sex, these are grown adults making light of a valid issue and exposing their own ingratiated homophobia.

But, what do we expect? This is a group of people who make millions from a corrupt game. They are inherently arrogant, ignorant and generally very nasty people.They're no better than the mafia.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Very salient points.
As CX pointed out before with the excellent footage of Blatter - he didn't look very comfortable in his own skin answering that question. I don't think he was expecting it.
However, I'm not sure I entirely concur with:

He's right in his response in that it is their law. You respect the laws of your host or you don't go to that nation. But even if you did break their pathetic law in the privacy of a hotel room, who is going to know about it?

There are protest actions from global activists in many countries, and that was certainly not the logic applied to Israel when the flotillas came.

Of course one would have to decide what constitutes "sodomy" under Qatar law.
What constitutes homosexual activity?

edit on 14-12-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Of course we should respect the laws of any host nation.
But when the host nations laws are discriminatory and prejudiced it doesn't sit well with Blatters reasoning and justification for awarding the tournament to a footballing backwater like Qatar.

To progress and develop the game we must silently endorse discrimination and bigotry?

Of course it has nothing to do with financial incentives offered.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I'm sure this will be a huge problem. Aren't most soccer fans gay? I mean look at the sport they follow?

As opposed to a sport that, in between commercial breaks every 2 minutes, involves a group of muscular men bending over and sticking their tights-clad buttocks in the air, while another man is eagerly hovering behind them ?

There's only one decent football; and the American variety isn't the one.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
The thing that worries me is the dismissive attitude of the rest of the room.

The attitudes of the people there show that international football is NOT supportive of equality. You can literally hear people laughing because they all know what they want to say.

These are not little kids giggling about sex, these are grown adults making light of a valid issue and exposing their own ingratiated homophobia.

But, what do we expect? This is a group of people who make millions from a corrupt game. They are inherently arrogant, ignorant and generally very nasty people.They're no better than the mafia.

This is no surprise.

The FIFA executive members are a bunch of dinosaurs, who live in their own ivory towers, so it's no wonder that they may have a somewhat antiquated view on these matters.

Having said that, I think that the whole footballing community ( players, fans, officials ), are equally culpable and responsible for the nauseating homophobia that permeates throughout professional, amateur and youth football.

To this date, the late Justin Fashanu is the only professional footballer who has ever ''come out''.

And Brian Clough - arguably the greatest manager that ever lived - once referred to Fashanu as a ''bloody poof'' .

Football is by far the most popular sport in the world, but when people at the grass-roots level of the game are apparently not addressing this issue, then I guess that explains why young footballers aren't openly 'admitting' and displaying their homosexuality. I think that these old dinosaurs at FIFA and UEFA are the least of our concerns in breaking down these needless barriers within the beautiful game, and we should be looking closer to home !

edit on 16-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Interesting - there have been campaigns to kick homophobia out of football (I suppose following similar campaigns concerning racism).
Strange how rugby and American football are more violent on the field, while the violence in soccer is more amongst the fans.
Here they used to say:
"Football (soccer) is a gentleman's game played by hooligans.
Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen".

Here is a "Kick homophobia out of football" advert:
The effects and geographical possibilities are debatable.

edit on 16-12-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Here they used to say:
"Football (soccer) is a gentleman's game played by hooligans.
Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen".

Rugby is a sport that deals with homosexuality in a mature fashion... Unlike football.

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Originally posted by halfoldman
Here is a "Kick homophobia out of football" advert:
The effects and geographical possibilities are debatable.

That's a very powerful video.

It shows that some people wouldn't hurl homophobic abuse in a real-world scenario, yet they think it's acceptable to shout this from the terraces, cowering behind the safety of numbers.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
All of the Gulf states are fascist, Islamic extremist places run by people who display their wealth in the most grotesque way possible while running slick PR campaigns depicting them as being progressive and forward thinking. It's a natural fit for fifa.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join