It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm an "American" and Yes, most Americans are idiots!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I don't think "idiots" is necessarily the right word. "Ignorant"? Without a doubt. Not even a debate and you can add any number of modifying adverbs, like "culturally" or "historically."

Other choices: "Complacent"? Witout a doubt. Not even a debate. "Apathetic"? Without a doubt, Not even a debate.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The whole world is being dumbed down but some countries at a faster rate than others. It is hard to get decent conversations anywhere these days about things that matter. One place where I feel western civilisation is going wrong is with celebrity and hero worship. We should have mentors, not hero's. While one peddles a dream that can only be achieved by so very few, the other offers support, trust & honesty... and helps the individual become the best they can be.

IRM

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

edit on 14-12-2010 by innocenttdreams because: Personal rant.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You know...its amazing how there is one common thread that seems to bind the majority of humans overall. It is the feeling that somehow they are better than most others.

I think perhaps the OPs could start on that angle at least. Some may find your philosophy to be tripe and decide not to discuss with you what they deem as flawed. Some may find your musical taste in trendy pseudo-intellectualist music to be more pomp than talent and decide not to start there.

That person you just got done talking to that you deemed an idiot might be walking away also thinking your some zombie idiot...but at least both of you feel superior to the other

Incidently, I have been noticing your yanking statistics out of the air ungrounded...you know what thats a sign of, of course

As a person that has literally been around the world (working), I have found that there are really dumb people, and really intelligent people. (I work in IT, therefore the standard of people I rub sholders with is of course bound to be a bit more clever.)
I have noticed that Americans tend to have more grounding in the latest pop culture..actually, let me take that back. I find most westerners to be grounded in the latest trends and pop culture. Especially Americans, but oh no UK...your not getting out of this either!

Americans are statistically less educated in industrial society...thats a simple fact..however education actually doesn't have much to do with mental agility. I have met mechanics and random carpenters whom are simply brilliant, yet they do not have a head filled with random facts about french impressionistic art or paradoxical states of photons, etc. So, conversations with them about that would be a bit useless..however, if we discussed something in their line of work, they would (and have) made me feel like a complete moron.

I will say that America needs to really amp up the importance of education though...on these reality shows, toss out some random facts. That may be a good start. If you cannot stop the zombies, at least but some smart pills in the zombie juice.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I agree with you that your an idiot, however I don't see that is across the board. I'm interested in what the poster does that he runs into so many people that can't even talk about music and sports??? T

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I totally agree with the OP. One of the stars is mine for you.
The whole world is dumbed down, as someone alluded to.
However, the US is the leader of it all. Most people are more
concerned about Lindsay Loonahan, and what Cyrus smoked,
and what person is going to dance with next. You can ask 20
people on the street about the total lunar eclipse that will occur
on December 20th at 12:29 EST, and they will not have a clue.
They can tell you who is getting a divorce in Hollywood though,
and what Spears ate for dinner last night. Anyone who says
this country isn't brainwashed to the last degree with all of this
looney nonsense, IS an idiot.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Bush, Obama. Neither has done what has been expected. I think we may have more problems getting things passed through the house and the senate. I'm a moderate and have voted both Republican and Democrat in elections. It seems that each party just wants to screw the other party more than getting a job done.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Ya know, I used to say the same. I still catch myself wondering where I should move to to have intelligent conversations with people in person. I've got friends all around the world who talk to me, and guess what??? they feel the same way of the communities they live in.

It's all relative. If someone has an IQ of 130, only one in about 30-50 will be as smart or smarter if you believe in IQ actually testing intellectual potential.

The truth is that people are demoralized, and most eat crap food, and watch crap programming, etc, etc..

So just be happy to have an online community to speak with some bright folks that care. Also realize that the majority of ATS members are from the U.S.

Just get used to it. If you think it should be "normal" to talk about physics and what-not, you've got a whole lot to learn. If you really want to have a better chance, move to a higher socioeconomic area. Don't anyone go bashing me here. There's plenty of gifted among the poor, but overall you finder people of higher intellect where there's a lot of money. I'm in a rich area, and recall seeing an average of IQ by county in the region. The lower socioeconomic had belove average IQ of like 88. The richest county (mine) had an average IQ of 114. BIG difference.
edit on 14-12-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
speak for yourself. i got brains. but i chalk that up to being a native new yorker. the rest of this country frightens me.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by blaenau2000
I have stated before that only 20% of Americans have a passport, surely travelling abroad would be a good start, as the american population cant see past their TV.

My question to you would be this......whay would Americans want to visit other countries like the ones you mention when all we get are stupid comments about how we are "dumb Americans" or "stupid Yanks" or lambasted because our government is doing terrible things around the world, things which we have no control over. Who the hell wants to spend $5000 on air tickets and travel expenses to listen to that?

You also have to understand that the US is so large geographically that you can literally travel to 1,000 different places with entirely different cultures without ever leaving the country.

And to the OP, yes there are stupid people cluttering the cities and towns of the US, just like EVERY other country in the world. Perhaps you are exceptional and attempting to speak above the head of the average plebe.....or perhaps you are trying to discuss a bunch of crap nobody else cares about but you.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by blaenau2000
I have stated before that only 20% of Americans have a passport, surely travelling abroad would be a good start, as the american population cant see past their TV.

A few of them learn .. But most that have spotted stick out like sore thumbs whinging about the food.. the locals.. how great things are in amerika and why the country theyre visiting isnt like amerika.. that the locals dont speak english - many do they just ignore the idiotic comments / complaints that they hear from americans.. 9 out of 10 times see them act as mentioned and worse.. Any time when I make my trips back into the cities I avoid american tourists cant stand the arrogance and rudeness they show towards the local people and culture.. nobody in the world is perfect but must agree with the op ..

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I think people are focusing on intelligence (or lack thereof) when it sounds like the conversation should be about character (or the lack thereof).

Yes there is no question about the dumbing down of us, Americans, but the issues being addressed here are birthed from a lack of character not a lack of education. The dumbing down of America is happening but so is the "shallowing" of America as well...Thank you so much Ms. Hilton and Kardashians and pretty much every other thing that comes out of the magic box!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Warning: Rant!!!!

I have lived up North in Major Metropolitan areas like Chicago, East NJ, NY and I have also lived down South like in West Tennessee, Augusta, Ga and travel the country working with lots of different caliber of people.

And it sickens me to have to agree with this adage that Yes most Americans are pure idiots....

I think the old adage "you are who your friends are", which means usually you are a reflection of what you see in the people who surround you, holds true. Personally, I have come across all walks of life throughout the country and most people who I have met are genuinely good, interesting and interested people. Sure, there will always be "idiots' in life throughout the world, but if all you can see are idiots everywhere you look, I'd turn the all seeing eye inward and start there...
edit on 14-12-2010 by HomeBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You shouldn't really say all Americans are idiots because the truth is most people are.

Chances are 6 out of 10 people you meet a day will lack common sense no matter the country you reside in, people are idiots, not just Americans.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

If you are referring to Americans as a "herd" then I agree, but only insofar as all people, regardless of race, nationality, religion, or other affiliation are idiots when looked upon as a herd.

But my agreement ends when discussing individuals. Of all the people I have interacted with one on one, the vast majority had something to offer. Maybe they weren't brilliant thinkers, but most made up for it in other ways. Most people have something to offer. Most people, when taken out of the tribe mentality, are good hearted.

I guess what I am saying is this... The kid in this video might not be able to discuss quantum entanglement with you, but he'd make YOU seem like the idiot when the banjos come out of the case.

If you are having a hard time finding merit in others I have two suggestions... Let go of your own expectation sets and judgmentalisms, and look for what others offer instead of what they lack!

~Heff

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I think perhaps the OPs could start on that angle at least. Some may find your philosophy to be tripe and decide not to discuss with you what they deem as flawed. Some may find your musical taste in trendy pseudo-intellectualist music to be more pomp than talent and decide not to start there.

More pomp than talent? Wow ok ...... well let me add to the list ......of course I didn't add the classic rockers like Zepplin, Hendrix, Doors .......grew up with that in heavy rotation. Hip Hop? Already did the Golden era with Nas, Wu, Poor Righteous Teachers, etc. Classical ...yeah I love all the Beethovens and Mozarts but its the same songs over and over. Give me some Phillip Glass and I'm happy.

I did music production for 12 years in studios across the U.S ...I think that would entitle a more well rounded and professional opinion on what's good versus the average everyday Joe, would it not? Just like I would take a broke car to mechanic or a chipped sword to a blacksmith.....

Bjork is a phenom ......you can tell if you catch a documentary on her or listen to her "a cappella" where the microtonals, coloration, and intricacies in her voice are truly something magical.

Same thing with The National's latest album. After 20 spins of it, it just has soul, and moves me in a way. Sigur Ros an awesome blend of Rock/Ambient/Avant Garde .....but it psuedo-intellectual music? HA yeah ok if thats your assumption that Im some kind of hipster yuppie that fancies themselves an intellectual.

But the truth is, besides some college, I've studied myself in my spare time all sorts of subjects and would rather be undefined by any labels. Give me ego death, revolution, and absolute truth any day of the week.

Look I agree we all have strengths and weaknesses and I enjoy people just for the sake that they are in the same dilemma as me, this existence. I know a watchmaker or a master craftsman of some sort will destroy me in their area of expertise. Yes its relative and no I dont think Im better than anyone else.

Im just saying ....lets put out a bunch of topics like geography, history, philosophy. physics, math, politics, current world events, etc etc....

There is just a TON of idiots and many of them don't even have some kind of mastery or craftsmanship under their belts ...which is fine. Perhaps there is a purpose behind the zombification of America

You want me to ground this on something? Use google yourself. Its a fact the education level in America is laughable compared to Europe, Asia, etc. Check statistics yourself. We have youtube videos on average Americans being asked questions that are so simple a 2nd grader knows them, Jay Leno does skits asking people questions to reveal how dumb they are, and you can check for yourself as well by bringing up conversations and very carefully testing others to see if there are some who have at least a half a brain

This was coming from direct experience from dealing with alot of people in corporate, payroll, welders, carpenters, accountants, c.e.o's, and whatever else in between.

The "herd" is ruled by desires, sensory stimulation, and selfishness all of which is programmed into human beings for a purpose!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join