It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution is boring, What does it mean to you ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

you and a few others here have great responses, worthy of reading...

You know I am just responding to all the attacks and attack titles the evolutionist are using (not naming names here) but such closed mindedness and dictation get people nowhere.

btw: the creationist I guess you are referring to always use God as an answer because it is the Why... maybe you do not understand enough about creationist to discern this ? but there is only one way to find out what those people mean when they say that... though I have a feeling they never would have pulled that card if they were not attacked first relentlessly just because evolutionist think they are being cool in front of their friends saying they do not believe in God.

I grew outta that

If the mods can not realize a character attack in a thread title then we need some better unbiased mods !

edit on 12/14/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
When you learn what evolution actually states, what it means, and how it operates - then couple that with natural selection...you begin to see how everything fits together, and how it works.
It takes time for this to happen to a degree where it is majorly noticeable. You wouldn't even be able to perceive it if you could live long enough to watch it in action - much the same way parents aren't aware how much their kids have grown over the winter until they try to squeeze them into last years swimsuit the next summer.
I doubt the intentions of anyone who asks these sort of questions in forums, knowing there is a blend of supporters and opposers, when a simple query into any search engine will produce bountiful results ranging from the overly simple to the highly technical. Science is ever-changing, as new information becomes available. It is ever-expanding as our knowledge increases. I would much rather put my faith in this, than a religion. Any religion.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

coming from someone who has not studied theology I take your comments with a grain of salt...

I think I read your post to the second sentence I am not sure, but how can they mock something they do not understand ?

No evolutionist or religion attacker knows enough about the religion they wish to attack, otherwise I have a feeling they wouldn't do it at all...

that's after they take a long look in the mirror.
edit on 12/14/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Seriously? That's your response?

I haven't studied fairy-ology, or gnome-ology either, yet I CAN say with a pretty fair degree of accuracy that neither of the two exist.
I spent two decades in the Xtian churches, varying denominations, and I know the theology well enough to know I don't wish to know anything else about it.
I couldn't care less how you take my comments. You have the right to believe in as many imaginary friends as you want to.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Evolution is happening all around us. We witness other plants and animals evolve, yet we wont accept the fact that we may have done the same. Evolution is adaption. We adapt to our surroundings, and we are hella good at it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Actually evolution isn't something life is influenced by or is what life does or follows as a guide line.

Evolutions is only an explanation that tells about the changes in life as we found evidence and so on.

Life for that matter or actually that what life has done in the past , e.g. changing adapting to explain it evolution is the perfect for what the world around us showed us

Not a way but an explanation of how the way operates like it does

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Did you guys even read the thread-title? "Evolution is boring". Did you read it? Or did you just read the "Evolution" part?

The OP is obviously un-caring of any evidence he is provided for Evolution, as it is boring for him. It's not that he doesn't understand, or is un-educated in it, he simply does not care for it, as it is boring. You are wasting your time with him, his post even shows subtle disdain for evolution, with tongue-in-cheek comments as "evolution is a religion". He is merely baiting you. I already saw the first few replies that answer his questions and he sweeps them under the rug as a "Character attack".

edit on 14-12-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The universe (and everything in it) is evolution.

Not really all that boring, just presently out of reach, for the most part.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

well that's cool, I guess God or whatever one wishes to call it Created evolution then.

I am a creationist and an evolutionist ! is that weird or what ?

Evolution is just under the topics everyone else is on... imo, boring.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Its a odd question but i will bite; I am a big fan of evolution because i prefer peeing into a flushing toilet and using a fork.
Oh and i like central air and heat. Boring? Only if you are the one it missed.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sadwolf

it holds no weight any more thats what I mean by boring... it's the same thing over and over for decades now, the Evos use it to attack others no matter their stance.

I recently watched a documentary dealing with what the general populace though about evolution in other non-anglophone countries and you would be quite amazed... I will try to find it online for you.

the LHC looking for the God particle is much more interesting I might add as alot of new branches of science are.

I admit I reap the rewards of evolution too... if that's what you wish to call it

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

the creationist I guess you are referring to always use God as an answer because it is the Why... maybe you do not understand enough about creationist to discern this ?

Seeing as how from age 16 to 19 I was a Creationist I think I'm in a pretty good position to discern how they think and why they use God as an answer. Any gap in science is filled with God. Because Creationism has no scientific evidence of its own it must rely on straw-manning Evolution and attempting to point out holes in the theory, whether real or made up. That's why most Creationists have stopped pushing for Creationism to be taught in science class, what they actually want is for "challenges to Evolution" to be taught, which just means they want to set up their straw-men of Evolution and knock them down.

When I was a Creationist I was arrogant, I wrongly believed that Evolutionists were just trying to deny the obvious (God). I thought that the Creationist websites I frequented gave me both sides of the argument, it wasn't until years later that I discovered I'd been lied to. Many Creationists fear that Evolution leads to unbelief in God, in actuality it wasn't until after I lost my faith in God that I finally sat down and looked at the evidence for Evolution.

though I have a feeling they never would have pulled that card if they were not attacked first relentlessly

Here on ATS Creationism does get attacked but I don't see a reason why anyone should go easy on it. In the academic community the only time it gets attacked is when people try to push it into science classes. As interesting and fun as Creation stories are they have no place in science class and attempting to weaken Evolution by setting up straw-men and feeding kids false information is unacceptable - yet that's just what Creationist leaders want to do.

While the pro-Evolution crowd here on ATS might seem overly vocal and overzealous to you I think they've done a very good job explaining to Creationists and people on the fence why Evolution is the predominant theory and why Creationism doesn't even hold a candle to it.

In my case, having been a Creationist, having been deceived, I feel an obligation to deny ignorance on the subject

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

In about 20 or so posts, you have failed to make any rational sensible statement. You have clearly demonstrated that you have little understanding of what your talking about, and have failed to convey any particular point or meaning.in your posts. You have used flawed reasoning, and circular arguments to make abstract points.

Evolution is based of off evidence. Religion is based on feelings and no evidence.

Religion has become obsolete. All arguments for religion have been refuted, God no longer fits into the world, everything that happened in ancient times which was attributed to the tens of thousands of Gods have no been discovered to have natural causes. Plate tectonics, germs, volcanoes, blindness, leperacy, lightning, volcanoes, bacteria, weather, vigilant crusading raiders, stars, etc etc etc.

Evolution, to me, puts beauty, perspective, and understanding into the world. Upon any close inspection, i can appreciate the unique characteristics of any form of life.

Please make sense of your next posts, and maybe try and make a point, stop wilh the abstract nonsense pseudo-scientific rambling. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
reply to post by xiphias

well that's cool, I guess God or whatever one wishes to call it Created evolution then.

I am a creationist and an evolutionist ! is that weird or what ?

Evolution is just under the topics everyone else is on... imo, boring.

I don't think it's weird. It's more logical to combine creationism with evolution than to deny evolution or creationism altogether.

The funny thing is that both religion and science are definitely byproducts of evolution. The question, now, is whether these are byproducts of some "magical" force or just occurred by chance. Science might be suprised to discover the logic of "magic"; and religion might be surprised to discover the "magic" of science.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

The Theory of Evolution contributes to our understanding of life, and understanding life specifically helps us in developing improved and new medical applications.

"a theory that the various types of animals and plants have their origin in other preexisting types and that the distinguishable differences are due to modifications in successive generations..."[3] Currently, there are several theories of evolution.

Sorry, you're wrong. The Theory of Evolution is a scientific theory. There is one "Theory of Evolution".

Evolution, the process, is the change in the genome of a population over time. The (scientific) Theory of Evolution is a set of explanations of how the process works and why it happens, and can be used to predict when it will happen and why it will happen.

Evolution (the process) =/= Theory of Evolution (scientific theory)

Originally posted by xiphias
I don't think it's weird. It's more logical to combine creationism with evolution than to deny evolution or creationism altogether.

Ummm.... no. The process of evolution and the Theory of Evolution are both based on hard science. Creationism is a pseudo-science; it hasn't been shown empirically and misrepresents a lot of things that are, again, based on hard science.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
God? what god? There is no need for god in this day and age. Evolution when understood for what it really is, makes makes more sense then any BS you'll find in the bible or any "holy" text. Creationists are brainwashed, theologists study mythologies. How about we assume Zeus created the world and call it a day?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina
Evolution is simply the change and adaptation of life over time. It is not a religion and is a theory. When new facts and evidence are found the theory is able to change and include the new facts or evidence. Creationism is religion and for most is based off the Bible. It is not able to change or adapt to evidence or facts. The Bible contradicts itself and disproves a Bible based Creationism. It can not be taught in school or any academia because of all the contradictions and myths.

You know I have never believed creationism and evolution were Mutually exclusive ( a one or the other proposition).

I mean Say there actually is a "supreme being"( and the data is still out on that one) couldn't he design a universe with its own physical laws and use the phenomenon ( mechanism) of "evolution " as a part of this "creation"?

edit on 15-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Evolution has changed every aspect of our lives from guns to computer to space travel. I think evolution is cool.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
Also, Evolution isn't a religion or a religious viewpoint. Evolution is based on evidence and anyone of any religion is free to believe in it providing they've decided to not take a silly creation story in an old dusty book as the absolute truth.

then answer me this... why are they 10X worse than some christian knocking on your door ?

they have chose to bring religious undertones into their debate yet it is so small compared to other fields of modern science, I mean a kid could come up with evolution and you could say sciences' train of thought has evolved since then.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER had an "Evolutionist" knock on my door and try to "Save My Mortal Soul" by "Converting" me to their way of thinking.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

So what does evolution really mean to you ?

You've cited many definitions (contrary to your request), those are great technical definitions.

My subjective view on the subject is this: Evolution is a theory that help explains why organisms are slightly unique, why they are alike, etc. It is a great theory that has been backed by numerous amounts of evidence (cited in this thread plenty of times)

I say this: facts are supported by evidence. These are objective texts. Any subjective text is ruled out quite easily because it means nothing to the base of theories itself.

My view on theories' authenticity is not affected by my subjective view on it (it is against my upbringing, it is being forced in my face, it is a minor piece of fact of life) I find the theory of creationism and its subordinates quite interesting; this does not let me up to believe them as fact though.

edit on 15-12-2010 by SinsMayburn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join