It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pole dancing to make it to the 2016 Olympics??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I was watching the news and saw that there is a chance pole aerobics/dancing could make it to the Olympics as "arial art or dance." To this I say AWESOME!!!

The founder of the International Pole Dance Fitness Association says her organization is in talks with the International Olympic Committee to make pole-dancing a "test" sport, as "aerial arts" grows in popularity around the world.

"It's not just one workout," Przeplasko said, explaining the reason behind pole dancing's rise. "When you pole dance, you combine jogging, weightlifting, and dancing all together."

source

Information on the annual Pole Dancing World Championships in Tokyo
Pole Dancing World Championships

As someone who can do a lot of this stuff I know the practice and hours put into perfecting it. It takes skill and athleticism and it's not easy. Not everyone can do it believe me. You practice for hours and you get injuries and recover and get right back up and do it again. People think of it in a bad sense because it's associated with adult entertainers or "strippers," I prefer entertainer but these people have no idea how much these girls and guys practice and work hard to do these "tricks" that most think seem to defy gravity. I have been an entertainer on and off for years and pole work has won me lots of money which in turn helped pay for my tuition. Any time there was a contest I entered and I usually won. A few times I got second but it's easy cash and an awesome work out!

I am always amazed when I see what others can do because everyone has their own style. It looks easy some say but it really isn't and to make it look graceful and flow takes many hours of practice, bruises and sore bones and muscles. I personally think it would be awesome to see this in the Olympics! I will support this for sure. I see things like ping pong and water polo as sports and I don't judge those, they take skill that many don't have so I think it's time something that takes real athleticism makes it to the Olympics! It's a very popular class in gyms across the US and other countries. I have taught lessons myself. When I am done with my job early next year I will no doubt put a pole up to continue working out with. It is the best work out I have ever had! I don't care for gyms and this I enjoy and work out all my muscles and I cardio! It's a great ab workout too!

Here is some pole art

This chick is insane but awesome. She is the Australian Champ
and a Cirque de Soleil perfomer.

Here is the winner from this year's competition.

** I am not going to take ANY insults in regards to this so if you have negativity towards this or dancers MOVE along. This is for discussion of a sport!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I know a few pole dancers and they are STRONG girls and it does as you say take real skill dedication and practice to be able to do it well, actually my niece also does pole dancing as exercise, but not in clubs.

Interestingly when the modern Olympics first started they had a lot wider range of events including completely non sports related things like poetry and town planning

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I know a few pole dancers and they are STRONG girls and it does as you say take real skill dedication and practice to be able to do it well, actually my niece also does pole dancing as exercise, but not in clubs.

Interestingly when the modern Olympics first started they had a lot wider range of events including completely non sports related things like poetry and town planning

Yes it takes a lot of skill. I have competed myself many times. It's always nice when you go to a competition and others won't compete because you are entering lol. I was asked a couple years ago to head a class at a local gym but I turned it down. I just didn't have the time then. I would do it now though in a heart beat. I taught classes years ago in another town and I have done private lessons for dancers and clients that were non-dancers. I enjoy the work out much more than I ever did going to a gym. I blast the music and just do my thing for an hour and that is all you really need.

I never knew that they had poetry and town planning in the original Olympics. Interesting. I will have to look that up and see what else they had.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Bring it on!
My house mates gf does pole dancing in our house she has a pole in our second lounge!! She's very good too for an amateur, but I think my housemate could take gold in male pole dancing, Im going to encourage him to practice a lot more than I usually do. heh
edit on 14-12-2010 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I would quite like it if they included cheer leading too. It's way more exciting to watch then the standard gymnastics routines.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Btw, there's more than a handful of countries that will have a problem with this ...
There's also a few countries who's grooming standards should precipitate the question, do we really want this?

edit on 14 Dec 2010 by schrodingers dog because: added smiley for clarity

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
You can bet the ratings will SOAR for this competition.

Personally, I still say that the last Olympics' gold medal for women's beach volleyball should have gone to the cameraman.

That guy was at the top of his game.

I've been told I have issues though.
edit on 14-12-2010 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I agree there are certain levels of cheerleading that take a lot of talent and athleticism, esp ones with the gymnastic aspects to it. Those jumps and moves aren't easy! I think dancing like high kick should also be in there as well. I was on my HS dance team and we were national champs! It takes hours of practice to get everyone in line and do the routines. People tend to think it's nothing and that not a lot of skill is involved but that is far from the truth. I have always loved dance in all forms and I respect those who do it as in my eyes it's an art form. One of my favorite sports at the Olympics to watch is Rhythm Gymnastics. I always wanted to do that.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I call equipment manager!

Btw, there's more than a handful of countries that will have a problem with this ...
There's also a few countries who's grooming standards should precipitate the question, do we really want this?

There are a handful of countries who have a problem with everything.

There is nothing wrong with this and the grooming standards comment is kind of not needed. The same could be said for those in gymnastics uniforms. It's easier to wear the outfits they do because it's easier to grip and you won't slide although many practice in typical work out gear. Some of the costumes worn by competitors are amazing and hand made and beautiful, just as some of the ones seen in various sports at the Olympics.

People need to separate the "stripper" part and get a clue.

Yes many want this. It's a sport and many of these people who perform are performers in various shows like Cirque de Soleil. It's beautiful to watch honestly. If you have ever watched some of the top performers they are so graceful and everything flows. These girls/guys work for months on their routines and skill. I know I have been there and done that. I receive many compliments on my ability to be graceful and make it an art form and I am not ashamed by it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Sheesh m, I'm all for it, and I am quite aware of the physical and artistic nature of it ... I was just having a little fun with the grooming comment, no need to jump on me.

There's a long standing debate with the olympics as to what constitutes a sport, on one side some interpret any physical activity as sport others have a more narrow definition. Heck I have no idea why they took softball and baseball out other than to spite the US.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

There's a long standing debate with the olympics as to what constitutes a sport, on one side some interpret any physical activity as sport others have a more narrow definition. Heck I have no idea why they took softball and baseball out other than to spite the US.

Maybe it's got something to do with the small issue of who in the world plays these sports in any high numbers? The "World Series" is a fine example...

Who else, apart from the USofA has Cheerleading, Pole Dancing, Baseball etc competitions? It kinda narrows the field a bit and begins to look like a cynical medal grabbing attempt.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I would guess it's because no other countries ever really play Baseball to any level but then looking it up it seems that Cuba mostly won the gold
They replaced it with Golf... Oh dear.

As for the grooming thing, even though I realise it was said as a joke, I do think there may well be a good case for looking into the way some countries treat their athletes, and some standards put into place, especially amongst the sports where very young people are competing. I'm looking at you China and Russia

The Olympics are supposed to be a celebration of skill and athleticism so Pole Dancing should definitely qualify

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Wow!

That's really very cool.

I could never do such things, I am very clumsy. Have to keep in shape the boring way - weightlifting. I do outdoor things too though, that's fun.

Inspires me to get in better shape. I have some renovation projects to do - knocking down walls and hauling garbage is not very glamorous or exciting, erg. Works as exercise though.

Ahaha - I can't even do aerobics! I tried to take a class once - I couldn't follow along - I'm so uncoordinated. I'm sure I got a workout, and provided some comedy, but yeah - can't do it. "Tuesday's child is full of grace". That's a lie

Again, awesome videos!

I think it should be in the Olympics.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

There are plenty of Pole dancing classes and competitions in England and most of Europe

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Sheesh m, I'm all for it, and I am quite aware of the physical and artistic nature of it ... I was just having a little fun with the grooming comment, no need to jump on me.

I understand that but those kind of comments lead to others and then next thing you know it's off topic and everyone is making unneeded comments unrelated to the post. That is all I am saying. I know your humor.

Yeah I often wonder how some things got into the olympics and what qualifies it as an "Olympic Sport"

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

Maybe it's got something to do with the small issue of who in the world plays these sports in any high numbers? The "World Series" is a fine example...

Who else, apart from the USofA has Cheerleading, Pole Dancing, Baseball etc competitions? It kinda narrows the field a bit and begins to look like a cynical medal grabbing attempt.

Um look it up before you make comments you know nothing about. Competitors of this sport come from ALL over the world. I bet you didn't even read the links, just assumed. The International Pole Dancing Championships take place in Tokyo yearly and competitors come from ALL over the world, hence the term International.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Hell..let's just have lap dances in the Olympics. I'm sure that requires skill, practice, flexibility, and a certain amount of endurance.

Hey...let's just have sex in the Olympics...it can get pretty acrobatic.

Sorry...I'm not a supporter of including pole dancing in the olympics...and I don't think cheerleading is a sport either.

Pole dancing isn't even recognized as a sport yet...and even if it does...here is a list of other sports that I would support getting into the Olympics before it.

Karate
MMA
Football
Rugby
Golf
Sumo
Rock Climbing
Water Skiing
Bowling
Baseball (recently excluded)
Softball (recently excluded)
Inline Skating
Skateboarding
Surfing
Polo
Raquet ball

IMO...pole dancing just hasn't been around long enough...or that widely practiced to be considered for the Olympics.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Mblah gets so defensive

easy ...... easy Tiger.

no one is bashing pole dancing, .....

on the other hand, .... do you know how one might come about becoming a judge ?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

no one is bashing pole dancing, .....

.... well,

that was before OS came along of course.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Hell..let's just have lap dances in the Olympics. I'm sure that requires skill, practice, flexibility, and a certain amount of endurance.

Hey...let's just have sex in the Olympics...it can get pretty acrobatic.

You just had to troll huh?? STOP TROLLING ANYTHING I POST. I have had it with you.

You can't compare this to sex or lap dancing and lap dancing and sex take NO skill. So go away!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join