It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans need guns? Rip UP the Second Amendment, problem solved.

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
OP im having a hard time figuring out if your American. I thought you were from the EU till I realized you would know the downfall's of an unarmed public. I understand your feelings but you need to understand that if we were required to turn in our firearmes the majority of us would but I can guarentee you the criminals who own illegal guns will not disarm. Thats what happned in Europe, petty crimes went way up after they disarmed.

The main reason the second amendment is there is to protect us from a tyrannical government not our neighbours. I own one of those so called scary assault rifles you refer to, my gun isnt made just to kill like so many people think. It's more of a deterrent, anyone remember the video of the guy protecting his family from a mob of people with his assault rifle during the Oakland riots. Thats why we can buy these scary weapons. A fully automatic belt fead M-60 is built for killing people, my gun is mainly for target practice. My shotgun if more for persional protection than my assault rifle is.

A gun is a gun, it just depends who is weilding it. Becides I know im like 6,000 times more likely to be killed by my doctor than a nutjob with a gun. Op if your American you should embrace your freedoms buy a gun you may learn they are not as bad as you think.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

You think you are a citizen, until the govt decides you are a subject. Why is it that the 21st century thinks it exists outside of history, or that we have somehow solved all of history's problems? There will be more genocides, wars, revolutions and protests. It's just how the world works. I'd like to get your take on what you would do if some random thug with a gun tried to steal your car after work one night? Just give him the car and wish for more gun laws? Call the cops after the fact and let them see if they can find the guy before he sells your car? Or try to stop him from taking the car in the first place?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
"Go tell it to the Spartans, thou who passes by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie."

Many American servicemen (and a few women) have paid the ultimate sacrifice to insure that our Founding Fathers' great document of individual liberty, the Constitution, which established a government of these united states (now the United States of America) after the declaration of independence from the tyranny of the king and his colonial government of your country, the UK, lives and will continue to be the law of the land for posterity as well. That concept (self defense on a collective scale granted as an individual right) combined with the original english common law of the 'castle defense' (which allows one to defend his home (and by implication, his person) as his castle by the bearing of arms is paramount to all liberties being defended from all foes (from burglary to tyranny).

Hunting was not the raison d'etre for the 2nd Amendment (the right to provide food for your family by harvesting animals is inherent to mankind provided that one doesnt poach on other's property). Government in this country comes from the people not by some divine right of monarchy or an omnipotent centralized government. I know that the UK is not Nazi Germany (or Soviet Russia under Stalin or Communist China under Mao) but maybe you should ask a German Jew holocaust survivor what they think about the issue.......

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
reply to post by glimmerman

I don’t have a gun, I am a citizen, not a subject.

Why is it that America is so different, why is that other countries can do without them yet America cant. You should have ripped up the second amendment in the 50’s.

Why is it you do not understand the american government has so freely allowed horrible harden criminals to run rampit Why is it you do not understand the american government cannot stop the drug cartels/drug wars from effecting our neighborhoods, children our very lives. Why is it you do not understand if we do not bear arms we loose our freedoms our lives? Why is it alright for the drug dealers to posses illegal weapons but I cannot posses registered weapons? why is it ok for the gangs to posses illegal weapons yet i cannot posses legal registered weapons? What you are not realizing is our unregistered uncontrolled level of crime has risen to such a degree to those of us who abide by the law and register our weapons have created a safe haven for ourselves and our families. The police, the government cannot handle the level of crime america endures each and every day. SO yes I bear arms to protect me against the high crime, and of course against the government...Think about what I just said

link   

I don’t have a gun, I am a citizen, not a subject.

Why is it that America is so different, why is that other countries can do without them yet America cant. You should have ripped up the second amendment in the 50’s.

Why is it you do not understand the american government has so freely allowed horrible harden criminals to run rampit Why is it you do not understand the american government cannot stop the drug cartels/drug wars from effecting our neighborhoods, children our very lives. Why is it you do not understand if we do not bear arms we loose our freedoms our lives? Why is it alright for the drug dealers to posses illegal weapons but I cannot posses registered weapons? why is it ok for the gangs to posses illegal weapons yet i cannot posses legal registered weapons? What you are not realizing is our unregistered uncontrolled level of crime has risen to such a degree to those of us who abide by the law and register our weapons have created a safe haven for ourselves and our families. The police, the government cannot handle the level of crime america endures each and every day. SO yes I bear arms to protect me against the high crime, and of course against the government...Think about what I just said

link   

You left Canada off of that list. Strange, no roundup of civilians here so far. No government sponsored massacres.
Hmmm. Seems a little something wrong with your logic.

Because you Americans have the right to bear arms, you actually now have the need to bear them. I could see where being the odd one out without a weapon would put you at a disadvantage, unless you are the supreme pacifist.

You are actually being strangled by that freedom you hold so dear. You have no choice. You must conform to the violence. I could go on and on, but your quality of life suffers as a result of it. I wouldn't want to live in that kind of fear and mistrust. But hey, I'm jealous right?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by prexparte

did not intend the double post my baaad

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I can honestly say that is the best point made is this thread thus far.

Well done!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

reply to post by wayno

I can honestly say that is the best point made is this thread thus far.

Well done!

canada also does not have the crime issues america contends with each and every day. canada also does not have the government america contends with each and every day

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If the government rid all the rapist, all the gangs, the drug cartel, these animals who carry illegal weapons yes I would give up my weapons

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Why I need a gun? How about why do you need a car? They kill more people every year than guns.

Or a swimming pool? Why do you need a swimming pool, they kill more children a year than guns.

But can a swimming pool protect me? Help me hunt for my family? Protect me against against powers within and without?

No.

Can a car provide me with a 'well regulated militia' that's the 'most natural defense of a free country'?

No.

Why do I need a gun?

Because - It's my right, that's why.

And I can assure you, when the ‘woop’ hits the fan? Who will most people be hiding behind?

The man or woman with the gun.

peace

What more can we say, the world has seen many times over what happens to people who are not armed to defend themselves against oppression and tyranny. NONE of the civilized world would be here had there been no arrows, spears, knives or GUNS. What kind of an idiot can even begin to put up an arguement AGAINST personal safety and liberty?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Canada doesnt have a lot of things the US has. Crime wise Canada doesnt have the population density of the US high crime areas nor does it have the minority populations of these areas.

Comparing Canada to the U.S. is like comparing Vermont to L.A..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Hi. I live in the UK too but my view on this is completely the opposite. I wish we had the right to own guns here, entirely for the purposes of self defence.

You say you've never known anyone who owned a gun; I put it to you that you have and they just haven't told you. I've known several people who've owned firearms in the uk. Both legally and illegally. Sometimes they are shady characters, sometimes they are not. I also know people who have been attacked in various horrible ways who were unarmed and unable to defend themselves and really would've benefited from the legal ownership of a firearm.

Basicaly what I'm saying is that the idea that guns arnt available in this country is a complete lie. Get yourself a secure box and you have the requirements for a shotgun licence. I once met a kid who had a gun that looked like a pen and only fired one shot.

Would I be safer if everyone had guns? Surely then all the criminals would have guns? Perhaps. But I'm a pretty good shot so i'd prefer to take my chances armed if I had the choice.

I think the real question is this- "who decided that we DON'T have the right to kill when needed?"

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Excellent simple retort for private gun ownership---as far as I am concerned this thread is a moot point since Americans as well as Texans support gun ownership to preserve and protect our Constitutional freedoms enumrated in the BILL OF RIGHTS!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Because you Americans have the right to bear arms, you actually now have the need to bear them.

And the logic in this statement is, where again?

Poppycock.

peace

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Canada doesnt have a lot of things the US has. Crime wise Canada doesnt have the population density of the US high crime areas nor does it have the minority populations of these areas.

Comparing Canada to the U.S. is like comparing Vermont to L.A..

Exactly right compare our population density. We have a society of out of control people, who are know feeling extremely deserate for reason stemming anywhere from not working for months to over a year,he lose of home, fear because of the newness of Islam-knowing we have sleeper cells, drug cartel, gangs, on and on and on...america has a level of stress that stems beyond the imagenation. This stress level has heightened in the past year to a critical level. It is so high it scares me. So we have our guns to give us confort. We are not ready to run to the streets and fire them off. Not us legal law obiding citizens. What you need to realize is, us law obiding citizens want calm we dont want the crime level however because it is out of control we law obiding citizens NEED our weapons to protect ourselves. Our government and the law-police cannot do it. Many innocent people get slaughtered waiting for officials to help them. Not me, If a time came and I need help the law has a minimal amount of time to help me, that time would be my life or the one who thinks he is going to take my life. fact is fact in america it is every man for himself when it comes to unlawful against the lawful

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

As for you...

Ask one THIS GUY, one of your countrymen, how he'd of felt about guns.

Without Patriots like Wallace, and others like him, unafraid to DO WHAT'S RIGHT - and FIGHT TYRANNY - you my friend would be what? You'd be having 'bubble and squeak' for lunch along with a nice cup’a tea (‘God Save the Queen’) and the world would only know about Scotland from history lessons.

peace - through guns!

(Added note: I know the speech is not exactly correct but the idea is - and the intent behind it.)
edit on 15-12-2010 by silo13 because: peace

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

there is alot more things to consider. honestly dude you dont have a clue. you want to know how Texas get crime rate as low as what it is. also consider they have alot of drug cartel and some major crazy s in that area. but they keep the crime rate low. btw that state has a very relaxed gun law. alot of people have there firearms right with them at all times. here is where you have to think like the criminal. you going to brake in and rob a house that is allowed to defend them selfs that more then likely they will find the owner with a gun. or you going to goto the house that prob dont have any defense for them selfs? hmm who is at risk and who is safe?
Not only that but with in the past 3 months we have had a few nut jobs that just brakes into peoples houses and kill entire family's. now this last one happened only about 35 min from where i live some dude was sticking body's inside a tree killed mother a 13 year old girl and raped her and a 10 year old boy only the father got away wile the house was on fire.
one last note as you "spit" on my rights to protect my family. i feel the same about your rights for air.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

And one more thought for you, if I could I would move to canada and become a humbling the non weapon citizen. I dispise living in these terms

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Can't say I would. I enjoy IDPA, 3-gun, plates and a host of other shooting sports too much. I left an AWB state for a non-AWB state so I could use what I wanted to. No way I'm going to a ban country and have to give it all up.

FYI to everyone: today is Bill of Rights day. So strap on a gun, send your "representative" a nasty letter, kick a soldier out of your house, refuse to provide ID to a cop, stand in town hall and pray to whatever you want to, and rock the ninth anyway you see fit.
edit on 15-12-2010 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join