It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans need guns? Rip UP the Second Amendment, problem solved.

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
It's already illegal to kill people, rob people, rape people, and shoot people. Why does it also need to be illegal to own guns?

Also, you say that you don't see the government rounding people up... well, take our guns away and you'd sure see it. What's stopping them now is when their advisers show them casualty estimates that exceed the number of pigs they can send to come get us.

See, you don't need to pull out your gun and mow down every cop and soldier that comes through your door until the government surrenders. You just have to put up a fight. You wouldn't do it for yourself, you would do it for the greater good. Maybe 20 troops kick in your door and take your guns, and you take one out before the other 19 kill you. Then they move on to the next armed household, kill the homeowner there, take a loss, and leave with 18 people.

80 million registered gun owners. There's only 2 million people in the U.S. military. Tanks, helicopters, jets, and armored cars are useless if there's nobody left to run them.

Oh, and... this other thing. Shred the Constitution and regulate free speech? Do it in your own police state, not my free country! I think you're just trollin,' homeboy.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

This is what keeps our government at bay. When the populace finally wakes up about the patriot act, the TSA gropings, etc.. the feds got a fight coming and this is what'll be leading.

I'll keep my God, I'll keep my guns, you keep the change.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

To keep the government in check.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I dont revel in death nor do I endorse it but I've done what I had to do. I dont want to kill but dont get me wrong I wouldnt bat an eye thinking about it. I dont think killing is cool but it is a part of reality. With every life comes a death, a sad truth .Theres an on/off switch in all of us the trouble is once you find it can it be undone?

SM2

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
What makes people in other countries think we really give a rat's ^%$ what think about our rights or our society?
I really do no lose a second of sleep over some whiney european crying over me owning a gun collection.

Yes I carry everyday, a sig p226 ( you europeans sure do make a fine firearm btw). I do not carry because i fear my fellow man as some have said here. I do not carry because i want to invite violence. I carry because it is my right to do so. I happen to believe a right not utilized is at risk to fade away.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
You can pry my guns from my cold dead hands.

Although, when push comes to shove, I'll be prying the granola bars from your cold dead hands, because dirty hippies eat that stuff.

Just jokes, but in all honesty, I want my gun, In a time of need I can hunt with it, defend myself and deter theft altogether.

The ONLY people who dont want guns are sheep. You are food for the government and your word is meaningless in the world of a predator who will kill to survive and continue our species in the event of a global calamity.

So when you and your hippie brethren have run out of granola and starved to death in your high rise condo, I'll be roasting wild pig in the forest living in a willow frame hut.

Blessed journey to you my livestock friend,

-G

edit; heres an afterthought, most of you hipsters WILL want guns when the time comes, but it will be too late for you to get one, unless you murder one of us more prepared folks in our sleep, but chances are the cops will have already dragged you into a fema camp by then.

edit on 15-12-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Brood

And your simply an idiot because you can't seem to understand people have free will, Ok Hitler? Does that get it through to you? Your internet argument isn't going to change lives. Why is it that gun owners the "ignorant red necks" that we are according to just about everyone who doesnt own a gun can understand gun ownership is a personal choice. We dont give a crap if you dont own a gun thats fine it's your choice. But for some reason you can't accept the fact of us owning a gun. All those countries that prohibit guns are also out of control police states if you havent noticed. Get over it or move to France.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
"You can take my gun when you pry it from my dead cold hands..."
This is a line that the government of the US finds quite acceptable.
Waco? All about gun control, really. Won't give up your assault rifles? Fine, we'll pry them from your 'cold' (actually hot) dead hands.

If you are a gun owner, and you really, REALLY know how to use that thing, tell me why you need an automatic assault rifle. If you can't do it with one shot, is 53 going to make a difference? If yes, you really aren't a very responsible gun owner.

Sensible gun control is all I look for. A little bit of common sense, a background check, and the idea that you only have one pair of hands. Do you really need 105 different weapons?
I get home protection to a point, but if you "need" an AR-15 with added widgets it might be time to rethink your position. Even in a trench or foxhole, you really have to use the right tool for the job. I think the ratio of guns to gun owners is a little silly and quite offensive. It's all about "I have 48 guns!" rather than "I have a 'blunderbuss' and I can use it."
Go get a sports car, or a post-teen girlfriend, or a tattoo....You're not fooling anyone, and nobody is impressed that you can take someone out from eight miles because you have a nasty Barratt .50 or similar.

Realistically, you either need one or you don't.
To set the record straight here, I am a Briton who has lived in the USA for twenty years (yes, my papers are in order!!!!) and I have never found myself in a position where I needed even a pea-shooter.
If you are absolutely needy of a firearm, get a new life. Move somewhere less sinister.
Is your neighbourhood not safe? Tell your Senator/Mayor/Police Chief. Act for the good of the neighbourhood rather than hiding behind hardware. If your Senator/Mayor/police chief etc. won't listen it is because they are protecting a separate and likely more lucrative pressure group or lobbyist. In which case, all the guns in the world won't save you.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas
reply to post by Danbones

How is that first ATS thread link a reason for americans to have guns!!??

Americans: Its your country and you have the right to run it your way and keep your guns, but that doesn't mean the rest of us over the water can't help but wonder: why!? sometimes...

I have been wondering that for years, seems really silly to me.
But hey like you say, it's their country who are we to judge.

The ONLY people who dont want guns are sheep. You are food for the government and your word is meaningless in the world of a predator who will kill to survive and continue our species in the event of a global calamity. So when you and your hippie brethren have run out of granola and starved to death in your high rise condo, I'll be roasting wild pig in the forest living in a willow frame hut. Blessed journey to you my livestock friend,

Yeah that is just dumb dude, seriously dumb.
The only people that don't have guns are sheep.

That's just like saying only stupid loudmouth rednecks own guns, same differance.
edit on 15-12-2010 by Subjective1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I used to be vocal in my anti- guns views. I am still very much against it but honestly, no point argueing to our american brothers. The problem is not guns it's social.

America is not Europe, America is 'free for all' mentality, each on his own and criminality is just another means to many's needs. Let them defend themselves against their own, let them have their guns until they learn how to live together.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I love when nanny staters try to tell Americans how we should live. You let muslims set up shop and have their own laws. You allow known terrorists to roam freely. Most importantly, you still have a queen. Do you guys think it's 1312 and chase dragons around with catapults? If not, wake up. You guys are living in a state of denial. I know plenty of people that move here from the UK. They love it. It's awesome. We even have dental programs here. It's really nice. You should try it.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Actually, you didn't get into much of a debate.

First, none of your affair, so don't concern yourself.

Second, your personal ideas on what constitutes a right is really warped, which is why ancestors on my mother's side left your area some two-hundred-ninety years ago.

Third, you have no basis for comparison. Your country prohibits the personal possession of firearms.

Fourth, it's in our Constitution. You don't like it, discuss it among your fellow subjects.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
You guys still are not getting the point, this isnt about removing assault rifles and ak-47s. They want to take away everything, the very means to live off the land. You'll be reduced to the stone age while the elite run around in full body armor and automatic weapons to ensure you do as your told.

Anyone who lives in a city their entire life, has never used a gun or skinned an animal; chances are in the coming years you may have to learn these skills when the food stops flowing into your convenient grocery stores. What do you know about living besides walking through high park and throwing bird seeds at the robins?

Toughen up butter cup - the world is likely to get mean - real mean. and here you are preaching for the survivors to have their edge taken away. You are calling for an action of disabling the champions who are likely to be able to keep you safe in a world gone bad.

So when you sit in the empty malls of detroit, burning plastic garbage bags to keep warm in the cold of winter months; remember the time when you thought guns were a bad idea. Walk around in the woods with the grizzly bears outside your camp and tell your camp mates

"Guns are so stupid dont ya think guys, lolz"

Spare me.

-G

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NEWclearMind

I posted above about this.

Muslims, if living legally in the US, have just as much of a right own as many guns as they like. This does not make them a terrorist, this makes them a US Patriot, according to the NRA.
Don't bring Muslims into this unless you offer them absolute parity.
It's about the US.
Your law. It means that EVERYONE has the right to bear arms.

Muslims?
Pah. You didn't think it through!

edit on 15-12-2010 by Badgered1 because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Learn to live together? Where in Europe are you from if you don't mind my asking? I think I can dig up violent criminal statistics on pretty much every single country on the planet. Take Britain for example, no guns? Okay, knives will have to do.

I know a lot of people want to make the US out to be the wild west, unfortunately for their viewpoint it's not. I live in Memphis TN, one of the most violent cities in the US and yet i've never been a victim or for that matter seen a shooting. Do you know why? I don't hang out with criminals. Criminals tend to kill other criminals (gang violence) or prey upon the weak. Know you protect yourself from that sort of violence? I'll give you a hint, but i'm sure you know where i'm going with this. No amount of anti-gun, anti-knife, anti-broken glass or anti-pointy stick is going to change how criminals act.

Now, do I own a gun? I own three actually. A semi-automatic concealed carry, an older revolver passed down from my grandfather and a pump action shotgun. I go to the range on occasion to ensure that my skills stay sharp but I hope that I never ever have to use them for anything other than target practice.

I'll agree, you won't convince us how to do things differently. It's really none of your business, no offense intended. I know a lot of people won't agree with me on this but for example, how women are treated in Saudi Arabia, I don't agree with it, I wish our country didn't have dealings with theirs but i'll be damned if I try and make them do things my way. They have to want to change on their own. Of course I follow the isolationist policy that our country is supposed to follow. Damn shame about globalization.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   

First off, I think you and your countrymen need to clean up and sort out your country before you go telling anyone else how to run theirs. Just because you don't know anyone that owns a firearm or has never been disadvantaged by not owning one, doesn't mean they don't or haven't been. Do you think they would honestly tell you?

Secondly, I do not believe in taking a life except in defense of another. That being said, if guns were outlawed, would it really make that much of a difference? Yes, in some instances it would but there is no gaurantee. You might drive up the cost of obtaining automatic weapons on the "black market" but you would still be able to get them. Also, how would you control homemade devices?

The harder part is figuring out what drives the person to use the weapon. Were they mentally unstable, under the influence of drugs and or alcohol? Did they play one violent video game to many? Or were they just an evil bastard to begin with?

Let's face it, in the real world, man has been killing each other since the begining and until we learn to live with one another it will continue.

Thanks for the discusion. Seriously.

"I don't know what weapons WW3 will be fought with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones." A. Einstein

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

Read my post again. I have nothings against Muslims. I didn't call them terrorists. I said the uk allows Muslim law in their country. I also said they allow known terrorists. If you need help reading let me know.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

We have a right to protect ourselves. If we never put ourselves in harms way we would never need firearms for protection. There are people in this world who do not give and ounce of care for the life of others or respect ones privacy. So weapons are needed. As for semi automatic weapons they are not truly needed but what if you have bad aim? Better to spray then ask questions later if you are in a situation where there is a group of people involved. What if the Poop hits the fan and you are attacked by a renegade group of people wanting the food and gas that you have in your posession? I guess what im getting at is that weapons will always be needed for protection no matter what kind of weapon you have. Its always nice to have that piece of mind in your gun cabinet.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeusman1988
Well, it's sorta like this. If the population doesn't or isn't allowed to own any weapons, then how can they defeat an oppressive government when they go to far.

This is a joke right?

Americans have neither the courage to rise up against their government nor the know how.

So that puts to bed that theory.

Their guns are for show and for threatening purposes, not for protection. All I hear on the news is how someone got shot while being robbed or burglarized NOT how the robber or thief or burglar was shot dead by a person defending his or her home. Most victims just stand there crapping their pants not defending.

However, its the American citizens right to own a gun so that should be enough said. Their right. PERIOD.

edit on 15-12-2010 by c0ldPhr34k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown

I got into this debate recently but it seemed a little bit of topic so I thought I would take a risk and write a thread myself asking the above question “why do Americans need guns?”

Now to me I can understand why a farmer might own a few shotguns or a hunter might own a few hunting rifles but why does anyone need a semi-automatic, unless their objective is to kill. To me guns are inherently evil objects that have been designed to kill our fellow man and therefore are evil as is to use a gun to kill. Further to this there have been a number of high profile shootings in America were a gun man has committed multiple homicide or gang warfare has resulted in innocents being killed. Now with that in mind how can you possibly say that the right to bear arms is justified? Yes some people need guns to do their jobs such as game keepers, farmers and law enforcement but why does Joe the plumber really need one.

The argument is always that it’s for self defence, that way if someone pulls a gun on a knife on you, you can protect yourself. It’s a hard one to argue against, but surly if it were the case that gun’s were outlawed or heavily regulated it would lead to a overall reduction in the number of firearms owned and therefore the odds of someone pulling a gun on you would be greatly reduced therefore you wouldn’t have to own a fire arm and the odds would fall further. In any case you can never be sure it’s going to help your odds, if two gun men mug you or break into your house you’re already on the losing side. Now baring in mind that there are almost enough firearms America for every citizen the robbers are going to know you have a gun in your house, they are going to be prepared and have the element of surprise on their side.

Now am sorry to spit on your 2nd amendment right, but for me self defence is not a valid argument for defending the 2nd amendment. Also the ability to carry arms has been severely restricted by the Gun-Free School zones act of 1990 signed by Gorge H W Bush, which is ironic considering that 41% of republicans own a firearm compared to only 23% of democrats so kudos to Bush. This does mean though that as a law abiding citizen in a town or city you really can’t carry a gun knowing that you are not breaking a law. As such you would be better just not carrying one, so again if you get attacked by someone you shouldn’t have a gun to defend yourself in the first place because to be carrying said firearm you would be breaking the law.

The line that I love is this “we have places to keep people who can’t use their guns properly, they’re called prisons”. Very true, but you also have places called hospitals and mortuaries filled with the victims of the scum your keeping in prison, and thousands of homes full of grieving families. Would it not just be better to ban or regulate these guns out right that way no idiots going to prison and cheaper hospital bills and less tears.
Then we get to my favourite, the line that all gun loving conspiracy theorists loves. “ I need my guns to protect myself for when the government turn on its people and try to through us all in the FEMA camps”. If that is your reason for keeping a gun, then you shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun based on your sanity. This fantasy that one day the feds are going to come knocking at your door to put you on the FEMA bus, then you, in a spectacular move pull out your Glock and take them all out then spend the rest of your life like the incarnation of the movie Rambo: First Blood, is just a fantasy no more. It’s not going to happen and even if it does your guns won’t do you any good, you will either die or be put in the camps so again I don’t give that fantasy any credibility as a reason to keep a locker full of AR-15’s in bedroom.

So can someone please tell me why you need a gun? In the UK I know no one who owns a gun, and no one I know has ever been disadvantaged because of this why is it that the worlds “super power” is any different, Gun Laws are out of date, rip up the second amendment and join the 21st century .

Figures some dumb brit comes on here telling us to shred the second amendment. How about you go and worry about your country and we can worry about ours. Monkey man.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join