It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Develop ROBOT That Can "Learn" Human Emotion!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
LINK

The robots have been created through modelling the early attachment process that human and chimpanzee infants undergo with their caregivers when they develop a preference for a primary caregiver.

They are programmed to learn to adapt to the actions and mood of their human caregivers, and to become particularly attached to an individual who interacts with the robot in a way that is particularly suited to its personality profile and learning needs. The more they interact, and are given the appropriate feedback and level of engagement from the human caregiver, the stronger the bond developed and the amount learned.

The robots are capable of expressing anger, fear, sadness, happiness, excitement and pride and will demonstrate very visible distress if the caregiver fails to provide them comfort when confronted by a stressful situation that they cannot cope with or to interact with them when they need it.

Well, imagine this! Robots that can "learn" human emotions. According to the article, they are developing them to work with diabetic and sick kids?

I am not sure I like the concept of a robot being programmed to "feel" anything. They cannot feel, they have no emotions, it is all fake.

Yet we all have seen the Japanese robot girl who looks very very real.

What's next....not being able to tell if your blind date is real or robot?

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Important find.

.....We all need love and caring. It's a basic human need, and a guaranteed market.

Will TPTB convince us that caring robots are better than humans? More reliable? More available? Cheaper? ...They've already created a world where people don't have time for each other, parents can't make time for their children.

And what's next? Seniors' companions? ...The list goes on.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
If you hadn't heard, there is an event predicted for the not too distant future called "The Singularity". It will be the point when artificial intelligence so far exceeds current human intelligence that the results are almost un-predictable. Many people familiar with the singularity, myself included, believe that in 20 years or sooner, human intelligence and machine intelligence will be indiscernible.

en.wikipedia.org...

Google; singularity, Ray Kurzweil or Vernor Vinge for some basic information. While you seem somewhat scared by the implications, you should read up.

"Plug in the numbers for current computing speeds, the current doubling time, and an estimate for the raw processing power of the human brain, and the numbers match in: 2021. In truth, I don't think in those terms. I do not "project" when the Singularity will occur. I have a "target date". I would like the Singularity to occur in 2005, which I think I would have a reasonable chance of doing via AI if someone handed me a hundred million dollars a year. The Singularity Institute would like to finish up in 2008 or so." Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

"Within thirty years, we will have the technological means to create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after, the human era will be ended." Vernor Vinge 1993

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

I have myself often wondered if humans themselves are nothing more than extremely advanced robots who just do not realize it. Look how obsessed we are with recreating ourselves robotically.

top topics

join