Big Pharma Payoffs to Doctors Revealed

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This project has BOATLOADS of info on how doctors get paid by big pharma to push their products. It lists payments by state as well as how much from the big pharmas. Companies included in this are Eli Lilly, GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Merck, Johnson & Johnson, and Cephalon.

Considering how many medical mistakes are made and how many people die each year of medical mistakes and bad drugs .... I'm wondering about the connection between these payoffs for big pharma and the deaths by bad drugs!!

Project - Pro-Publica

Drug companies have long kept secret details of the payments they make to doctors for promoting their drugs. But seven companies have begun posting names and compensation on the Web, some as the result of legal settlements. ProPublica compiled these disclosures, totaling $282 million, into a single database that allows patients to search for their doctor. Receiving payments isn’t necessarily wrong, but it does raise ethical issues.

RELATED - Docs on Pharma payroll Have Blemished Records, Limited Credentials

ATS Thread - death by medical mistake - big numbers

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I assumed this was the issue when I tried to talk to my doctor about natural cures and lifestyle changes to cure my illness. The doctor wouldn't talk about the subject at all and just kept assuring me medicine was the only way to go. I didn't believe the doctor, I just never returned to that office ever again.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Crooked scientists and pharma, along with their FDA watchdogs all combined together is actually the true formula, in-order for it all to work smoothly, this triangle must be formed.

The science of virology is most certainly where your going to find the most (NOT TO MENTION) biggest crooks, because it's by far the easiest sector of science to Jerry-rig.

Any bride taking member of the FDA can't just flat-out take a bribe from pharma to push a drug approved & through in plain sight. (TOO OBVIOUS)
What the FDA crooks actually do is simply just form a relationship with the pharma company of their choice and use their influence within their own organization to get as many of the said companies drugs approved, for example- They may very well come to an agreement with the pharma company to get say... ten drugs approved for them, they then wait around until they hit that magic number, then usually, not long afterward, the FDA crook just uP & changes jobs, goes to work directly for that BiG Pharma Company. I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there. Don't forget ! It's not againts the law to change jobs in the United States of America !

The new job they end-up with at the pharma company is usually that of consultant, in other words, in most cases, they only work there on paper. In reallity they are usually on some beautiful white sanded beach island somewhere with their mistress knocking back ultra-strong fruity drinks from a hollowed-out pineapple !

Don't forget that it doesn't matter one single bit if the drug really works, or even kills people !
That is very, VERY simple to get around.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The project results don't surprise me at all. All this spring/summer I kept getting bad drug after bad drug thrown at me. They were horrid, and had horrid side effects. I think Ancobon should be BANNED. Anyways, combine the bad drugs and the arrogance of the doctors (who were all wrong) and I have no faith at all in our medical system. NONE.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And I bet this list doesn't mention the free week long trips to attend a one hour convention at a tropical resort..
Happens all the time...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I am shamelessly bumping this thread because of a discussion going on in another thread. It's been three years and a whole new crop of ATSers might find this information interesting as well ...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thanks for bumping this thread as I missed it when it first came out.

Very informative. I didn't realize there was actually a public database of this information!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Good stuff. Thanks FF. I've shared in on my FB wall so hopefully others can benefit

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The problem with this is that the type of people who usually focus on it and bring it for topic are almost always the same ones that are against socialized medicine!!!

My husband works for a pharmaceutical company. But we live in a country where there is a multi-payer, medical social security. Because the tax payer is paying for the medicine, they regulate more.
Pharm labs are not allowed to give gifts, trips, favors, money, or anything else to doctors. It is illegal. Not as much as a pen, or a post-it.

They are not allowed to give samples to doctors or hospitals.

They are not allowed to advertise publicly their medicines.

Because there is fixed rates on what the social security will pay, this forces the labs to keep the prices down.

When the people take the power away from the big corps, this crap can be limited.

new topics
top topics

join