It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protection Against DDOS Attacks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Hey,

To cut a long story short, I play a 'mod' called 'C-RPG' for PC game called 'Mount and Blade: Warband', recently, a complete idiot has been using DDOS attacks to prevent the mod running (as the inventory section is hosted on a webpage) because he had an argument with a player about 'teamkilling'.

I guess if PayPal etc can't protect themselves then there is no hope for a very small bunch of nerds playing an online game? It's just so crazy that one disgruntled tosser can destroy everyones fun.

Any ideas?

(Below are the site being attacked and the forum of the 'mod' if you're interested)

C-RPG.NET (the site being attacked)

'C-RPG' forum

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
dunno if this would work, but have you tried telling the mods/administrators of that website to only accept connections/requests coming from the IP addresses of users who have authenticated themselves in the game. meaning to disregard/ignore all other requests.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by subby

Edit for this question
Is it actually a DDOS i.e. from multiple people or just one idiot?

Find the persons IP
Trace him to his ISP
Report him to his ISP

edit on 15-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
looks like he is either using a dynamic IP or is spoofing it. At the moment the site is being hosted on the devs home pc, which also has a dynamic IP, meaning we have to get a new address every 8 hours!

It's hosted on very little bandwith apparantly, I'm a total novice about these things, but people have said that he could do it alone.

One of the problems is that he keeps re-joining with a new name and IP, but yes, his original IP has been logged.

Thanks for the replies

edit on 15-12-2010 by subby because: typo

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
these sites may be of interest to your game server admin:

BlockDos

Block DDoS on Linux

if its just one person then it isn't really a DDoS attack, unless the attacker has access to a botnet.

top topics

join