It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With assistance from streetlights, the early bird catches the female's favor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

With assistance from streetlights, the early bird catches the female's favor

www.washingtonpost.com

With a little assistance from streetlights, the early bird catches the female's favor

Light pollution may give certain male songbirds a reproductive edge, according to German scientists who have been studying small birds called blue tits for the past decade.

The scientists found that males living near roads illuminated by streetlights along the edges of a forest were more successful at mating with more than one female than those living in the heart of the forest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Male blue tit birds that live less than 50 feet from a streelight start singing 3 minutes earlier than the males in the nearby forest.

They are studying long-term model on the evolution of promiscuity, I find this very interesting apparently the blue tit are socially paired, but this study shows that the adult males were more likely to stray and to father offspring from other females, but the females who were paired also strayed to the 3 minute earlier calls of males.

I have often wondered if monogamy was natural. It would seem to ensure the survival of a species it would not be natural.

Genetic diversity would be the best chance for a species to survive.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It just simple nature.

Same thing with people in the city. They can spend all night running around under the city lights, finding various women of the promiscuous model. In a small town, everything quiets down at night and if you don't have a woman before midnight, then you're probably not going to find one till the next day.

At least that's my observation anyways

edit on 14-12-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

new topics

join