It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Ads on Buses Rattle Fort Worth

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

Originally posted by tristar
Given that God is represented as the supreme energy that has created everything and thus we of-course as materialistic as the human race has grown to be has at some pointed decided that God does not exist or anything beyond the scientific aspect of proof within a controlled scientific environment.

No, I think I got it. You believe that the idea of gods came first, then atheism. That makes no sense. There was a time before written language. There was a time before spoken language. There was a time before communication of any kind. There was a time before humans even existed. Atheism was the status quo until someone first made up the first god ever. God is not the norm, absence of such is. Someone had to fill that void that is atheism.

As you pointed,the time before written language or spoken and or any means of communication other than grunts or bodily expressions were that of a race who had no bearing of existence. It is only when human society developed into sustainable communities that some form of higher energy was introduced to keep society on a discipline level. Thus become the ordered society that provoked the cerebral-cortex to comprehend. As a result the birth Mathematics, Philosophy, Art, etc, all of which are mind stimulation triggers for the brain itself. We as humans only can comprehend the bi-product of such cerebral stimulation's and obvious as it is, and although you might choose otherwise, it is the mere mention of God that does prevent everyone single person or the majority of humans from conducting what society today calls "crimes against humanity"

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

God Signs

Money spent on billboards for a belief is wasted money, imo.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

As you pointed,the time before written language or spoken and or any means of communication other than grunts or bodily expressions were that of a race who had no bearing of existence. It is only when human society developed into sustainable communities that some form of higher energy was introduced to keep society on a discipline level. Thus become the ordered society that provoked the cerebral-cortex to comprehend. As a result the birth Mathematics, Philosophy, Art, etc, all of which are mind stimulation triggers for the brain itself. We as humans only can comprehend the bi-product of such cerebral stimulation's and obvious as it is, and although you might choose otherwise, it is the mere mention of God that does prevent everyone single person or the majority of humans from conducting what society today calls "crimes against humanity"

No.

This is a wonderfuly thing to think for people who really need their gods to exist but it is just not backed up by facts, history, or reality. People did not run around killing, raping, stealing, and just plain being mean to each other until someone made up god. In this day and age, there are still plenty of people that do not rape, murder, or steal for reasons that have nothing to do with someone once making up stories about gods. People that feel that making up religions is the only reason people are civilized today strike me as people who have evil in their hearts and are only kept from acting upon it out of fear. It is like the pedophile priest that stays his urgest do to his devotion to god, unfortunately his mind justifies it by convincing him everyone has those urges and if God stopped him from acting on it, then everyone needs God to stop them from raping children. Nice thing for religious folks to tell themselves but don't try to kid me, ok?

p.s. You tried really hard not to actually say it but your response acknowledges that what I said was correct. First there was Atheism, then someone made up a story about a god.
edit on 20-12-2010 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

I haven't tried to do anything, infact as an individual i live by how and if i am actually able to wake up every morning from what everyone refers to as sleep.

The people who actually know me on a real life basis know who and what i represent and by no means am i delusional regarding religion or what ever our modern society has imposed for its constant evolution. But when i come across individual who would outright delete the notion of a higher entity is in my opinion far from what the cosmos is imposing on us.

In short, is the human race the only self sustainable organism with the ability to expand and manifest its ideas into a structure that will ensure its expansion utilizing resources that were once non existent according to its intelligence.

No.

We are not alone.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I understand you feel you have a lot of wonderfully existentialist opinions on the matter of deities and their impact on human survival but that is completely beside the point. Atheism came first, then gods. It is that simple. If you really think your belief in a god is going to sustain you more than a lacking of said gods, I suggest you look the world outside sometime. It is full of creatures with no need for gods that survive just fine right along side us. You might think having a god in your life helped you become smart enough to build shelter and climate control. I would suggest there are pill bugs outside living in your dirt doing just fine without. It can be fun to ramble on about things in such vague terms in threads such as these but it all still boils down to where you stepped in. Atheism came first, then gods. One is not the denial of the other while the latter most certainly is. Good luck with your god. Let's see if I do ok without one.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

reply to post by tristar

I understand you feel you have a lot of wonderfully existentialist opinions on the matter of deities and their impact on human survival but that is completely beside the point. Atheism came first, then gods. It is that simple. If you really think your belief in a god is going to sustain you more than a lacking of said gods, I suggest you look the world outside sometime. It is full of creatures with no need for gods that survive just fine right along side us. You might think having a god in your life helped you become smart enough to build shelter and climate control. I would suggest there are pill bugs outside living in your dirt doing just fine without. It can be fun to ramble on about things in such vague terms in threads such as these but it all still boils down to where you stepped in. Atheism came first, then gods. One is not the denial of the other while the latter most certainly is. Good luck with your god. Let's see if I do ok without one.

Sinnthia this is what i am referring to, i adhere to not one ideology or notion based on what society has imposed. As a species we evolve and with that evolution there are many parameters that one must take into consideration. Humans if i am allowed to use that term, believe in various notions of existence.

The mere fact that one is able to alter a state a mind at will regardless of race/creed/color/religion renders any such comprehension as invalid, therefore what are the prime numbers or the foundation of thought or interpretation that one decides to base his very existence.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Sinnthia this is what i am referring to, i adhere to not one ideology or notion based on what society has imposed. As a species we evolve and with that evolution there are many parameters that one must take into consideration. Humans if i am allowed to use that term, believe in various notions of existence.

The mere fact that one is able to alter a state a mind at will regardless of race/creed/color/religion renders any such comprehension as invalid, therefore what are the prime numbers or the foundation of thought or interpretation that one decides to base his very existence.

Like I said...

It is fun to ramble on and on about existentialist nonsense in threads such as these but the original point remains that Atheism came first, then belief in gods. It seems with each post you get closer and closer to agreeing with me but using more and more vague terms in which to do it with. I thin it is pretty simple. What came first? Atheism. Why? It is just the lack of gods. That is it. That is all. I am not sure how you keep turning it into so much ancilliary nonsense but that is it. OK?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Like I said...

It is fun to ramble on and on about existentialist nonsense in threads such as these but the original point remains that Atheism came first, then belief in gods. It seems with each post you get closer and closer to agreeing with me but using more and more vague terms in which to do it with. I thin it is pretty simple. What came first? Atheism. Why? It is just the lack of gods. That is it. That is all. I am not sure how you keep turning it into so much ancilliary nonsense but that is it. OK?

It is interesting to see how quickly you can draw a conclusion about a person who's cosmological definition existence is fractionally defined by theory. Perhaps the notion of 999 is what or may i suggest you read up before you engage or make assumptions as to who and how and as to what my molecular stimulation is about.

I am not one who delivers what the social order has pre-defined, caution ahead.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone has posted this or not, because I just couldn't stomach reading through all of the posts. The transit authority in Fort Worth has decreed that there will be no more religious ads on the buses after January 1st. So there will be no controversy on the subject very soon, and for that, I am truly thankful!

Happy Holidays,
FibroKat

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I'm cool with the athiest billboards, but I dont' think an advertising war between competing beliefs is 'limiting rights' i'm pretty sure its the exact opposite.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

You stopped responding to me about 3 posts ago and none of this has anything to do with anything I have posted here in this thread or any other. Please stop replying to me if you are not reponding to me with it. If your posts are off topic, do not disguise them as replies when they are not related to anything at all. In fact, I am not sure you are discussing anything about anything anymore but I am positive you have stopped talking about the point you interjected on a while back.

Please stop now.

Have a good day.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I live in Fort Worth. It doesn't bother me one bit. I'm agnostic too, so maybe that's why.
Still, the Christian stuff doesn't bother me either. I know who I am and what I believe.
I'm sure the ads do rattle some people. So what? Free speech, baby.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

reply to post by tristar

You stopped responding to me about 3 posts ago and none of this has anything to do with anything I have posted here in this thread or any other. Please stop replying to me if you are not reponding to me with it. If your posts are off topic, do not disguise them as replies when they are not related to anything at all. In fact, I am not sure you are discussing anything about anything anymore but I am positive you have stopped talking about the point you interjected on a while back.

Please stop now.

Have a good day.

okay ill take the sinker,

So what exactly are you asking me as i have read posts that are anything but constructive regarding this thread.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I never asked you anything. You put forth the idea that Atheism was born out of some opposition to religion and I pointed out that was not true. Where it went from there I have no clue.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

I don't know if I should say "Amen, brother!" or what?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The latest news on this topic.

The message from Fort Worth, Texas: no more religious advertisements allowed, at least on its transit system.

The pro and anti-religious ad battle has been front and center this holiday season. Atheist groups and the Catholic League had a billboard brawl in New York late last month, and now the fight has reached Texas.

The Board of the Fort Worth Transportation Authority (The T) voted unanimously last week to formally adopt an advertising policy for all T property which includes a ban on faith-based ads.

Fort Worth transit agency bans faith-based

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join