It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Ads on Buses Rattle Fort Worth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Atheist Ads on Buses Rattle Fort Worth

www.nytimes.com

FORT WORTH — Stand on a corner in this city and you might get a case of theological whiplash.

A public bus rolls by with an atheist message on its side: “Millions of people are good without God.” Seconds later, a van follows bearing a riposte: “I still love you. — God,” with another line that says, “2.1 billion Christians are good with God.”

A clash of beliefs has rattled this city ever since atheists bought ad space on four city buses to reach out to nonbelievers who might feel isolated dur
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Well a religious ideological propaganda war going on in more places than Forth Worth. I have always wondered why Christians get so upset with other people expressing there views publicly. Why try to limit rights? Let people learn and decide what is good or works for them. Paying for the van with the "I still love you....God" is a bit much IMHO.

A sign has also been set up at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel in New York stating...“You know it’s a myth. This season, celebrate reason!

There are several atheists groups across the nation that have mounted ad campains attempting to bring atheists together..

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I think it's fantastic that atheists are finally celebrating their right to free speech after being demonized and stigmatised by the Church and their followers for so long. One thing I will say for the atheists is that I appreciate that they don't come knocking on your door at some ungodly hour on a Saturday morning trying to shove their beliefs down your throat. Power to them!

IRM

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Their anti-atheist responses are ridiculous - the "I still love you --- God" one in particular... surely whoever wrote that realises that a person signing their transport-side ad-space from God basically reduces their deity to Santa (i.e. a man in a suit) status?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Although my beliefs lean more towards the atheist side of things, I don't see the point in trying to persuade people there isn't a God. It's just as idealistic as religious preachers trying to shove their beliefs down other people's throats.

Purist Atheists are just another religion, driven by their solid, unmovable belief that there is no God and the last thing we need is another organised religion in this world.

At the end of the day, no-one knows for sure and it can't be proven either way, so why bother forcing your beliefs on others?

Personally, I would say there probably isn't a God, but I won't discount the possibility and for now, I'll decide my own morality and let only one religious philosophy, which is in one way or another in pretty much all religions guide my decisions, which is "Do unto others..."

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Anyone who wants to waste money on billboard space, I say fine, it puts money in someone's pocket. More business is good business.

I wonder how much some COBRA recruiting ads will cost? Hmm.
edit on 14/12/10 by MikeboydUS because: l

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Atheists like this are just as silly as believers...just a bunch of juvenile idealists trying to make them selves feel authoritative...

This is tantamount to prosyletizing.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Just hypocrits doing what they themseves are complaining about.......
They just have to help ruin Christmas for everyone else..................it's not their fault though, their parents sucked and they don't have any happy memories of Christmas.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Just hypocrits doing what they themseves are complaining about.......
They just have to help ruin Christmas for everyone else..................it's not their fault though, their parents sucked and they don't have any happy memories of Christmas.

Actually I have very happy memories of Christmas, sounds like maybe your parents sucked and you don't have any social skills.

Bus ads don't really matter anyways, if a person is going to be an atheist thats just the way its going to be, same with Christians. A picture on a bus is not going to change someones belief of their existence.
edit on 14-12-2010 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
LINK

The above link is to an atheist website in Ft Worth, that asks for donations for a "billboard" campaign. I wonder if these people are the ones doing the busses? Yes, it is.

Now why in the world would athiests organize and act just like a church?

I think there is something fishy about this.

Why would atheists feel the need to organize weekly and discuss their lack of religion?

Maybe because Terry wants to get rich off other believers in no beliefs, perhaps?

Sounds just like Organized Religion to me.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
In the name of free speech,

How about we also have

anti muslim
anti christian
anti semitism
anti democratic

...i mean since they have a right to openly advertise their Atheist choice, i guess we all can also advertise our choice ....No ?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
In the name of free speech,

How about we also have

anti muslim
anti christian
anti semitism
anti democratic

...i mean since they have a right to openly advertise their Atheist choice, i guess we all can also advertise our choice ....No ?

Err, other than anti democratic (to speak up against democracy is not illegal anyway, it's a political viewpoint), I think Atheism pretty much encompasses the other 3 all in one, by simply saying "There is no God". Although to single out any ONE of these religions is wrong however.

A christian has every right to say "I believe in Jesus and I believe Muslims and Jews to be wrong in their beliefs". Muslims and Jews have the exact same right. It is only wrong to say that you don't like other religions because of their beliefs.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Ever notice that some people are the most judgmental by actions and opinions but once they get called out on it, simply state "only god can judge you"

I'll have to look for these buses in Ft Worth. It's one of my favorite spots for dining/drinking etc. Any trip to center-city entertainment (Sundance Square) is part people-watching, part freak show. There's always a few "fundamentalist" religious people with their makeshift bully-pulpit set up, shouting at the crowd, yelling at people and calling them sinners. It's great fun. Kind of scary though is they involve their young children in these tirades.
Aren't we supposed to be teaching our children about love and respect, not hate and difference

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Legally, I think it's fine to do what these atheists are doing. And if they want to form a group and discuss their beliefs, that's also fine. Who cares?

It does become very similar to religion, though, IMO. But not all atheists hate religion, so they're not necessarily hypocritical. Some clearly like the idea of gathering together people of similar thought... They just disagree with the dogma of popular religions. Let them have their atheistic religion. Just don't lump all atheists into the religious types.

Atheism isn't a religion unless you make it one. Just as a belief in God is not, in itself, a religion.

I do think there are atheists out there who are afraid to 'come out of the closet', so to speak. And I think it's good that more of them see that there is support for people who aren't going along with the status quo.

Overall, I think it's a good thing for atheism to become more mainstream and more accepted by society. So, I can't really find anything wrong with these bus ads. It's called freedom of expression and it belongs to everyone.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Is the irony- the sheer, unmitigated hypocrisy, & projection in this, lost on anyone but me? These people are claiming that they don't want religion (unless it happens to be Judaism or Islam/ insert-cultural-faith-here. I note never having heard a protest about those...well, maybe in support) *imposed* on them. But what are they doing but trying to impose their own, *personal* beliefs on anyone who doesn't agree with them?

I am sick of this. All of this "coexist", "equality" & "tolerance"; all of this "politically correct" bull# REALLY means that they are tyrants who want to cram their ideology down everyone else's throat & elevate themselves to dominance. And they're the ones pointing the finger?
Someone asked if religious beliefs should be designated a mental illness...these people who just have to destroy other people's beliefs & traditions & demand acceptance & domination aren't exactly the poster children for mental health (much as they'd like to delude themselves they are). lol just sayin...

Put your tolerance/ coexistence & equality money where your mouth is, hypocrites. And mind your own bloody business. As the song says, you take what's good for you & I'll take my freedom. (One Way Street by Aerosmith)
I am THRILLED that John Lennon's puss-y (as in infection) fat a$$ is sizzling in hell. Now *there's* some imagining I can get into.
(Don't believe in hell? Ask any pagan).

ETA to Tater: lol @ "something fishy" (as in fish deals on cars). It's the damn communists, I tell ya- the cult of Imagine. John Lennon is their Jesus & Marx (or Maslow) is their God.
edit on 14-12-2010 by DogsDogsDogs because: see ETA. (I couldn't remember who posted what I wanted to reply to, specifically)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs
These people are claiming that they don't want religion

Do these ads say anything about religion?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Hahahahaha...................I guess the need to feel superior is so great that sarcasm is lost on you, however, feel free to wallow in your feelings of superiority and your obviously superior social skills.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I agree with Dogs on this

This group of people called Atheists (who share the same thoughts regarding a subject - religion) are collectively trying to prove their point against another group of people called Christians/Jews/Muslims/Believers (who share the same thoughts regarding a subject - religion).

This, in my eyes, makes these organized "non-believers" no different than the organized "believers"

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well, yes they do, BH. They specifically mention God- which, for atheists, generally is synonymous (or symbolic or whatever) with "religion". I can understand the indignation if there are Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons or whatever beating down a person's door or accosting them on the street, proselytizing or getting in their face, but the mere sight of a display traditionally associated with the season? (What if people- Christians, specifically) threw the same kind of fit about Halloween displays?
Seriously, these guys need a therapist. (So do the ones who feel the compulsion to evangelize, FWIW) If psyche's are so fragile that they need some kind of mass public validation to "feel better" (or specifically, "not isolated"), that's not good.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

I can always enjoy some delicious irony, lol. I figured everyone else could too.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join