It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media says government's reaction to WikiLeaks 'troubling'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Sign It... “I believe that any man without principles that he is ready and willing to die for at any given moment is already dead and is of no use or consequence whatsoever.” William Cooper R.I.P.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

The East German government was at the tail end of its regime when they no longer had the strength to resist a popular movement. Unfortunately, I see the current would-be fascist governments as being at the beginning of their regime. They are just getting started with the imposition of ever stricter controls.

I hope I am wrong. Will the internet remain open long enough to help keep the populace informed enough that it gains the will to stop the fascism in its tracks? I guess we will see. I agree this is a watershed moment that we can't let slip.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by S3ns1bl3

Tensions are just getting worse & worse and now with this pilot scheme starting my area which means it will soon be illegal for 2 or more people to be standing together, its only gonna get worse still!

I am having difficulty believing that people are willing to accept such rules. For the controllers to bring about such an intrusive and restrictive measure, can it possibly be that large numbers of people actually think it is a good thing?

This is astounding if true. I simply can't comprehend how people could lie down and accept such a thing without raising the roof in protest.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I noticed alot of people talk about how the MSM is up in arms about the government crack down, but not about other crackdowns. You may notice that some of the other attempts to crack down on information were launched by private companies and orgs. They fund the MSM via adverts. The government does not support a media outlet like corps do so the media can go after them for this sort of thing. Follow the cash and you'll see why the media does what it does.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
Isn't it odd how its always the whistle-blower, and never the criminal/offender/hypocrite/other, who pays the price for the revelations. Assange could have proved the Iraq/Afghanistan conspiracies, revealed the existence of shape shifying reptilian overlords, revealed the truth of Roswell, or the reality of stargates, yet he's the one languishing in jail at risk of brutally and accidentally slitting his own throat with a safety razor, or throwing himself from a high window, or whatever else the assassins book of dodgy deaths recommends for someone incarcerated in an English prison.

Yeah, that's because the biggest criminals, offenders, hypocrites and others alike are the ones hiding BEHIND the Law and authorities. That's why they are so hard to bring to justice.

Just look at our best example in Canada to date, Colonel Russell Williams who raped and killed womens in his area for like 20 years while enjoying the warm protection of the Canadian Armed Forces. Medaled, and considered a national hero and example to all Canadian troops by the Queen of England and every single Federal govt while he was committing his sick crimes!

...and yet the national media quickly got rid of his case in the news, while they now severely condemn Assange as some sort of criminal! These people are sick. They deserve the "insurance file" so badly!
edit on 15/12/10 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

"Information Terrorism"...I'll add that to a list populated by "Reverse Racism" and other such nonsensical phrases. How can information terrorize anybody? Noam Chomsky better watch out, because he has been committing information terrorism for far longer than Wikileaks.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
On the topic of media...Crooks and Liars asks.....

Are folks in the media afraid they might be implicated in Wikileaks cables?

crooksandliars.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

The East German government was at the tail end of its regime when they no longer had the strength to resist a popular movement. Unfortunately, I see the current would-be fascist governments as being at the beginning of their regime. They are just getting started with the imposition of ever stricter controls.

I hope I am wrong. Will the internet remain open long enough to help keep the populace informed enough that it gains the will to stop the fascism in its tracks? I guess we will see. I agree this is a watershed moment that we can't let slip.

I agree with this. This is just the start of something bad. We had been setting it up for so long.. executive orders open to interpretation is the thing thats been bugging me lately. Like Ive said a bazillion times.. I noticed during Reagan that these orders and manipulations could be used in a dangerous way by a subsequent president. I dont believe for one second that Bush and Obama had anything other than a common goal. WHy? Because the things that Bush used and put into effect after 9/11 paved the way for Obama to have more power over us than any other president in history. I feel Obama is paving the way for the next phase of murdering the US.
I too hope Im wrong, but I feel that this bad stuff is coming and coming fast.. in just the last 2 years its become even harder to recognize my country.. its coming too fast now.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, as reporters used to say.. 'the public has a right to know'
end of story* freedom*

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This situation reminds me of my distant Grandfather Mathew Lyons and President John Adams. Adams was put him in jail for violating the Alien and Sedition Acts. He was the first person to go to jail for this, and he was re-elected to Congress while in Jail! He was congressman of Vermont and then later of Kentucky. He was an Irishman who came to America as an indentured servant and then owned a media printing press. He disagreed
with Adams about going to war. That was the war of 1812 I believe. Anyways, this is an old issue where the government is hiding the facts from the people and punishing them for speaking up and not agreeing.
In otherwords power of being selfish and controling. No one really liked Adams that well, there is a documentary movie drama that can out a few years ago. Why are there these secrets on planet earth anyways?
I love this country and I feel the people who pay for the taxes have a right to know the truths.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valdestine

I'll answer your question if you answer mine first.

How is this any different to Daniel Ellsberg releasing the pentagon papers?

I'm sure you'd have labelled him a "criminal" too

Ellsberg's actions were most certainly criminal. Had the government not used criminal actions against him to obtain information, he would have gone to prison.

By saying it's alright to steal some government documents, we would be saying it's alright to steal all government documents. While the classification system maybe be used to hide wrongdoings, there are also other documents which are rightfully classified.

I just hope the government doesn't make the same mistakes while building a case against wikileaks.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siddharta
* * * According to Politics.hu Laszlo Kover said: "Given the leak of the documents was intentional it must be called information terrorism... It is necessary to devise a method to prevent similar cases in the future."

Guardian

If we would accept, that they come up with such things, than they easily could stop every free speach, calling it "information terrorism".

The real terrorists are those who would stifle freedom of the press, such as Mr. Kover. Either that or he is a true dullard.

Stifling freedom of the press and the free flow of information enables government terrorism, which we all know is rampant throughout the world. The suggestion by some in government, which is supported even by some on these boards, that Julian Assange should be executed, is itself an act of terrorism. Look up the legal definition of "terrorism" and you'll quickly see that this is true. The "government" would restrict your access and ability to share information and reserve those liberties for "itself".

The primary reason terrorism exists in today's world seems to be in reaction to the government terrorism that preceded it over the past half century or longer. Rather than address the core cause, the various governments attack the symptoms. Addressing the symptom but not the cause seems to be the preferred course of response in many other contexts as well.

Of course, nothing is done by the faceless entities we refer to as "governments". Everything is done by individuals acting alone or in concert with others who use their position within government as cover to avoid personal accountability. Policy is established by small numbers of individuals. The policies are given effect by other individuals. No positive change will ever occur until the individuals responsible for the current despicable state of affairs are held personally acountable for their decisions and actions. Granted, immunity has a proper role but is widely misused and abused. Those who use their positions of authority within government to commit illegal acts, crimes, and worse, or to cover for others' misdeeds, must be exposed and punished accordingly.

How to hold government actors personally accountable through the most effective legal means available is where attention should be focused. A necessary element to holding them accountable is exposing their misdeeds through a free press and a free internet which, as we now see, they wish to restrict in order to provide cover for themselves and continue their current modus operandi.

They can held accountable only if it is known what, how, to whom, and where they are doing things. If they know they are being watched and that they will pay for their misdeeds, then they will either be deterred from or pay for plotting, directing, and doing evil.
edit on 12/15/2010 by dubiousone because: Spelling and clarify.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Prominent Americans Oppose Prosecution and Extradition of Assange

www.antiwar.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cablespider

GREAT news! Thank you!

From your link:

In opposition to efforts by the U.S. Attorney General Holder to extradite Julian Assange, Editor in Chief of WikiLeaks, prominent authors, academics, lawyers, whistleblower activists concerned with eroding civil liberties, government accountability, electronic freedom, opposition to war, and protection of whistleblowers have signed on to a strongly worded statement (below) condemning ‘U.S efforts to fraudulently criminalize the legitimate journalism of Julian Assange…”.

“This statement is the first step in an ongoing campaign to support Julian Assange, WikiLeaks and to re-assert the concept that the U.S. government is accountable to its citizens,” said Linda Schade of WikiLeaksisDemocracy.org. “We will not accept the manipulation of our legal system to criminalize a journalist; a free and independent press is non-negotiable.” The project is planning an aggressive campaign to support Assange and WikiLeaks and has hosted the statement online.

Statement online at WikiLeaksIsDemocracy.org

We, the undersigned, stand in defense of Julian Assange, WikiLeaks and their actions to safeguard and advance democracy, transparency and government accountability, as protected under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Wikileaks performs an invaluable service to the broad U.S. and global public with a commitment to the protection of human rights and the rule of law. Government representatives have issued serious and unjustified threats against Mr. Assange and his non-profit media organization which serve only to maintain a cloak of secrecy around high crimes and violations of international law, including torture, tampering with democratically elected governments, illegal bombings and wars, surveillance, mass slaughter of innocent civilians and more.

....more

Love it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join