It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media says government's reaction to WikiLeaks 'troubling'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A global awakening? This has gone well beyond the catalyst known as, WL. If people everywhere don't shed some light, a new 'dark age' could fall upon us. Talking about certain things or sharing information could eventually become a crime. Here in the US, anti-American politicians are already dreaming up ways to make that happen.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Stealing and distributing classified information is illegal. Aiding those who have committed crimes is also illegal (ie. distributing information for them), it's called accessory. However, I believe our government knows accessory is far too weak of a charge for these guys. Also, since wikileaks does not operating in the US we don't have laws which cover this matter. On the other hand, labeling them as enemies of the state is far too extreme.

We all know what wikileaks is doing is a crime. Some of you might not want to admit it, but they are criminals. If wikileaks has committed no crimes, then why are some within the organization leaving wikileaks to start similar sites with slightly different operation procedures?

Wikileaks will fall. You all will cry foul play.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
Stealing and distributing classified information is illegal. Aiding those who have committed crimes is also illegal (ie. distributing information for them), it's called accessory. However, I believe our government knows accessory is far too weak of a charge for these guys. Also, since wikileaks does not operating in the US we don't have laws which cover this matter. On the other hand, labeling them as enemies of the state is far too extreme.

We all know what wikileaks is doing is a crime. Some of you might not want to admit it, but they are criminals. If wikileaks has committed no crimes, then why are some within the organization leaving wikileaks to start similar sites with slightly different operation procedures?

Wikileaks will fall. You all will cry foul play.

Or those of us who actually know what we're talking about and arent blithering buffoons howling pitifully into the wind know what freedom of the press means

Hundreds of people here have quoted and posted what wikileaks has posted, is every single one of them a criminal also? are all the newspapers that reported it also criminals?

How about you actually learn the relevant laws before you go posting about what you think is and isnt criminal.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The key problem here is that we have an organization other than "TPTB" deciding what information you the people should have. I know this is exciting some of you. However, how is this any different than Manning giving information to the insurgency because he thought that was the right thing to do (or in his case, because it was UBB3R C001)?

However you choose to look at the situation, there is still somebody deciding what information you get to know. In that aspect wikileaks can be seen as a great organization or as a loose cannon.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Valdestine

Many people here have posted what they think is going on. In many cases, what is posted is part of the truth or just altogether incorrect. However, I have yet to see many people quoting or posting stolen government documents which verify what is actually going on (and I have been reading here for quite some time).

As for the news media covering the topic. That's a questionable area. Like many cases, I don't believe the government is going to go after everyone reproducing the original information. They will attempt to take down the source.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Styki because: typos

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
" Information Terrorism" ? LMAO wow Life has become a bad movie officially. The ludicrous levels of insanity world leaders have reached is amazing. WTF is wrong with the world, have we all gone insane? I dont know who is more mad anymore, the politicians who peddle this crap or the people that allow it?

" Information Terrorism" HUNH? OXYMORON? REALLY? OMG did I just hear that right? IDK it sounded like Bullshyt when I said it out loud to myself. WOW its gotten that bad? So let me get this straight, someone breaks the law and can claim that any form of evidence that they themselves tried to hide is not only inadmissible but also a crime in itself?

WTF you have got to be kidding me. Please tell me Im dead and Im in hell, where nothing makes sense. Im going to drink gasoline and see what happens. Peace

Originally posted by Siddharta
The problem this time is, that many politicians try to use this, to get rid of a free press.
Here is one of those new word constructions:

The speaker of the Hungarian parliament has called for controls on online news reporting to stop "information terrorism". According to Politics.hu Laszlo Kover said: "Given the leak of the documents was intentional it must be called information terrorism... It is necessary to devise a method to prevent similar cases in the future."

Guardian

If we would accept, that they come up with such things, than they easily could stop every free speach, calling it "information terrorism".

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Signed..cmon ppl, this is about freedom, if the US is pissed off then it must be good for all.
second line

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Cheers for the link FIS.....
My entire family signed it.

Long live FOS!!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Your arguement is about as legitimate as your avatar. I hope you didn't record any poses to create it, like your poses are recorded here on this forum...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by nik1halo
I really want to sign this, but paranoia is creeping in and I'm wondering if I really want to give out the information that they are asking for.

I signed my real name, phone number and used my official email, I would have gladly given my address too. I stand for what I believe.

nothing to add to this ! i signed it too

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
The key problem here is that we have an organization other than "TPTB" deciding what information you the people should have. I know this is exciting some of you. However, how is this any different than Manning giving information to the insurgency because he thought that was the right thing to do (or in his case, because it was UBB3R C001)?

However you choose to look at the situation, there is still somebody deciding what information you get to know. In that aspect wikileaks can be seen as a great organization or as a loose cannon.

I'll answer your question if you answer mine first.

How is this any different to Daniel Ellsberg releasing the pentagon papers?

I'm sure you'd have labelled him a "criminal" too

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
I really want to sign this, but paranoia is creeping in and I'm wondering if I really want to give out the information that they are asking for.

This attitude makes me so mad and the number of stars it's got even madder. I guess no one can count on you when TSHTF.

First they came for...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery
reply to post by Bun-G

Wikileaks petition
623,892 have signed - over 300,000 in 24 hours! Let's reach 1,000,000

648k and counting.

Hey freedom you should start a thread entirely about asking ATSers to sign the petition. I don't do facebook and twitter so without your post I would have missed the petition entirely. I bet I am far from being alone in this.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

seconded

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

The speaker of the Hungarian parliament has called for controls on online news reporting to stop "information terrorism"

I wonder what type of dirty linen and illegal activity the speaker of the Hungarian parliament wants to HIDE???

I think this is the attitude to take towards those against Wikileaks.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO HIDE?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
reply to post by Siddharta

Do you laugh or cry? Information terrorism. What a joke. I am amazed that someone had the audacity to associate information with terrorism.

That wording makes it crystal clear where our governments stand. Its so pathetic its no joke anymore.

Both somehow. Somebody compared all this to the fall of the Berlin wall and I said, this is bigger.
We now know, that the government of East Germany was in big trouble, when the East Germans started to protest every Monday and the movement became bigger and bigger. Should they send the military? Should they call the Russians? Would they shoot on their own people again?
No, even they could not do this anymore.

Now many politicians are afraid worldwide. Those, who call for the most drastic reactions are probably those, who have to hide the most. And now they are discussing, if they should "send the army" or "call the Russians".
I would like to think, they never would "shoot on their own people", but since they use the word "terrorism" as a mean for everything, times have changed.

Right now, they are showing a lot of reviews of the year on tv. (I haven't seen any, that mentioned Wikileaks at all.) Yesterday they talked about the demonstrations in Stuttgart. Since the police had reacted very aggressively, a police officer was asked, if they had not realized, that many protestors were old people, women and children. He answered: Yes, we considered this, but we gave them enough time to walk away.
So I wonder, what a guy like him will do, if he is asked to shoot. - No, I don't wonder...

"Information terrorism". Sounds as if somebody wants to burn some books again. And it must be very frustrating, that written words are difficult to burn, when they are speeding through the cyber world.

Right now the cables don't have such a big impact and they wouldn't change the world that much. But to see the reactions of politicians and companies - and meanwhile the judicial authorities - that is, what makes the alarm bells ring. That made Wikileaks jump into the main news. More and more people get aware that there is something wrong.

Let's hope, they don't simply switch to another chanel to watch American Idol instead...
edit on 15-12-2010 by Siddharta because: typo

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Signed !...........Governments should be paraniod if the thread regarding Wi.le. wallpaper is anythhing to go by..........

I'd start a thread on a what if question, but I think it should be done by a US citizen..............."What if you found out that........ e.g JFK was assassinated by nefarious organisations, future presidents and friends of said still in positions of power today"? (WWII funding the Axis, Saving their investment(German Scientists War Criminals) Assassination attempt on Reagan, Twin Towers
)
WHAT WOULD YOU DO, THE PEOPLE?

edit on 15-12-2010 by DreamerOracle because: editing

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I like how they put "likely" between "are" and "illegal" as in "we don't know at all if it is really or not... BUT its "likely" not... Word plays... always word plays...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin
This is the biggest load of bull I've ever heard. There have been so many whistleblowers that have been silenced by the media and NOW the media suddenly cares about journalistic integrity and freedom of the press?

Well going by what is happening in the UK just now its obvious we are about to under take some serious changes, im pretty sure we are not far off from the "Final" war, the one against the corporations in the people as it now appears the UK govt are not even pretending this is a free country anymore!

Tensions are just getting worse & worse and now with this pilot scheme starting my area which means it will soon be illegal for 2 or more people to be standing together, its only gonna get worse still! Also if the cops start with the water cannons, during our worst winter in RECORDED HISTORY (which I believe is WHY they want to use them), the resluting deaths will without a doubt kick everything into full swing! (combo of kettling & water cannons in freezing tempretures will definetly result in deaths!)

We WILL win this war, its not debatable, Its not gonna be a big hippy love fest and its gonna get very ugly, very fast but we WILL WIN. Its possible the media are just picking sides early.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

Hey spookfish i was going to but all the threads i saw were 404'd in the search for wikileaks and petition so i thought i would leave it but user christina-66 has one at Freedom of Exprssion Petition

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join