It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media says government's reaction to WikiLeaks 'troubling'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Media says government's reaction to WikiLeaks 'troubling'

www.smh.com.au< br />

The editors and directors say any attempt to shut down WikiLeaks, prosecute those who publish official leaks, or pressure companies to cease working with the whistle-blower website "is a serious threat to democracy which relies on a free and fearless press".

Ms Gillard has declared the actions of WikiLeaks and Mr Assange "illegal".

Attorney-General Robert McClelland has said the initial leaking of classified documents and their subsequent distribution by WikiLeaks are likely to be illegal.

But the media's open letter notes that so far the government "has been able to point to no
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.abovetopsecret.com

www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The editors and directors state that WikiLeaks is simply doing what the media has always done - expose official secrets that governments would prefer to keep in the dark.

Almost 600,000 people have signed a separate online petition in support of WikiLeaks ahead of a second appearance in court in London by Mr Assange.

The petition on campaigning website Avaaz calls on the US and other nations to "stop the crackdown on WikiLeaks and its partners immediately" and to respect "the laws of freedom of expression and freedom of the press".

www.smh.com.au< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

FiS - Do you have a link to this petition as i'd like to sign it too! I cant look on the web to much as am at work.

2nd line

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This is the biggest load of bull I've ever heard. There have been so many whistleblowers that have been silenced by the media and NOW the media suddenly cares about journalistic integrity and freedom of the press? Give me a break. What about the whistleblowers Steve Wilson and Jane Ayre and their story about Monsanto? Sibel Edmonds, anyone? I mean, seriously!!! Wikileaks has been here for a long time and it's only now getting much deserved attention due to, in my opinion, the U.S. government WANTING them to get exposure. This could be a ploy by the mainstream media to get people to think that they care about what's really important in the world today but they don't.

Total BS!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Isn't it odd how its always the whistle-blower, and never the criminal/offender/hypocrite/other, who pays the price for the revelations. Assange could have proved the Iraq/Afghanistan conspiracies, revealed the existence of shape shifying reptilian overlords, revealed the truth of Roswell, or the reality of stargates, yet he's the one languishing in jail at risk of brutally and accidentally slitting his own throat with a safety razor, or throwing himself from a high window, or whatever else the assassins book of dodgy deaths recommends for someone incarcerated in an English prison.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

Wikileaks petition
623,892 have signed - over 300,000 in 24 hours! Let's reach 1,000,000

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The problem this time is, that many politicians try to use this, to get rid of a free press.
Here is one of those new word constructions:

The speaker of the Hungarian parliament has called for controls on online news reporting to stop "information terrorism". According to Politics.hu Laszlo Kover said: "Given the leak of the documents was intentional it must be called information terrorism... It is necessary to devise a method to prevent similar cases in the future."

Guardian

If we would accept, that they come up with such things, than they easily could stop every free speach, calling it "information terrorism".

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery
reply to post by Bun-G

Wikileaks petition
623,892 have signed - over 300,000 in 24 hours! Let's reach 1,000,000

Flipping Heck!!! ... Signed it and saw my name scroll down and vanish in 2 seconds flat, with the speed that people are signing it!

Superb!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Thanks Freedom Is Slavery

Petition signed! - Sorry for hijacking your thread for it

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

All good the more that sign the better

reply to post by Dagar

Same with me the speed it's getting signed is pretty quick

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Hey, I just signed it too. The list is filling up fast. Many people from all over the world are signing in.

I'm glad I did my part to protect our right to free press.

-E2

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I really want to sign this, but paranoia is creeping in and I'm wondering if I really want to give out the information that they are asking for.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

The speaker of the Hungarian parliament has called for controls on online news reporting to stop "information terrorism"

I guess it's true what they say about one man's terrorist being another man's freedom fighter... in this case freedom of information! When did that go by the wayside?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
England booted all the people that used to live on Diego Garcia for hundreds of years from their homes on that island.

England was in a pickle legally for what it did.

The leaked Wikileaks State Department Cable's shows our State Department told England to declare the waters around Diego Garcia a "National Marine Park" so they have a legal claim to keep the island.

This is what the United States just did. Guam is one of the 16 countries on the UN Decolonization List still waiting to be set free. America didn't want to lose Guam so we declared the Marianas Trench a "National Marine Park"...even though we don't legally own anything in that part of the world.

It just gave us a little legal ground to not lose Guam. We told England to do the same with Diego Garcia.

Of course the government is mad as heck that got out.......

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Wow, pot meet kettle. The media has been manipulating the news forever. It seems since they aren't the ones doing it this time, they are complaining.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
I really want to sign this, but paranoia is creeping in and I'm wondering if I really want to give out the information that they are asking for.

I signed my real name, phone number and used my official email, I would have gladly given my address too. I stand for what I believe.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

You'll be easy to find when the round-ups and/or reprisals start then. Morally wrong, but I agree you should have the right of free speech.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

Do you laugh or cry? Information terrorism. What a joke. I am amazed that someone had the audacity to associate information with terrorism.

That wording makes it crystal clear where our governments stand. Its so pathetic its no joke anymore.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
reply to post by Unity_99

You'll be easy to find when the round-ups and/or reprisals start then. Morally wrong, but I agree you should have the right of free speech.

Agreed, and in this case, there should be the option for anonymity for us tin foil hatters. The last thing I want is the man looking over my shoulder as a potential dissident.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
the governments scared of whats coming next...and they should be

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join