It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ontario Wake Up: GSP KO's MMA BS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The better judgement of the governing class in Ontario, Canada, has been that our society should not allow Mixed Martial Arts bouts to be staged commerically in the province. This has been a long standing and non-partizan issue. Nobody on high is in favor of this sport.

However, virtually everyone on high is in favor of deficit reduction. That is why we are going to get MMA in Ontario.

www.thestar.com...

Prior to that Premier Dalton McGuinty had always dismissed the idea of allowing the cage matches that characterize MMA, saying it just wasn’t a priority for Ontario families.

The economic potential of MMA events apparently isn’t lost on the government, which is running a deficit of almost $20 billion.

We are told that the sport is safe and well run. It is neither, but the same could be said for boxing, so what's the diff? This post is intended to cut through the BS surrounding MMA.

During the recent Mixed Martial Arts event (#124) in which Georges St. Pierre, Canada's outstanding practitioner of that punishing sport, outpointed Josh Koscheck to retain his welterweight title, Koscheck sustained a broken orbital bone in his face, in the first round.

sports.yahoo.com...

"Jab" St. Pierre used a stiff left throughout the first round to bust up Koscheck. With just five minutes gone by in the fight, Koscheck's right eye was almost completely shut. . . .Late in the fight, Koscheck was experiencing considerable pain. Between rounds, Koscheck was wincing and jerking his head away anytime his cornermen tried put an ice bag on the eye.

The orbital bones in the skull are what hold the eyeballs in place. If you didn't have orbital bones, your eyes would be drooping down onto your cheeks. In a condition like that, somebody like Georges St. Pierre would be able to crush your eyes within seconds and you would be blind for the rest of your mixed martial arts career and longer.

Even if your eyes were not drooping out of your skull, having a broken orbital bone in your skull, would induce most licensed physicians to to follow a well established protocol for evaluating and treating the injury. This involves going to the hospital for CT (Computed Tomography) scans. There is serious risk of damage to the eye as a collateral result of a broken orbital bone. There are several of these bones that can have different effects on the eyeball, including the possiblility of lacerating it.

emedicine.medscape.com...

Any doctor who did not follow these procedures and instead recommended "Round 2", should lose his license to practice medicine.

sports.yahoo.com...

He cannot fly home to San Jose, Calif., because an air pocket formed behind the broken orbital bone, making air travel dangerous. UFC officials arranged for Koscheck and Cook to drive Sunday afternoon from Montreal to Boston, where the 33-year-old fighter is expected to undergo surgery Monday or Tuesday.

The issue is that with a broken orbital bone there is a chance that further displacement of the bone, caused by another punch, could cause increased stress on the eye affected, perhaps even to the point of crushing or puncturing the eyeball.

Mixed Martial Arts proponents say that the sport is safe and that when fighters get in trouble, they "tap out" and avoid serious injury. When a fighter is too courageous/dumb to "tap out" or "throw in the towel", his trainer or the referee or attending physicians should stop the fight.

This is the theory, but not always the practice.

Here is a video showing Royce Gracie, ignoring the "taps" of Jason Delucia before breaking his arm. Notice what Delucia is doing with his left arm when he is still standing, because he knows that Gracie has his arm in a lock. He's tapping out, by tapping Gracie's butt.

Gracie is very much aware that Delucia is tapping out, but breaks his arm anyway, after Delucia has tapped out. It's possible that the ref couldn't see it because of his viewing angle, but the camera caught it.

The St. Pierre/Koscheck fight wasn't stopped either. Should it have been? I think so. The statistics on strikes prove it. Koschek, with his eye in serious jeopardy, couldn't defend himself.

sports.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AuOnNIp8m4Wu4F3KJod9ztE9Eo14?urn=mma-294725

With his vision clearly diminished, St. Pierre used his face as target practice. In rounds four and five, St. Pierre landed pretty much any left jab or hook he attempted. GSP outlanded Koscheck 21-1 in the fourth and by the end of the fight, the punch stats bordered on unbelievable for a fight that went the distance.

Koscheck got outlanded 136-30, and FightMetric counted significant strikes as 110 to 16 for St. Pierre. Compustrike said it was GSP 143-30 overall.

Even the MMA commentator for Yahoo Sports said the stats bordered on unbelieveable in a match that went the distance.

Why?

Because a fighter in Koscheck's condition is not normally allowed to go the distance.

This fight is a major "black eye" for mixed martial arts and shows that people overseeing these bouts can't do their jobs to protect fighters from serious injury.

Here the official MMA line on this sort of thing from a Toronto Star article that is worth reading in full:

www.thestar.com...

Ontario had previously barred professional MMA as “prizefighting,” with some officials taking the view that it was inherently dangerous.

But the UFC takes pains to argue that the sport is safe. The athletes don’t fight bare knuckle like in MMA’s underground beginnings. There are strict rules on everything from knockouts to tapouts.

And no one has been killed or seriously injured in the UFC’s history. Not even cheerleading can say that, White declared in Toronto last week.

We are going to have MMA in Ontario, but the sport is going to be plagued with the sort of problems that you have in boxing. In Montreal, the St. Pierre/Koscheck fight should have been stopped early but wasn't, most likely for "showbiz" reasons.

I think it was impossible for them to stop the fight after the first round because of the state (frenzied bloodlust) of the crowd.

Here's the real story of that fight.

Koscheck has his orbital bone broken in the first round and St. Pierre bludgeons a helpless man and a helpless eyeball, for the next four rounds. Koscheck, the real "hero" (sacrificial victim) of the event, takes a brutal pounding for the entertainment of a group of sports fans and for the sake of a very lucrative sports business.

His victory? Not losing his eye in the process.

Our loss? The continued desensitization and brutalization of a population. What's next? Sharia law with stonings?

In a recent boxing match Manny Pacquiao did similar damage to Antonio Margarito, but with the fight clearly won, Pacquiao, eased off in the 12th (?!?) round and stopped punishing his opponent.

sports.yahoo.com...

In total, Pacquiao outlanded Margarito 474-229 at a connect rate of 44 percent. The Mexican probably shouldn't have come out for the final round, but he refused to quit. Pacquiao showed a little compassion admitting that played it safe in the final round and felt bad looking at Margarito's bloodied face.

These are brutal sports with no place in a civilized world. Unfortunately we don't live in such a place, not even in Ontario, where we have spent ourselves into becoming "bloodsport whores".

Ontarians, every one of you, should know that your decisions on government spending, your spendthrift ways have paved the way for the MMA.

edit on 14-12-2010 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Way to show your complete ignorance of the sport.

You know when i was younger i read the bible...completely...I thought it fair that if were going to actively demonstrate against Religion I should know something about it right?

What you have done is collected a few sources of information and a video, congratulations on tarnishing the ENTIRE sport with the actions of one Gracie, just shows how desperate you are.

Just for the record, the broken orbital that Koscheck received was not fully diagnosed until AFTER the bout and all the doctors used by the UFC are fully trained professionals who comply with the governing body of the corresponding territory.

But that said, I have had this debate before and It's foolish for me to attempt to convince you from your opinion. GSP is a great role model for Canadian kids, he came from nothing, he's eloquent and well spoken and sets a great example for others to follow...in whatever career they take.

And your comment about Kos not being able to defend himself was laughable! you don't even know a thing about MMA and if you did you would have seen that Koscheck was still winging his huge overhand right every chance he got, an over hand right happens to be Koschecks primary weapon.

Please, go away, research a bit and explore this from a mindset which is a bit more open.

edit on 14-12-2010 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2010 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
You know, people argue that pro wrestling is safe as well when people have been seriously injured or even outright killed in the ring.

There are always risks that athletes take. I simply have no interest in MMA or wrestling at this point.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
you can get you throat slit at hockey, your neck broken at football, you face smashed by a fast ball at baseball or kill in a car crash while racing... Hell look at youtube a kid gets his face slammed by a Wii remote cuz he slip out of his friends hand... To cut to the chase sports are sports... They all involves potentially lethal injuries its a part of the game. And Koscheck's is one of the biggest A-Hole I've ever seen in my life this ass whoop was likely the best thing to have happen to him in awhile... It'll cool him down a bit...

I do MMA and full contact martials art often and I've never gotten hurt real bad not saying that its not going to happen some day, but my point is that if I stop doing all the things that can "potentially" hurt me I might as well just stay in my bedroom for the rest of my days... every time I get in a fight I know the risk and I voluntary accept them and if I get hurt no one's to blame but me...

PS: Boxing have been around forever and its been proven a boxing gloves induce more inter-cranial trauma than a MMA one..You'll never stop people from hitting themselves in the teeth we like it

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Koscheck should of slipped the jab and leg kicked. problem solved.lol.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone who responded so far. I knew I would encounter strong opinions on this subject. So much the better. I want to respond to Crutchley29's post in detail, but before I do I just want to say that I am not against martial arts or mixed martial arts. In martial arts as in canine breeding, it's often the mutts that are the best and I think mixed martial arts is the best of the martial arts, at least in terms of effectiveness in defeating opponents.

I was a fan, back in the days of Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock and others, but I burned out on the sport quickly. I think it is a brutal, desensitizing sport. I don't think it should be a commercial product. Our society is brutal enough without it. Enthusiasts should practice it in clubs and that's that.

Originally posted by Crutchley29
Way to show your complete ignorance of the sport.

Right.

You know when i was younger i read the bible...completely...I thought it fair that if were going to actively demonstrate against Religion I should know something about it right?

Yes.

What you have done is collected a few sources of information and a video, congratulations on tarnishing the ENTIRE sport with the actions of one Gracie, just shows how desperate you are.

I think I make a legitimate case with what I posted.

Just for the record, the broken orbital that Koscheck received was not fully diagnosed until AFTER the bout and all the doctors used by the UFC are fully trained professionals who comply with the governing body of the corresponding territory.

That's one of the key problems with this sort of sport. The doctors can't make informed decisions because they are under time and other pressures.

But that said, I have had this debate before and It's foolish for me to attempt to convince you from your opinion. GSP is a great role model for Canadian kids, he came from nothing, he's eloquent and well spoken and sets a great example for others to follow...in whatever career they take.

This is where I strongly disagree. Canadian kids don't see the arduous training and self discipline of someone like GSP. All they see is the brutal conduct in the ring. It's bad enough when they start imitating this kind of thing in the playground, as they have done with various sorts of body slams from pro wrestling, but it's worse when they acquire the habit of looking at life from the viewpoint of a pro fighter, seeing everything in black and white, instead of shades of grey. Society can't function when people begin to look at conflict that way.

We don't need MMA as a prominent feature of the sports scene in our society.

And your comment about Kos not being able to defend himself was laughable! you don't even know a thing about MMA and if you did you would have seen that Koscheck was still winging his huge overhand right every chance he got, an over hand right happens to be Koschecks primary weapon.

Look at the stats.

Please, go away, research a bit and explore this from a mindset which is a bit more open.

I'll be keeping an eye on the situation.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

I agree with virtually everything you are saying. But there is a difference between injury as a result of accident and deliberately inflicted injury. Yes, there will always be people who enjoy taking these risks and developing these skills. I'm not against that. I'm against making a giant spectacle of it, as if it were as acceptable a way of doing sport as other sports which evolved from children's games.

I think it's bad for our culture in this province. We've already got problems given to us by "gangsta" culture. We don't need MMA in the schoolyard or the nightclubs. In the military, yes. In the police force, I doubt it. Ju Jitsu will be fine there. In private clubs? Fine. No problem. The real afficionados, as opposed to the ghouls, can see it there.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I have to give Georges St.Pierre his props. I just heard him on the Fan590 here in Toronto in an interview saying that his fight against Koscheck should have been stopped, that Koscheck's broken orbital bone was dangerous and that he could have lost his eye. No BS from GSP.

You can hear the interview at this link.

www.fan590.com...
edit on 15-12-2010 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join