It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US next generation ICBM's put off till 2020...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
According to AWST the AF is looking aat upgrading the Minuteman III ICBM to the new Minuteman Elite variant. With the MX Peacekeeper being retired due to treaty obligations, the modifications include GPS guidence, more range, cheaper operting and maintence costs etc. Not all of the missiles would be upgraded, just a small percentage of them. These mods would keep them in service till 2020 when replacements are fielded.

With GPS guidence that should improve the accuracy of the missiles quite a bit. The increased range is also an intererting development. Because China and Russia are both in range of existing ICBM's in the inventory , I wonder who else they are thinking may be a threat???

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Its a shame they are retiring the Peacekeeper it was a great nuke
but what type of replacements will they have in 2020. also I know who they are planning to target next the aliens

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
As for other threats maybe there hoping to shoot at things in space (UFOs and asteroids). But I don't like those treaties very much. I mean MAD is the only thing preventing WWIII. I mean the Peacekeeper really did keep the peace. At least we'll be getting a new toy.

E_T

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The increased range is also an intererting development. Because China and Russia are both in range of existing ICBM's in the inventory , I wonder who else they are thinking may be a threat???

If range with old warhead would be increased it would allow greater warhead weight without decrease in range.

new topics

top topics

join