Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Demystifying the Devil

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I posted this a week ago but since I was a new member it ended up in introduction, so people haven't seen it. Thought it belong and could be helpful here.

First I wanna say that I am not a religious person. I know about christianity because of where I was born but eventually things didn't had up for me. But I do respect the right to believes in the concepts brought by religions even tho I think churches are corrupted therefore irrelevant. In my search for truth I came across a lot of thing leading to the Bible. I was curious and read different key part of the book and the least I can say his that it's hard to read, but really interesting!

Taking the whole Von Daniken approach, I realized that the so call MANY NAMES of the Devil were most likely different entity!

Here's the list.

DEVIL - Comes from deofol which means "evil spirit" "false god" in general use "accuser, slanderer," from diaballein "to slander, attack," lit. "throw across," from dia- "across, through" + ballein "to throw"

(ET's that were at war with humans??)

SATAN - from Heb. satan "adversary, one who plots against another," from satan "to show enmity to, oppose, plot against," from root s-t-n "one who opposes, obstructs, or acts as an adversary."

(Not one entity, Anything who plot against the will of god?)

LUCIFER - "morning star," from L. Lucifer "morning star," lit. "light-bringing," from lux (gen. lucis) + ferre "carry"
"the one who bring light." (Quote)"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!" [KJV] The verse was interpreted by Christians as a reference to "Satan," because of the mention of a fall from Heaven, even though it is literally a reference to the KING OF BABYLON

(Fallen Angel or human?)

BEELZEBUB - Philistine god worshipped at Ekron - from Heb. ba'al-z'bub "lord of the flies," from ba'al "lord" + z'bhubh "fly." By later Christian writers often taken as another name for "Satan," though Milton made him one of the fallen angels.

(Obviously one entity - Why Lord of the Flies?? Could fly mean something else that flies...?)

So has we can see - they're all different entity! - Why the confusion, misinterpretation. It's not like I discovered something big, all references come form: www.etymonline.com...
And I bet thousands of priests around the world don't even know this. To me it's a simple example of how religion is simply based on interpretation and that everything that meant something in this and other religious books have been taken out a long,long time ago.

Here's another 2 important words that needs to be analyzed.

ARMAGEDDON: "a final conflict," 1811, figurative use of name in Rev. xvi.16, BUT IT IS ACTUALLY a place of the great and final conflict, from Heb. Har Megiddon "Mount of Megiddo," city in central Palestine, site of important Israeli battles.

(So it's place. Is it WHERE the final conflict should happen?)

and

APOCALYPSE : "revelation, disclosure," from Church L. apocalypsis "revelation," from Gk. apokalyptein "uncover," from apo- "from" + kalyptein "to cover, conceal"

( The moment where everything is reveal )

So why all of these words are use wrongfully? It just seems to me that the original words are not as scary as the use we make of them today. Lost or Hidden knowledge?

Could be interesting now to see if LORD, SHEPPARD, GOD, GODS, JESUS represent different entity!
If you have some biblical knowledge please bring in some insight.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMSEEKER

Wow that was completely er, un-demystifying. You told a bunch of religious nonsense and just showed how it points to other religious nonsense instead of the first religious nonsense. Ya, most of the religions we have take concepts from others(part of bringing heathens to the fold) . So let me be the one who really attacks this subject...

LUCIFER ISN'T REAL. There job done, and with brevity.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by F011235813

Wow that was completely er, un-demystifying. You told a bunch of religious nonsense and just showed how it points to other religious nonsense instead of the first religious nonsense. Ya, most of the religions we have take concepts from others(part of bringing heathens to the fold) . So let me be the one who really attacks this subject...

Could not have said it better myself. 100% correct

Muslim, Jew & Christian Devils (As well as Allah, god, Jesus etc), satan, beezelbub or luciferdo not exist they are creations of fake religions Argument settled !!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by F011235813

I think your missing the point of my thread....

I merely decided to check the origin of these words used to talk about what religions refers to as the opponent.
I realized that they all mean something different and thought it could be useful for some...

As for Lucifer not being real. Well it's only a matter of beliefs. You obviously don't but to say for a fact that he doesn't exist needs proofs. Something to back it up ... if you wanna be taken seriously.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Again, totally missing the point.....not bringing anything to the discussion at hand.....why are you even bothering to come on a thread about faith & religion.

...and again - I'd like a little proof with these affirmations.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMSEEKER

I think your missing the point of my thread....

I merely decided to check the origin of these words used to talk about what religions refers to as the opponent.
I realized that they all mean something different and thought it could be useful for some...

As for Lucifer not being real. Well it's only a matter of beliefs. You obviously don't but to say for a fact that he doesn't exist needs proofs. Something to back it up ... if you wanna be taken seriously.

Do I have hard facts and empirical study to back up they don't? No, of course not, even asking for such evidence is ludicrous. If you want to keep the blinders of religious dogma on then you go right on ahead and do so.

In my search for truth I came across a lot of thing leading to the Bible.

That there was your first misstep. Logic led you to the bible? Kinda ironic from where I'm sitting. Look elsewherrrre than that sourrce, sir, if ye be looking for yarr burrrrrried truth... ...if you want to be taken seriously.
edit on 12/14/2010 by F011235813 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

well this is the last thing I'll add to this conversation then let the scholars brings something good about what this thread is about...

If you had read the whole thing - you would know that I'm not a religious man myself and that I simply am interested in the origin and the influenced of the Bible.

But you seemed to be quick to jump the gun and have a strong reaction to religion by rejecting everything from it. Well if you don't look at both sides of one thing, you are not seeing it at all.

As for "asking for proof" it is just a simple way to make you realize that affirmations like that have no place in a debate about faith.

But again - this is not a debate about religion. It's a simple exercise in semantic.
edit on 14-12-2010 by IAMSEEKER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Oh, but how wrong you are. I've read the bible, several times in fact. I found it to be entertaining, and at times amusing. I was raised in a Christian house hold. However, I didn't let these handicaps hold me back! Dismissing religious mumbo jumbo (I've read a vast variety of religious works from a spectrum of faiths) as being mumbo jumbo isn't looking at half the picture, it's clearing out yesterday's debris. *sigh* Someday logic will rule, someday.

Ya, most of the religions we have take concepts from others(part of bringing heathens to the fold) .

I didn't miss the point of your thread by the way. The "jesus" concept is taken from Ra(you know Egypt) and ancient Sumeria. Want to make mud hut dwelling "savages" believe what you believe? Teach them your faith then tie it into theirs somehow.... Or just start your own faith and pick and choose what you want from all the religions of yesteryear. Why not? Its how most of em started anyway.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

ok ....I think you base your reflections on who you think I am, but you don't at all.

So, sir - if you know so much about christianity - you don't want to bring something to this discussion instead of telling me that I'm lost in religion when you have no idea what I believe in...

enough time and energy wasted on this thread.....I got people who actually understand what this thread is about with interesting answer on the other page.

Thanks for playing but you lost.....your time.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

read above ^. Not your post. Read mine. Ye Scurvy Cur.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Want to make mud hut dwelling "savages" believe what you believe? Teach them your faith then tie it into theirs somehow.... Or just start your own faith and pick and choose what you want from all the religions of yesteryear. Why not? Its how most of em started anyway.

AAAAAAAAAAAA. Finally something on the right note.

It's exactly what I think and that is why I thought an exercise in semantic about the name used for the religious opponent could be interesting.

And I do know about Ra and Iris and the Summarians and there possible connection with "angels falling from the skies" and the Watchers, and their buddy Lucifer who was cast out of heaven....do you start to understand where I'm coming from???

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

why are you even bothering to come on a thread about faith & religion.

Because like you & everyone else I am entitled to an opinion! Just because I believe the Jewish, Christian, Hindu & Muslim Gods/fictitious stories are bunch of XXXX should I not be entitled to express an opinion. Who the hell are you to tell me what I can & can't do? Oi Oi OI!

and again - I'd like a little proof with these affirmations.

With religious nonsense whether it be christian or islam it is up to them to prove it is true or exists as there is no proof it exists. Lol that you can even think you are important enough to dictate which threads I contribute to!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on you !

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Thanks for playing but you lost.....your time.

Well if you want to put it that way to fellow member you lost .............. Game Over ................. All organised religions are fake. I dare you to prove otherwise! Game over for religion! Prove It! Prove it! Prove It! before you attack!
edit on 14-12-2010 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Iamseeker,

Man, I find the proof to be in the "pudding". Where do people think all the evil in this old world came from and now has bloosomed into a frightful mess. Deciever, Destroyer are also names that are applied to him and he has the whole world now practically eating out of his hand. How can one not believe he isn't real. He is a spirit being and isn't seen by us because our eyes haven't been opened to see spirit beings.

He has also brought about a limited time for man to live as he led man into disobedience. Man didn't find a better way, he lost it and by grace God made a way for his redeeption.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

....people are so jumpy on this thread it's ridiculous....

I never said you didn't have the right to come here, I was just questioning why you do if it's just to come up with something that is just out of your faith (ie) improvable.

AND AGAIN - this is not about proving the existence of the devil - it's simply an exercise in semantic....
If you can't see that, I don't know why I bother...
edit on 14-12-2010 by IAMSEEKER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Nice list.
It does appear that the Bible is talking about a different entity in each instance.
Literally, when you look at the context and time-frame of each being, they do not make logical sense that they are the same being.

Here's another one, are "God" and "LORD God" the same being? I do not think so.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

ARMAGEDDON: "a final conflict," 1811, figurative use of name in Rev. xvi.16, BUT IT IS ACTUALLY a place of the great and final conflict, from Heb. Har Megiddon "Mount of Megiddo," city in central Palestine, site of important Israeli battles.

(So it's place. Is it WHERE the final conflict should happen?)
Revelation mentions a name of a place then says that in Hebrew it has a certain meaning. There is a story in the Old Testament about the Valley of Megiddo.

But Josiah did not turn back from him; he disguised himself for battle. He did not take seriously the words of Necho which he had received from God; he went to fight him in the Plain of Megiddo.

Josiah wondered if he should fight Pharaoh as he pass his kingdom on his way towards Assyria. Actually that was a good thing for Judea because it made a balance of power between the two empires, which took their focus off from making it their prey.
False prophets told Josiah to go to battle. The true prophet told Josiah that Satan entered into the false prophets in order to trick him into going to battle and his own death. Josiah eventually decided to follow the advice of the false prophets and died at Megiddo.
Revelation by mentioning the name, and the word, "Hebrew" should remind people of this story and be an indication of how such a war would come about, through satanic influence.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Literally, when you look at the context and time-frame of each being

It seems to be the case with LORDS and GODS to.

The way I understood from what I read, is that the GODS plural, were probably the visitors, as of LORD being the King of Gods. The supreme entity that govern everything would be the Lord of Lords, but I don't know how the"visitors" called their god.

but I'm far from knowing a lot about the bible. I just really like Von Daniken's turn on it and decided to look at different famous verse with that new approach.

The other thing that struck me in the bible is that everyone seems to live 900 years old in the old testament. Whats up with that? _ Heard a lot of people say that we use to live that long, but we've been "programed" to die a lot. !?!?!?

new topics

top topics

join