It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Holbrooke, noted diplomat, is dead at 69

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Richard Holbrooke, noted diplomat, is dead at 69

www.cnn.com

Richard C. Holbrooke, the high-octane diplomat who spearheaded the end of the Bosnian war and most recently served as the Obama administration's point man in the volatile Afghan-Pakistani war zone, has died, officials said.

The 69-year-old diplomat died Monday at George Washington University Hospital in Washington. He was admitted last Friday after feeling ill. Doctors performed surgery Saturday to repair a tear in his aorta.

One of the world's most recognizable diplomats, Holbrooke's car
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

President Obama called Holbrooke "a true giant of American foreign policy who has made America stronger, safer, and more respected."

"Tonight, there are millions of people around the world whose lives have been saved and enriched by his work," Obama said in a statement.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the nation had lost "one of its fiercest champions and most dedicated public servants."

"He was the consummate diplomat, able to stare down dictators and stand up for America's interests and values even under the most difficult circumstances," Clinton's statement said, later adding: "Few people have ever left a larger mark on the State Department or our country."

BREAKING NEWS STORY -- More information as it developes

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Other place of reference:

msnbc.com
FOXnews.com
Yahoo.com
BBCnews.com
Reuters.com
edit on 12/13/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Very sad. And yet strange, given the timing of the wikileaks.
edit on 14-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Something doesn't add up with all of the "official" comments about him, and the timing of his death...disturbing....

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Richard Holbrooke a strong NATO Expansion into Europe supporter and also he was dealing with the terrorists Kosovo Liberation Army which they are the only terrorists group who have removed them from terrorists watch list.

In tiled as Americas best freinds with the terrorists.

No offence but i have no sympathy for Holbrooke.

edit on 13-12-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
He probably knew too much. Obama needed to take him down before Holbrooke decided to spill the beans.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
double post

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
It seems Mr. Holbrooke had a massive heart attack? Perhaps, the strain of his involvement in the quagmire known as Afghanistan become more than he could bear? Afghanistan is descending deeper and deeper into the abyss and it will revert back to the way it was after the Soviets withdrew. Hamid Karzai is running around with no clear direction, his administration is corrupt beyond belief, massive amounts of reconstruction money has gone missing, drug barons have way to much influence in both the government and insurgency, Pakistan is playing both sides of the conflict, western combat troops are saddled with restrictive rules of engagement procedures, and the list goes on . . . As things continue to get worse, I fear one day the ethnic groups will put aside their differences, and band together as they did during the Soviet Occupation. If that happens, that could make an already untenable matter a walking disaster.

The country is lost, and that may have been known to Mr. Holbrooke? It seems the policies he was spearheading in that region of the world are not clicking among the people? That can be a depressing thing. Nothing seems to be going right for anyone involved. He faced criticism for how he handled the conflict in the Balkans and was facing criticism for how the situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan is going. I don't think there is any conspiracy linked to his sudden death, and I think it was one of those rogue heart attacks that can come at any time. The weight of his current mission became more than he could bare, and his ticker gave out.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
RICHARD Holbrooke, the late US special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, had some stark final words as he was sedated and going in for surgery.
"You've got to stop this war in Afghanistan,'' Mr Holbrooke told his Pakistani surgeon, the Washington Post reported.

www.heraldsun.com.au...

Can't seem to find this on The Washington Post website.
(That's not to say it isn't there, though.)

Did he jump or was he pushed?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Yep, just like what happened to FDR. 4 terms. Thats just crazy.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I read through all the links you provided. It looks like he was a very busy man. I wonder who's going to pick up where he left off.
On another note, and I hope this isn't off topic, how do you tear your aorta?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Although we have a saying "Only tell good about the dead" i do wanna make a remark

At Friday he dies, at Saturday a report arrives about the Kosovo president being a criminal in killing people and sell there organs.

The story tells that all western officials and diplomats knew about this little "enterprise" but decided that they keep their mouth shut because of political stability.

Well in Kosovo they say it is a conspiracy against the President.

Whatever of the above is true, i find the dead of Holbrooke one day before the report highly suspicious! Holbrooke was one of the main architects of the creation of Kosovo as an independent state.

new topics

top topics

join