It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seoul, Washington sign TOF on joint security plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Seoul, Washington sign TOF on joint security plan

joongangdaily.joins.com

It will be the first time the U.S. forms such a committee with a non-NATO country.

Within the partnership, the U.S. can provide South Korea with tactical nuclear weapons, conventional-strike and missile-defense capabilities to defend against an attack from North Korea.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
So I already posted that on the North Korea crisis thread... but this is very important...

This is the first time such a thing is done outside NATO....

This would literally put South Korea under the US nuclear umbrella... SKorea would have the same advantages as a NATO member, but without the decision making/cost/requirements...

If SKorea is attacked by the North, the US will assist the South with everything they've got, including nukes, if necessary.

This is a big deal.

joongangdaily.joins.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Its like mobsters putting insurance on their property before burning it to the ground mere weeks later.

This seems like a final chess move to me if i've ever seen one.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Socratic Methodreply to post by Vitchilio

Or...it is a means to additionally appease the S Koreans--who were not too keen on the recent US/SK economic trade deal?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'm extremely isolationist and disgusted with the last several years of this country's international policy and aggression but I'm rather okay with this. South Korea is an important ally of ours and has become a very westernized and modern nation. South Korea to my knowledge has largely remain dormant and made no moves to antagonize the North or China. North Korea in contrast has been an antagonist of ours since it's inception and has continually attacked and killed both Americans and South Koreans unprovoked while threatening Nuclear War. I honestly think the wars in the middle east were by far the stupidest moves this country has ever made and will be it's undoing. However I've always supported a war against North Korea and I'm completely dismayed by Bush's administration not going after arguably the only legitimate terrorist nation on the globe... well aside from Saudi Arabi and Israel.

These are people are threatening nuclear war, this isn't propaganda from our government. So I'm all for our government standing up to this country and making Little Kim put his money where his mouth is.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I agree that S. Korea needs to defend itself, and we would not want to see them fall to an assault form the North. However, do we really need to do this? Are they not capable of winning a war without us?

The missile defense system, i get. The tactical nukes? Not so much.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well they think that's the only way they can stop the North from using CHEMICAL WEAPONS which the South generals think for sure they will use.

Because the North cannot win without those.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Well they think that's the only way they can stop the North from using CHEMICAL WEAPONS which the South generals think for sure they will use.

Because the North cannot win without those.

they will do it anyway. if anything, NK has shown that that they are not being led by a sane person.

Kim Jong Il looks more like a female Korean Elvis impersonator.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

He is relatively sane, of course he does portray himself as god like, but that is a twisted yet sane method of control and totalitarian rule over a completely isolated population if that's what you are aiming for. Anyway, i still believe a diplomatic solution will be found in the end, a war is unnecessary and would be disastrous...nukes would sadly be on the table.

edit on 31-12-2010 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join