It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would You End All Religions on This Planet?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Why would they want to end religion? It could and will end up being there greatest weapon.

Religion as they currently have it, will not help them in controlling the population, because no matter what some may think it is still a way of free thinking that differs from world views.

What will end up happening is a single religion will end up trying to encompass all religions in one. Places of worship will be required to fill the spiritual needs of all, no matter what it may be, under non discrimination, and if any pastor tries to convert that person to their beliefs then they will be put in jail for not respecting that persons beliefs.

In time all of the faiths will end up coming together into one single religion and mindset, which will en-turn allow the powers that be to influence the thoughts of people through a public religion, that will be thought of as the only truly free religion, because as long as you play by the rules you can believe in who ever you want.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Oh, so now you're asserting that there is evidence for religious claims? There is no evidence. All evidence is against religious claims. My position is permanent and non-religious (atheist). I don't go to church, I don't worship anything, I have my own opinions (yes, atheists have opinions too) and I definitely do not read religious books. Atheists can have opinions of religion and religious assertions. I'm surprised at how incredibly flawed your response was. I suggest that you find the definition of religion in a dictionary. Once you do that, we'll see if you've finally realized your mistake of calling me religious or if you're still dumb enough to do it again.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

Jesus...what I meant was...with the right guidance people will believe in the right thing.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

As suggested this section concerns significant Christian thinkers in science who are alive today. Those who lead organizations of Christians in science or who write works concerning how Christians of today respond to science. Interest in this has increased in recent decades due to continued controversies and recognition from awards like the Templeton Prize.
Name Image Reason for inclusion

Charles Hard Townes
(born 1915) 2007 nibib pett-tow hi.jpg In 1964 he won the Nobel Prize in Physics and in 1966 he wrote The Convergence of Science and Religion. The picture is of Townes with Dr. Roderic Pettigrew, Townes is on the right.

Ian Barbour
(born 1923) Carleton chapel.JPG A physicist who wrote Christianity and the Scientists in 1960, and When Science Meets Religion ISBN 0-06-060381-X in 2000. For years he taught at Carleton College, hence their chapel is pictured.

Freeman Dyson
(born 1923) Freeman Dyson.jpg He has won the Lorentz Medal, the Max Planck Medal, and the Lewis Thomas Prize. He also ranked 25th in The 2005 Global Intellectuals Poll. He has won the Templeton Prize and delivered one of the Gifford Lectures.

Antonino Zichichi
(born 1929) Antonino Zichichi 2008.JPG Italian nuclear physicist and former President of the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare. He has worked with the Vatican on relations between the Church and Science.[

John Polkinghorne
(born 1930) Johnpolkinghorne.jpg British particle physicist and Anglican priest who wrote Science and the Trinity (2004) ISBN 0-300-10445-6. Winner of the 2002 Templeton Prize.

Owen Gingerich
(born 1930) MnF=postcard.jpg Mennonite astronomer who went to Goshen College and Harvard. An old picture of Goshen is shown. Mr. Gingerich has written about people of faith in science history.

John T. Houghton
(born 1931) JohnHoughtonHighWycombe20050226 CopyrightKaihsuTai.jpg He is the co-chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and won a gold medal from the Royal Astronomical Society. He's also former Vice President of Christians in Science.

R. J. Berry
(born 1934) UCL Portico Building.jpg He is a former president of both the Linnean Society of London and the Christians in Science group. He also wrote God and the Biologist: Personal Exploration of Science and Faith (Apollos 1996) ISBN 0-85111-446-6 As he taught at University College London for over 20 years its main building is pictured.

Michał Heller
(born 1936) He is a Catholic priest, a member of the Pontifical Academy of Theology, a founding member of the International Society for Science and Religion.' He also is a mathematical physicist who has written articles on relativistic physics and Noncommutative geometry. His cross-disciplinary book Creative Tension: Essays on Science and Religion came out in 2003. For this work he won a Templeton Prize. He teaches at Kraków, hence the picture of a Basilica from the city.

Ghillean Prance
(born 1937) Eden project tropical biome.jpg A noted botanist involved in the Eden Project, which is pictured. He is also the current President of Christians in Science.
Donald Knuth
(born 1938) KnuthAtOpenContentAlliance.jpg (Lutheran) The Art of Computer Programming and 3:16 Bible Texts Illuminated (1991), ISBN 0-89579-252-4.

Eric Priest
(born 1943) United College University of St Andrews.jpg An authority on Solar Magnetohydrodynamics who won the George Ellery Hale Prize among others. He has spoken on Christianity and Science at the University of St Andrews and is a member of the Faraday Institute. An image from St. Andrews is shown. He is also interested in prayer, meditation, and Christian psychology.

Christopher Isham
(born 1944) Royal School of Mines entrance.jpg Theoretical physicist who developed HPO formalism. He teaches at Imperial College London, part of which is pictured to the side. In addition to being a physicist, he is a philosopher and theologian.

Henry F. Schaefer, III
(born 1944) H F Schafer.jpg He wrote Science and Christianity: Conflict or Coherence? ISBN 0-9742975-0-X and is a signatory of A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism. He was awarded the American Chemical Society Award in Pure Chemistry in 1979.

Robert T. Bakker
(born 1945) Allosaurus skull SDNHM.jpg Paleontologist who was a figure in the "dinosaur Renaissance" and known for the theory some dinosaurs were Warm-blooded. He is also a Pentecostal preacher who advocates theistic evolution and has written on religion.

Kenneth R. Miller
(born 1948) BrownScienceLibrary1.JPG A biology professor at Brown University who wrote Finding Darwin's God ISBN 0-06-093049-7, The picture is of Brown's Science Library.

Francis Collins
(born 1950) Francis Collins.jpg He is the current director of the National Institutes of Health and former director of the US National Human Genome Research Institute. He has also written on religious matters in articles and in Faith and the Human Genome he states the importance to him of "the literal and historical Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, which is the cornerstone of what I believe." He wrote the book The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief.

Simon C. Morris
(born 1951) ROM-BurgessShale-CompleteAnomalocarisFossil.png A British paleontologist who made his reputation through study of the Burgess Shale fossils, one of which is pictured. He was the co-winner of a Charles Doolittle Walcott Medal and also won a Lyell Medal. He is active in the Faraday Institute for study of science and religion and is also noted on discussions concerning the idea of theistic evolution.

John D. Barrow
(born 1952) Grasshopper-crest.GIF An English cosmologist who did notable writing on the implications of the Anthropic principle. He is a United Reformed Church member and Christian deist. He won the Templeton Prize in 2006. He once held the position of Gresham Professor of Astronomy, so their crest is pictured.

Denis Alexander
(born ????) P7290032.JPG Director of the Faraday Institute and author of Rebuilding the Matrix – Science and Faith in the 21st Century. He also supervises a research group in cancer and immunology at the Babraham Institute, hence Babraham hall is pictured.

Stephen Barr
(born ????) UDel4.jpg He is a physicist who worked at Brookhaven National Laboratory and contributed papers to Physical Review as well as Physics Today. He also is a Catholic who writes for First Things and wrote Modern Physics and Ancient Faith. He teaches at the University of Delaware, whose Wolf Hall is pictured.

Martin Nowak
(born 1965) HarvardPaulRevere.jpg Evolutionary biologist and mathematician best known for evolutionary dynamics. He teaches at Harvard University, which is pictured in an old drawing.

John Lennox Ralph Agas map of Oxford 1578.gif Mathematician and Pastoral adviser. His works include the mathematical The Theory of Infinite Soluble Groups and the religion-oriented God's Undertaker – Has Science buried God? He has also debated religion with Richard Dawkins. He teaches at Oxford, so an old map of it is pictured.

Jennifer Wiseman Goddard aerial.gif Jennifer Wiseman is Chief of the Laboratory for Exoplanets and Stellar Astrophysics at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. An aerial of the Center is shown. In addition she is a co-discoverer of 114P/Wiseman-Skiff. In religion is a Fellow of the American Scientific Affiliation and on June 16, 2010 became the new director for the American Association for the Advancement of Science's Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just a few examples, bet they are smarter then us.
edit on 123131p://bTuesday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned1990
My position is permanent and non-religious (atheist).

You said...again...your position is permanent

The reason atheists do not believe in deitys is lack of proof...if proof is presented, then it is accepting the reality of a deity.
remaining permanent in a position not believing in something simply out of principle, even when it goes against the proof, is the very core of religions nonsense standing.

There is no proof of deities at the moment...however, this may not always be the case. hell, next year, Thor may come down and prove beyond a doubt his claims...will you still be an atheist then? no...you cannot, unless you change atheism to be a full fledged religion that is founded purely in belief over proof.

I know you do not understand the argument here..it really doesn't matter though. rarely do I get through to religious mindsets

I am an athiest. I do not believe in deities. Should proof come, I am willing to revisit this and make changes accordingly, because for me, atheism is not a religion. My position by default cannot be permanent considering I view science as the deciding factor of what is and isnt. Science is always changing, and therefore so is my outlook.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by Equinox99
reply to post by SaturnFX

Mr. Saturn,

You can't group those atheists with religious and say they are religious too. Because if we were to argue I can say that they lack a belief so therefore they have no religion.

Atheist core values is in being rational.

a violent action to 85% of the world over an ideal is about as irrational as it gets...it flys in the face of atheism.

Sorry...we are trading him with your side...we will take...hmm..Obama in exchange (we know he is just faking the religious belief anyhow)...deal?

Christianity's core values are:

Love your God with all your mind, body, and soul
Love your neighbor
10 commandments

So the ones who practiced the killing and tortures, by nature, are not practicing how the religion was intended on being used. They do not speak for everyone.

So now the rational thing to ask would be:

If religion WAS abolished, do you assume the world will magically turn to rational thinkers, than hold hands and fight for the greater good? Why or why not?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Easy.

All religions sell off 100% of what they own and start from scratch with their story. All money being given to the poor. ALL of it.
Abolish all indoctrination at home and in the schools, so everyone approaches the stories at face value.

Gone. Poof.

If I were to use the methods of indoctrination, guilt, scare tactics, and absolute twaddle that 99.9% of the religions use and 'made' you believe in the flying spaghetti monster, you'd think I was crazy.
And yet, millions believe in things based on exactly those principles.

If you believe in something 100%, and you get a profound feeling of something or other from it, then I am absolutely in awe of you. Faith is fabulous.
Fables are just fables.

Take the power away, and let the religions do their thing based solely on their stories and you'll find the world is a little less tolerant of some of the ridiculous claims.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
Atheism doesn't have any dogma or credo, its not an ideology, its just a position on belief in god(s). It cannot logically be linked to any atrocities committed by totalitarian regimes who happened to be anti-religion.

Originally posted by SaturnFX
And finally, I fully agree

therefore, people whom are using atheism to promote a atrocity agenda should not be then considered athiest but rather a ideal based dogma based on a system of beliefs based strictly on their ideals

aka, a religion...lets think up a nifty name.

...they can call themselves whatever they want - its their life...

...saying that they're not an atheist is as wrong as saying that all atheists believe in science or that all atheists are logical / rational or that we're all pacifists... atheists are as diverse in behaviors, beliefs and values as any other group on the planet...

...this pigeon-holing / rule-making thing is very common among atheists that had a religious upbringing who still havent broken through the programming... its no wonder that some religious folks think atheism is a religion - "heads know heads" applies (in a weird kind of way)...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
If religion WAS abolished, do you assume the world will magically turn to rational thinkers, than hold hands and fight for the greater good? Why or why not?

No, but I think it would take away a historical argument on why war and violence is necessary.

no more "God is on our side, we are right" ideology...rather, it will be simply...is what we are trying to attain worth the risk of human lives.

There will still be resources fought over until we have technology to make that redundant
there will still be the common human issues of jealousy, envy, and other types of violent reactions to the world...and no doubt there will be leaders rife with these issues.

There will also be people whom simply lose their mind because they cannot consider something bigger than themselves to work for, so fall into a uncaring mindset due to desperation that religion could have helped him with.

At the moment, we are not ready for religion to be removed from society...it is needed to control the emotional reactions of society. I simply hope that as time and tech move on, religion will be less of a factor for people. Drop it for personal spirituality.

Incidently, your core values is the washed down western christianity. You know as well as I do what is in the bible...and those crazy literalists are actually pretty dead on in regards to what the bible teaches.
If christians were moderates and non ideological like you, the history books would read very different.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
And there is the major fallacy you've made. You assumed that I am not willing to change my mind if evidence is presented, causing you to claim that I've made a "religion" of my atheism. Like you, I would change my mind if evidence was presented. Here's the problem: There is no evidence and there never will be. Gods are impossible concepts and their "existence" is shrinking every year as new discoveries are made in the fields of science. Like I said, my position is permanent. If you think my non-religious mindset is somehow religious, then provide some evidence to validate your ridiculous claim. You claimed it and now the burden of proof is on you. I guess I could say your unproven belief (that my non-religious mindset is somehow "religious") is a religion of its own, which means you are a religious atheist. Am I right about that? It's the same fallacy you presented, but I'll just ignorantly consider it a fact without evidence to support it, which is what you did in the first place. You really need to think hard before responding.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Condemned1990 because: Quote wouldn't work.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Well stated, anyone can believe what they wish, just as long as they do not push it against others, and the universe is often a good tool in putting someone in thier place.
Reilgious people scream about intolerance, but they are hypocrites themsevles.

Religion is a tool to pit man against man, yet follow in a single ordery line. A tool of indoctrination.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned1990

You assumed that I am not willing to change my mind if evidence is presented,

Like I said, my position is permanent.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Religion is a virus to Earth in my honest opinion. From Islam to Christianity. All of it.

If I became all powerful here on Earth and had the choice...
I would consider giving humanity an option.

On a certain date in the future... All religious persons of any faith must pass the Earth to the faithless on a final day of reckoning whereas all religious persons must drink the 'aid, if you know what I mean.

The faithful get to meet their makers.
The faithless get a world without hate.

Sounds like a plan, stan.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Time for bed. SaturnFX, read my response and consider reevaluating your assertions. My "religious", atheist mind needs rest. If your response is still the same, we're done. Let me know when you gain some useful knowledge and decide to stop asserting without proving, that is IF you ever do those things. Goodbye.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

It is a virus. That's why a novel called 'The God Virus' was written, which is one of my favorite books of all time.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I agree with removing organized religion and letting them have personal beliefs, without the cult communal reinforcement they'll at least not be a threat to others en masse

forgive the pun there

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I would end all religion on this planet in one fell swoop. How ?? I would make it all available for free. Remove from the equation the money these charlatans extort from people in the name of __________ [ insert your brand of faith/brainwashing here], and the whole thing would come crashing down.
No money = no power, no control, and thus no point in continuing the scam.

As a post script tho, if it makes any of you feel any better you can always send your hard earned cash to me and absolve yourselves of any guilt. I promise I won't waste it...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I don't believe that anyone would be able to end organized religion. Members would go into hiding to practice their beliefs, much as the Cathars did in the 1300's when they were crusaded against.

Having said that, the race of man needs to accept each others beliefs and learn to live and work together. We don't have to like each other, just get along without destroying ourselves.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Tax all religious donations and income. It may not eliminate all religions immediately but would reduce their numbers drastically.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
How Would You End All Religions on This Planet?

First, get rid of monetary motivations. "Money-changers" from out of town have infiltrated our local parish, by the way. Annoying bunch of beggars, they are.

Second, get rid of the nutballs. Worshipers are the worse nutjobs. They believe salvation among other nutjobs who attend their places of worship. Annoying bunch of show-offs, too.

Third, get rid of religious objects. These includes graven images, books and other such trinkets. Perhaps they could take up gardening instead.

Fourth, have E.T. and pals reveal themselves. Alas, the nutballs from item number two above will create yet another religious organization; thus item number one above will start all over again with item number three as the "tickets" to salvation.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join