It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would You End All Religions on This Planet?

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
My experiences had nothing to do with my feelings. Only one experience had to do with my feelings, and it makes me long to be with God. As I said, my evidence is not your evidence, but my own; it will not move you. I asked God to reveal Himself in such a way that I would not be able to deny it without lying. It was delivered to me and still is.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

No problem, i guess you believe what you want to believe at the end of the day, i'm not challenging that freedom.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I prayed with purity of heart and with all my soul, and since then, and now even, I have had experiences that not only point to the supernatural, but to the truth of the crucifixion, but you won't believe and will call me a liar or deluded, until something similar happens to you. I would be a liar if I denied Jesus is more than a fairy tale, as I previously thought. First you must seek God with all your heart and all your soul, and then you will receive your evidence.

Glad this approach worked for you.

Personally, I will not boast of the "purity" of my heart, but I can tell you that I desired "truth", no matter where the chips were to fall.

I was raised in a Christian family, so much so that one of my brothers entered the seminary for a while. We were taught our "faith", and I can tell you we knew far more than the average bear when it came to the subject.

But I'd like to say that I perhaps knew "too much". There's an old saying, that some of my religionist progenitors were fond of, "moderation in all things". Ah, if they had only been a bit more moderate when it came to religion, I might still being sitting in a pew somewhere!

This was my personal context as I launched my own "search". I learned not only what I was "supposed to know", but I went beyond, at one time, long ago, with the "conviction" dare I say, that I would only continue to find more, and more confirmation of the things I had been given as a child.

Without any particular intention, I began reading mostly what we might call things already "approved". The Bible! Things that other religious thinkers had written. I was, and am, a fan of C.S. Lewis, who spoke so eloquently of his journey to faith, in his case, with the Pilgrim "regressing", instead of progressing.

BUT, there were problems with my small religious paradigm that were apparently so big, that they could scarcely be hidden beneath even Christian writings. There were "clues" everywhere it seemed, and yet, as a believer, they are often completely overlooked.

I don't see the average religious person as a "liar" when they speak of their experiences. I had some that might make anyone want to call me a liar too! I don't even think that the word "deluded" is completely fair.

Religion typically is what today might be called a memeplex that covers enough bases to remain unassailable while the believer looks out onto the world. They are "trapped" you might say in their paradigm, and the only possible way for them to get free, is to...

...walk out the open door. Saying this, I would never minimize the enormity of such an endeavor, at least as seen from the "inside". It only looks "easy" AFTER one has walked out, and looked back.

And no, it wasn't really all that "easy"! But this was not due to some giant mental unsolvable puzzle. It was never anything like that. Remaining within the arms of religion is probably more an inertia thing. If that's where we are, that just might be where we'll stay.

SO, what is the way "out"? It probably sounds very much like what you have described as the way "back"!

"Praying with purity of heart and soul..." Or as the nonreligious might put it, wanting the truth, no matter what it happened to be, even if it was unpleasant.

The difference? I'll share my experience about this.

We MUST, somehow, step "out" of the box FIRST. In other words, in order to have even the slightest possibility of getting beyond "faith", you must actually have, at least momentary "faith", that your "faith" is so strong, that you're not "worried" about not coming back.

That was probably confusing, but "if" a person can do this (not easy), then the rest will follow. Specifically, it involves truly stepping into the moccasins of exactly the person you imagine can't possibly have the answer. For a moment, you suspend your beliefs, and honestly try and see what the "other" sees. If you succeed, even for a moment, you may instantly find that you are looking back at your former cage. You have walked out the door!

It's an interesting process, because I believe that it involves a tremendous amount of personal integrity. Yes, I realize that will sound full of pride, but it's not so different from the person who imagines they have anything close to "purity of heart"...

JR

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I wouldn't end religion. I would however like to see an end to religions having an input on society. If people want to believe in some silly old stories with no historic basis, that is their perogative. However their views (particularly on morality, media, government etc) should have no weight and should be forcibly removed from the public arena.

A purely secular society is the way to go.

Is this achievable? not likely. Therefore I am destined to rant for the rest of my life (at least it gives me something to do).

And just a note; I hate religion. Yup, it's true. I don't hate religious people though. Why? because they are just like everyone else some are stupid as#hats and others are nice, warm and intelligent people, etc etc.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Simple, tax the churches or press the delete button on currency
Religion can only survive with currency. Without currency religion is as dead as god.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by linuxcore

I believe religions will fade away when more people take an interest in science.

The universe sure is chaotic, and i'm not denying it's order (and beauty) I'm not saying the universe is completely "random". I just want to say that the opposite of random isn't "intelligently" designed.

"Order" does not inherently mean intelligently invoked. Evolution is perfect example of this.

see: The Blind Watchmaker for more information

Hypothetically, I am even willing to grant the Theist the idea that an intelligent designer created the universe but it seems evident that the designer does not "care" as it will. The designer certainly watches his design with indifference as the chaos ensues. Planets destroyed and created, gallaxys colliding. I'm not negating it's beauty by the way.

I just think it's a beauty that can be admired without "God".
edit on 18/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

Not in the least. Rather, I replied specifically to those who proposed elimination solutions. This by no means includes all atheists - just those who would kill everybody who professes a religion.

In this vein was my final comment made: "A lack of faith is just as lousy an excuse for genocide as a misapplication of faith." Meaning those who propose genocide based on faith, regardless of content, expose themselves as simple murderers.

Those who hold a faith honestly, while respecting that of others', are merely exercising their beliefs. These two groups are in no way automatically integrated.

Likewise, defensiveness is anathema to logical discussion. De-personalize the concepts and the analysis becomes much more reasonable.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

And where did I claim to be a Christian? I could have been describing similarities between insane bacon-eaters and vegetarian terrorists. Does this make me Jewish?

At the end of the day, as the old saying goes, "Arguing religion on the internet is like participating in the Special Olympics. Even if you win . . ." and respect for my autistic son compels me to let you finish it.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by corquando

Those who profess to want to kill all religious people do not deserve the label of Atheism, as it is to act using reason and logic to be an Atheist. Atheists understand that we derive our morals from our social responsibility as humans, to kill someone is to destroy the rationalism that was used to justify your position of Atheism.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

I meant purity of my heart as in the first time in my life praying and actually meaning it. Usually when I would pray I would not truly mean it, because I doubted a God could ever exist. I had completely surrendered myself and took an emotional risk to see if God would answer my prayer. I don't mean to say my heart is pure, but the prayer I gave was like a child believing in the possibility of Santa. If God truly did exist He would show me the way, but if He didn't answer I would never turn around to consider the contrary ever again.
edit on 18-12-2010 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Praying - LINK

Enjoy

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

The supernatural world is where thoughts, beliefs, and emotions collide. So basically, the people who wrote the bible get a monopoly on life perspective. Or, if you have a more personal relationship with god, the dogma of the Bible and the bias of your own ego collide to create a world perspective that is, in your eyes, "objectively" true for all. What is the objective of this "objective" truth I might add.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by orwellianunenlightenment

Great question. Couldn't agree more with your comments, they ring true to me - Nice name too.

Peace
edit on 19/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Religions fade out and end themselves. Religion and other superstitious claims can only be upheld through endless indoctrination and propaganda

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ztruthseeker

We are all Agnostic (without knowledge) as to the source of reality or the creation of the universe. Because of this we are all Atheists.

Religion is idiotic and irrational. Even they, are unwilling to see the irony of the fact that they are all Atheists towards every religion but their own.

edit on 22/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
My theory that anything with energy would be called God or part of The System. And if that is the case, that would mean anything with energy, including humans down to slugs, would be a fraction of God or The System. On this planet our own individual energies were encased by a more intelligent life-form (another fractional part of God) that has the ability to manipulate energies into matter. This does not make the intelligent life form superior on a energy level, only on a knowledge level. Which on a universal scale, knowledge is power. It also gives intelligent life forms, abilities to harbor the appearance of a god, and power to manipulate masses into a conformity. Which many humans fall victim to thinking this is God, in-turn not living to their true potential.

This is a grand deception, in my opinion, against the true will of the System itself.
Every living being is part of The Whole. That is why it is important that we are unique and individual, this process feeds the entire System (God) in the growth process. The System is an ultimate balance. And religions and mass control outlets only disrupts the True balance as whole.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Praying is not an illusion because what I asked for was something no human can give nor something you can accidentally stumble upon and something not as intangible as just feeling good or something vague like that.

It's funny, because when I was an atheist I would link videos like that.
edit on 23-12-2010 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by yesIAM
My theory that anything with energy would be called God or part of The System. And if that is the case, that would mean anything with energy, including humans down to slugs, would be a fraction of God or The System. On this planet our own individual energies were encased by a more intelligent life-form (another fractional part of God) that has the ability to manipulate energies into matter. This does not make the intelligent life form superior on a energy level, only on a knowledge level. Which on a universal scale, knowledge is power. It also gives intelligent life forms, abilities to harbor the appearance of a god, and power to manipulate masses into a conformity. Which many humans fall victim to thinking this is God, in-turn not living to their true potential.

This is a grand deception, in my opinion, against the true will of the System itself.
Every living being is part of The Whole. That is why it is important that we are unique and individual, this process feeds the entire System (God) in the growth process. The System is an ultimate balance. And religions and mass control outlets only disrupts the True balance as whole.

Whew. That's a very good reason for the question posed by this thread, and a classic example for the need to do so. Now, How Would You End All Religions on This Planet? Any ideas?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Praying is not an illusion because what I asked for was something no human can give nor something you can accidentally stumble upon and something not as intangible as just feeling good or something vague like that.

Then please tell me what you have gained from praying?

Why pray for nobility when you can be noble?

Why pray from strength when you be strong?

It's as if people think that these wishes can be granted by some supernatural force like some sort of dispensing system.

As far as i am concerned, praying is wishful thinking. There is no evidence that it works and is no more than a placebo to those that claim it does.

When any other normal person talks to invisible people - they are labelled insane, when a religious person does the same, this is act is labelled as "Pious" and respected.

It's funny, because when I was an atheist I would link videos like that

Pretty funny i have to say, suddenly you believed that the metaphysical claims of praying are true and that these wishes can manifest in reality. I find that hilarious.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

How Would You End All Religions on This Planet? Any ideas?

So long as there's people who are willing to believe without evidence then this idiocy will continue.

<< 33  34  35    37  38 >>

join