It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics have started every war, NOT RELIGION!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have been thinking about the idea that religion has started every war. This can obviously be true to the eyes who only see the religious connections, but it is far more complicated than that. I have no tongue to speak about politics, I watch it on news websites (besides fox) and judge for myself. Politics is not my stronghold and I have honestly been interested in it post 9/11. 9/11 made me addicted to the news. I was in 11th grade btw.

I would like to share my ideas of religion vs politics.

Most major "leaders" who have both political power and religious power are probably the most dangerous individuals. In other words if hitler was the pope nowadays he would probably be the most powerful person (anti christ?).
Those who are religious leaders (jewish, islam, christian) have a stronghold on individuals beliefs and practices.

The worst thing American Christians do IMO is that they are intolerant, pickit sign numbskulls.
Christians will probably never protest, because anarchy and stating your feelings is a bad thing

The Islamist extremist are runed by powerful individuals who have political power and use the religion of Islam against people who they hate.

Hitler was completely political

During the crusade the pope had great influence politicly and religiously. He(they) used that power to kill millions.

Afgan war was political

WW2 political

The problems of the world is politics.

Debate on
edit on 13-12-2010 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Religion and politics are synonymous..

The pope and the king work together

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
mmmm... Im Not Smart enough to dive into religion but, yeah i believe goverments create wars, i just beleive religion fuels them too. need a goverment to start a war need a religion to fight one.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JarredAus
mmmm... Im Not Smart enough to dive into religion but, yeah i believe goverments create wars, i just beleive religion fuels them too. need a goverment to start a war need a religion to fight one.

Yes, religion does fuel people with malice and anger. I do see that obviously. The connection is precisely why I believe the gov/king/whatever pushes the ball off the hill of religion

What starts first is politics. Politics is the main problem. Remove the first step and you do not have a setup for war at all.
How can one person by the voice of millions. It is unrealistic. Kings were around pre bible. Kingdoms stood throughout the world that was even touched by any of the middle east 3

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I think it just depends on the time period..
Right now it would seem that religion is in the back seat but it hasn't always been that way..

Many wars were started over the Churches hunger for power and they had kings in THEIR back pockets...

Watch the show Pillars of Earth, it's an extremely accurate portrayal of Religion and Politics and has Ian McShane as a corrupt bishop

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Every war has 2 sides ... someone has what you want, someone wants what you have. There's no other cause for war.

Religion and race are common dividing lines for determining axis and allies.

Politics is how war is sold or justified to the people and to allies.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I love this discussion. Because I believe that no religion (religion, meaning spirituality) (pure of belief) can never create a war. Unless used in a improper manner.

From a christian standpoint I believe that Paul #ed up in the New testament. Same thing with the extended laws in exodus. this is where it is stated that homosexuality is bad, etc etc,

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by area6
Every war has 2 sides ... someone has what you want, someone wants what you have. There's no other cause for war.

Religion and race are common dividing lines for determining axis and allies.

Politics is how war is sold or justified to the people and to allies.

Axis and allies really brings the idea of WW2 to mind.

Both axis and allies were probably comprised mainly of christians. Germany is heavy catholics/christian and 1940s in the U.S. hmm what was that like? lol

But yes, religion and race divides people. No one can accept difference that is a underlining human problem. intolerant of others

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Well that's the unfortunate thing about Religion.. While it can be a great thing, it is also easily manipulated to get people to do crazy things.. Just look at Extremists in every religion.. It wasn't the good word that made them that way, it was someone playing with their heads..

It's easier for religion to be used because they can hold your confessions against you.. On Pillars of Earth the Bishop listens to the confessions and then blackmails people with it.. He also absolves murderers because he can use them, telling them murder in war is justified if it's in God's name...

I know that was just a show, but it shows how easily it can be used for the nefarious

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Usually in the end God wins the war. It's just we humans who do the grunt work for him.

Tank Skeet Shooting
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I agree. Religion is a common dividing line but not an absolute one.

Remember US/NATO defended muslims in Yugoslavia ... does not seem to fit the pattern ... but that war started with muslims against christians. Milosovic's key political mistake was to get frustrated by the guerilla tactics used against him and engage in house-to-house genocide. Bad political move - the world could not buy that and sided with the muslims against him.

Same mistake Hitler made, "politically".

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by area6

Remember US/NATO defended muslims in Yugoslavia ... does not seem to fit the pattern, "politically".

The Serbo-Croat War originally started between Yugoslavian Communists versus Muslims. Not Christians against Muslims.
edit on 13-12-2010 by fredcall because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
On a side note.

Catholics have caused so much damege in the world. and I hear nothing about the orthodox church. hmm intresting

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
On a side note.

Catholics have caused so much damege in the world. and I hear nothing about the orthodox church. hmm intresting

Maybe because you don't read Russian. The Russian Orthodox Church was imminently responsible for raising funds to support Russian armored units during the Sieges of Leningrad and Stalingrad by the Nazis. The Catholic Church supplied goodly sums of monies ot the Russian Orthodox Church during the war. History is fun to study. Really.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by fredcall

On a side note.

Maybe because you don't read Russian. The Russian Orthodox Church was imminently responsible for raising funds to support Russian armored units during the Sieges of Leningrad and Stalingrad by the Nazis. The Catholic Church supplied goodly sums of monies ot the Russian Orthodox Church during the war. History is fun to study. Really.

I'm not pro Nazi. Well I could understand that. Orthodox was just defending the motherland. Russia is the misunderstood teenager of the world.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by fredcall

Russia is the misunderstood teenager of the world.

Oh, Gawd. You made my night with that statement.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
But politics for the sake of politics? No.

It's always about RESOURCES. Other things may be used as reasons for inciting support, but it's always about the control of resources. You want something someone else has, and the only way to get it when diplomacy doesn't work, is war. Simple as that. It's no different than one child wanting another child's toy, so first he asks for it, but then when told no, he bops the other on the head and takes it.

Same premise, but on a grander scale, and no more difficult to understand than that.

Sure, folks like to color it and spin it differently...but if you pare right down to it, you'll see the contention for resources forming the basis of all such conflicts.

new topics

top topics

join