It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

u.k. government condem protesters as footage of a man in a wheelchair being attacked emerges.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

so the u.k. government were blaming solely the protesters for the violence in the protest over tuition fees, they praised the police and how they handled the protest. then footage emerged of a disabled man being dragged out of his wheelchair at the demonstration.

here is the Home Secretary speaking about the protests, and she has nothing but praise for the way the police handled it.
news.bbc.co.uk...

so is this how it works? will there be statements condemning police violence? or do we just accept that protesters can be treated with no respect whilst any disrespect towards the police is met with outcry.

i understand the police have a difficult job, but that is no excuse, it does seem like the police do things that anger people, and once they stand up and defend themselves they are condemned for it.

is that the tactics being used? i am angry about this and those who at every turn condemn what the protesters did whilst turning a blind eye or excusing what the police did. what are you thoughts? should the police be condemned for their actions against the man in the wheelchair? and were protesters criminals or simply people trying to defend themselves and stand up to brutality?

sorry if this is in the wrong place, and i did a search but could not find anything on this.

edit on 13-12-2010 by lifeform11 because: typo

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Funny how that works
In Canada we caught the police dressed as protestors and STARTING the violence.
and this has happened in many places

Nothing says POWER like beating up cripples with impunity
it tells the public
See what kind of neanderthal retards we are
You can't argue with a sick mind with a pistole and a baton.
now pay up in tax dollars sheepie.
edit on 13-12-2010 by Danbones because: spellin

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
They are thinking of using water cannons on the protester now.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Wow that is horrible...

Funny that they think they can ban Protests, though..

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'd love to hear the police explain why it was necessary to drag a disabled person out of their chair in that situation. How can anyone ever justify that?!?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Doyle

He was obviously a danger to himself and others. I mean look how restless the crowd is getting and the guy has cerebral palsy. He obviously knows he shouldn't be out and about and the police were just helping him to safety.

/sarcasm off

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doyle
I'd love to hear the police explain why it was necessary to drag a disabled person out of their chair in that situation. How can anyone ever justify that?!?

exactly, it was not like he was going to run away, so the force they used was over the top and disgusting, and i am also finding it hard how they can justify it.

once the home secretary gets wind of this i am sure she will condemn the police for using such force, well maybe i am just living in dream land. it's funny that they can be so outraged over the actions of protesters but never see what actions spark that stuff off, well i am starting to think they can, but do not care, they will just do anything they can to condemn protests in general.

so while the police kick the hell out of everybody they love it, once they fight back, oh look at those evil protesters.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

The problem with the police upgrading their weapons is that the protester will do the same!

Petrol bomb alert, it gonna get biblical............

Peace.
ALs

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This clip is not being reported by the BBC yet, and until it is I doubt the Government will address the incident at all. Lets hope somebody picks this story up so that someone can be held accountable for what to me looks like the abuse of a highly vulnerable individual. The public at least needs a good explanation for what we saw.

If they wanted him out of the area I just can't see why they couldn't wheel him away? Was he having a fit and the batteries were dead in his chair maybe? That's the best legitimate answer I can come up with so far.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
You don't pull someone out of their wheelchair. WTF?

It's like a disturbing game show. Who Can Commit The Worst Atrocity! Staring: Uk Police. YAY!!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Doyle

i know the media are biased and do not report the truth, but on this occasion i must give sky news a point for at least showing and reporting on the footage, i would not of heard about it otherwise, instead it would of turned up here 3 months later once somebody found it on youtube.

the b.b.c. do all they can to avoid reporting anything that would go against the picture they are trying to paint, they are the worse where reporting the truth is concerned, there was a time when they were different, but they seem to of retracted a lot of things they did report back then with in the last decade and go inside their shell where anything that does not toe the governments line is concerned. i am pretty sure they need the governments go ahead before reporting on it.

that's why i go for sky over the b.b.c. every time, to find out what they are telling us is the news today. i believe i am more likely to find out more all bit be it not much better.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Yeah that was pretty much the point I was alluding to, you won't see word on this issue from one body without word from the other as well since the BBC and British governent are too closely connected these days.

A statement on the footage clearly needs to be made though, you can't have a video like that floating about with no explanation, it adds more fuel to the protester's fires, and surely the government wants to calm things down? They're discussing use of water cannons for the next protest so things just seem to be escalating.

They're probably now brainstorming how to best explain away the footage causing minimum public disapproval, but as I said already they will have to produce the mother of all slimy excuses to get out of this one.

new topics

top topics

join