It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

42,000 felons voting rights revoked in Florida!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
i think "Minority Report" says it all.

esther.

E_T

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
And if you think the rich people of the country don't basically own it anyway, you are seriously mistaken. I'd refer you to lobby groups. It doesn't matter who is elected to office, in which I mean democrat or republican, they will still be guided by the rich because they have the most influence.

Yeah, instead of serving your country and its citizens they're ruling you and serving todays Holy Trinity, "free" capitalism/market, globalisation and money.
This applies to pretty much every politician with much power in every country.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What if someone commits a crime and is sent up for 6 months on a felony charge. Maybe the guy is a wealthy banker who screwed up some numbers when dealing with the IRS and gets a lesson in Prison 101. Prior to this the guy has a family of 4, a loving wife and pays 6 figures in taxes annually. During his term in prison a major presidential election occurs. Should he not be allowed to aid in the decision as to how his life will be after he gets out of his 6 month term?

Now, imagine that hes a black democrat....

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ok, so if you are a suspected felon you can't vote? Where in the constitution does it say "If he is a suspected felon, he can not vote." I agree with felons, but suspected felons? I could be a suspect, anyone who has ever said anything bad/true about Bush is now a suspected felon, no democrat/independant can vote, he wins. Hey, I like that! When I run for president I will make everyone a suspected felon but me, then vote for me, and I will be president! Damn, if I had known it was this easy to steal an election I would have stolen 2000. Wait, Bush did steal it, nevermind.

Also, it is true. If you are John Smitty, and a John Smith committed a crime, you were banned from voting in Florida. Even if you are a black midget with three eyes and John Smith was an albino giant. If you were Devin Donald and a Devin Donald committed a felon in 1932, you were banned from voting. Unless you were a registered republican, then they gave you a chair to sit in while waiting in line, a tv, cable, beer, snacks, whatever until you were ready to vote. Also, in Florida, when the polls closed, they sent everyone home. This is wrong. If you are waiting in line to vote and the polls close you are suppose to be allowed to vote. But nope, in Florida you were sent home.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I reiterate that I feel that if the state is supporting you, for whatever reason, you shouldn't be able to vote to control how and how much the state gives you. That just doesn't make sense. This may sound inhumane when some of these people are physically disabled, or have some other "legitimate" incapacity. But they are still supported by the state.

Those that finance the state, i.e. tax payers, should control how the state spends their money via the vote.

I do not agree that "suspected felons" or felons that have served their time should not be allowed to vote, so long as they are tax paying; law abiding citizens and are no longer wards of the state.

If you want me make another step out onto the thin ice of people being responsible for themselves, I think it should be illegal for people on welfare or any other goverment dole to buy state sponsored lottery tickets. I think welfare recipients wasting their welfare check that is supposed to feed and clothe their family on lottery tickets is immoral and should be illegal.

"How can you police this?" You may ask? When the payout comes, do the quick check that is readily available, and if they are welfare recipients, they don't get the winnings. Instantly the ticket buying would stop voluntarily. Why would someone buy a ticket if they know they can't get the winnings.

Of course, only a rather feeble minded person with no mathmatics ability would ever buy a lottery ticket with any expectation of winning anyway. So I guess telling these people they won't win anything may actually not be enough incentive to stop them. If people buy lottery tickets with money they can afford to waste and that wasn't given them by the state, more power to them.

The probability of a particular person winning a big lottery payout is far less likely than the likelyhood they will die in a car accident tomorrow. But people still think they will win the lottery and not die on the way to work tomorrow...typical human ignorance.

[edit on 7-7-2004 by leiphasw]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by leiphasw
I reiterate that I feel that if the state is supporting you, for whatever reason, you shouldn't be able to vote to control how and how much the state gives you. That just doesn't make sense. This may sound inhumane when some of these people are physically disabled, or have some other "legitimate" incapacity. But they are still supported by the state.

How can you change the policies that are keeping you on welfare if you can't vote? Should your child get drafted if you had no say in the official who decides to send kids off to war?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
First of all, it has always been the law in Florida that convicted felons cannot vote. This has nothing to do with the last election or this one. It is NOT SUSPECTED felons it is CONVICTED felons. They in turn, after a certain time, after they have paid their debt to society, may petition to have their right to vote restored.

I can only speak for 2 states personally, but these 2 should open your eyes. The list is inaccurate in Florida - NEWS FLASH - mistakes happen. I for one can tell you in the state of NY there are people who have been dead for 5 years on the rolls, women listed under their maiden names and their married names, people who no longer live there - on the rolls! In most cases this is mere sloppiness by the Board of Elections with no one purposely doing it individually and most of them unaware. Voter registrations are a joke in this COUNTRY - again - not a Florida thing. (And this was going on while the Dems were in office too). It is just the way it is. In NY there is even no verification of whether or not you exist IRL or are a citizen. It's a joke. Fill out a piece of paper, they mail you a verification every few years, if no one actually says return to sender at the address it goes to, you are good. Worry about the discrepancies in NY and Florida becomes a non issue. (Cause then if you got it here and there, where is it valid?)

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

How can you change the policies that are keeping you on welfare if you can't vote? Should your child get drafted if you had no say in the official who decides to send kids off to war?

Ahhh! If there is a draft, everyone is eligible that is getting the protection the military provides. AND the one drafted COULD vote!

How is being eligible for the draft any different from paying a toll on a toll road? I don't have to pay the toll if I choose to take a different road. You don't have to be drafted if you choose to live in a country the military isn't protecting.

Explain to me how the policies you could affect by voting are "Keeping you on welfare"?

I have never opened the help wanted pages and found them just blank!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Okay, Florida has scrapped the list for various reasons:

start.earthlink.net...

Not the law, just the list that caused problems.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Originally posted by leiphasw

You win. You have just figured out the mechanism of the machine, it has been established for ages. the poor produce labor and soldiers, to be used at the whim of the wealthy.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Whatever happened to "no taxation without representation"? If an ex-felon is paying taxes, s/he should also be guaranteed a vote, IMHO.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join