It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

42,000 felons voting rights revoked in Florida!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Anyone see this on CNN today?

Florida has sent out 47,763 letters to felons in Florida stating that they can not vote in the upcoming election. CNN sued the state for the documents and so far have uncovered 2,100 errors (have just started going through them, finding one error after another they say).

One guy who was convisted of stealing a car (i think) in 1986 got his voting rights back shortly after and has been voting for many years now and it shocked to find he can't vote in this election.

The voters being banned from the election are something like 23% Black Democrats, 19% White Democrats and 16% Republican...

Thats not exact, just what I remember.

Heres a related link: www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't see a problem with felons not being allowed to vote.
Nor do I have a problem with welfare recipients and those on government aid not being allowed to vote.

However, once the felon is freed and the welfare recipient begins contributing to society by finding gainful employment, these rights should be restored.

Why should those who leech on the government have any say in how it is run?

[edit on 4-7-2004 by Hoosier Daddy]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The convicts in Florida despise the Bush- him and his brother. The treatment in Florida prisons is harsh- I have a friend who is down there now. He should not even be in. First strike was when he was 19= fleeded the scene of crashing his bike. Second was buying a stolen riding lawn mower. Third was walking into a neighbors house drunk (only incident). Because of the three strike rule- he is doing 10 yrs in the Florida system. He is now 43 yrs old- I recently sent him 35$ so he could buy an Am pocket radio (florida prisons sell them at that price).
No wonder why they do not want the felons voting.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSluvDroidFlorida has sent out 47,763 letters to felons in Florida stating that they can not vote in the upcoming election. CNN sued the state for the documents and so far have uncovered 2,100 errors (have just started going through them, finding one error after another they say).

A repeat of 2000?
There were a lot of persons there falsely accused of being felons.
Sometimes even the race and gender of the persons didn't match the records of persons they had listed as felons.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   

TextNor do I have a problem with welfare recipients and those on government aid not being allowed to vote.

Reading your post I imagine that women should not be allowed to vote and either minorities, Right?

I have not problem with felons not allowed to vote, but I imagine that this time not matter what bush tried to do he will lose Florida on the minority votes alone, after the fiasco on the last election all eyes will be on Florida.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The problem with this lists, is that Florida doesn't check them for accuracy, for a reason. Like in 2000, if one John Smith was a convicted felon, all John Smith's couldn't vote. It's a system designed to fail.

AF1

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
You would think bush would use a different state than Florida to use this time to manipulate the election.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

TextNor do I have a problem with welfare recipients and those on government aid not being allowed to vote.

Reading your post I imagine that women should not be allowed to vote and either minorities, Right?

I have not problem with felons not allowed to vote, but I imagine that this time not matter what bush tried to do he will lose Florida on the minority votes alone, after the fiasco on the last election all eyes will be on Florida.

marg why are you equating women and minorities with criminals and freeloaders?

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I agree w/Hoosier Daddy: Why should wards of the state have any say in how the state takes care of them? If they (wards of the state) want change, they can contribute to society and support the change. There are plenty of entitlement liberals who will vote for them to level the playing field.

This may sound harsh, but localizations with high welfare roles have no incentive to get people off the roles and into productive work if those on the roles can vote themselve more benefits from those that are working to support the system. My kids don't have equal votes about how my household is run. They can suggest all they want, but I, as the supporter of the family and my wife with whom I choose to share this privilege, ultimately make the decisions about how our family income is spent. My kids (and wife for that matter) can and do spend the money they earn anyway they wish.

I have felt this for a long time. It is nice to hear someone else voice the same opinion.

If you want to go really wacky, (though I think it may actually make sense,) perhaps we should sell votes somehow relating to your actual tax bill. The more you support the system, the more control you should have over how the money is spent. Naturally this could go too far and allow a few rich guys to effectively "buy" control of the country, but that would also mean they are paying lots of taxes which according to the liberal propaganda, these rich folks don't currently pay much of now anyway.

If rich guys pay lots of extra taxes to get the votes, then the people who currently pay the taxes wouldn't have to pay much...isn't this what everyone wants now anyway? Tax the rich? Maybe then I wouldn't be bombarded everyday by my political friends begging for money and most of the money spent on political ads would be saved.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy
I don't see a problem with felons not being allowed to vote.
Nor do I have a problem with welfare recipients and those on government aid not being allowed to vote.

However, once the felon is freed and the welfare recipient begins contributing to society by finding gainful employment, these rights should be restored.

Why should those who leech on the government have any say in how it is run?

even disabled who cant work, or retired elderly people? why? what you suggest is totally against the constitution.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Its all just a part of his plan to get back in.

A lot of blacks (who would have voted against him and made him lose the last election) were wrongly barred from voting last election.

I really cannot understand how a man can cheat his way into power of a "democracy"

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
All felons that are off of parole or probation for two years should have their voting rights restored in full. They ARE citizens of the country. Just because they made a mistake and sometimes did nothing at all which happens more than you might think, doesn't mean their vote should be taken away forever. It's not like the issue of gun rights, it's voting. Hell most of the time the people getting votes are bigger criminals than the felons.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
delete

[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Hoosier Daddy, I posted that comment because your references to welfare recipients, not to convicted of crime felons, it was like esther has said, with much eloquence, (and esther thanks for your post,) not everybody is as well off and such good health as obviously you are, see, maybe you should look around next time you make a comment on people lest fortunated than you, and thank god for your good fortune.

[edit on 4-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Hoosier Daddy, I posted that comment because your references to welfare recipients, not to convicted of crime felons, it was like esther has said, very eloquence and thanks esther for your post, not everybody is as well off and such good health as obviously you are, see maybe you should look around you next time you make a comment on people lest fortunated than you, and thank god for your good fortune.

marg, you got it wrong.
you assume too much.
I am not one of those who simply "read about" inner city life.
I grew up in the welfare system on the south side of Chicago.
Never had a father, dropped out of school, etc...etc.
At 16 I was arrested for a "felony" of riding around in a hot car.
I spent 6 hours in Cook County Jail, and that 6 hours was enough to cure me of ever wanting to go astride of the law again.
If someone is dumb enough to continue to commit crimes, I don't want them voting on my future.

Here is what I have gleaned by living among the "less fortunate" as bleeding hearts are so fond of calling them.
Most are lazy, good for nothing trash.
Content to stand on street corners begging quarters for the next bottle of Wild Irish Rose, or a 40 of Mad Dog.
They are verbally and physically abusive to their children, and turn into baby factories to increase their welfare check.

I have also worked in the political arena where I have traded a cheap bottle of whiskey for someone's vote.
As far as the felons go, most felonies are serious in nature and typically someone gets hurt or killed.
My sympathy is for the victim.

I am not well off, although all my children are college graduates.
It is called perserverence, and a desire to improve one's lot in life.
My original post stands.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hoosier Daddy, I have nothing against you personaly, just the comment did not sound it right, yes you have freeloader everywhere but also people that is in real need, I am glad that you made it in life and your children also.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
delete

[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I agree w/Hoosier Daddy: Why should wards of the state have any say in how the state takes care of them? If they (wards of the state) want change, they can contribute to society and support the change. There are plenty of entitlement liberals who will vote for them to level the playing field.

I think some of you are missing the point. This is a suspected felons list. A lot of these people have the legal right to vote. That's what its ridiculous what they are doing.

BTW, the example they used on CNN was a man who bought stolen property and then got his right to vote restored. He has been voting for 18 years and all of a sudden they are trying to deny his LEGAL right to vote by saying he is a SUSPECTED felon.

And if you think the rich people of the country don't basically own it anyway, you are seriously mistaken. I'd refer you to lobby groups. It doesn't matter who is elected to office, in which I mean democrat or republican, they will still be guided by the rich because they have the most influence. The poor are left to vote for the lesser of two evils.

For some reason, the election officials also don't believe it is their duty to check the accuracy of this list. SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE MADE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS LIST. I can just as well put together such a list, and then say its not my job to check how accurate it is. This is neglect and corruption plain and simple. Something needs to be done to start changing things NOW!

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Is this the same thing they did in 2000? One guy commited a crime and anyone with a similar name (mostly democrats) are taken off the voting rolls. Like joe Bloke felon, Joe Bloken who has never committed a crime loses voting right and has to fight to get them back of course to do that takes time and he is not able to vote in election. Thus one less democratic vote against the shrub.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I mean, what did you do to be suspected of having commited a felony, in the first place? Let's see, answer these questions with either a "yes" or a "no."

Are you poor? Are you a minority? Are you out of work? Are you living in multi-family zoned area? Are you a registered Democrat?

If you answered "yes" to any of the questions and you live in Florida, you are definitely a suspected felon.

You may not know it, hell you may not have even commited a crime; you don't need to have commited a felony to be a "suspected felon."

I suspect this is only the beginning of President Bush's triumphant re-conquest of the White House.

[edit on 4-7-2004 by BOHICA]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join