It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Tightens Security After Nationalist Riot Near Kremlin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Russia Tightens Security After Nationalist Riot Near Kremlin

www.voanews.com

Russian authorities closed Red Square and cordoned off the Kremlin after President Dmitry Medvedev warned race riots threaten "the stability of the state."

Hundreds of riot police, dressed in black helmets and bullet-proof vests closed off public squares and underground rail stations around the Kremlin late Monday. Russia's president sternly warned against a repeat of last weekend's nationalist violence.

Using the Russian word "pogrom," President Dmitry Medvedev warned Russians that incitement to ethnic or religious hatred could destabilize Russia, a multi-ethnic and multi-faith na
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Quite serious stuff... What is sad is that you see in Russia more and more of those extreme right wing nutjobs...

Also when homosexual have protests in Moscow to get rights, they get beaten up by the cops... Lots of immigrants in Russia get attacked out of nowhere by right wing groups for no reason...

Hopefully Russia doesn't fall to a right wing nutjob or it could turn into a Crimson Tide scenario...

www.voanews.com

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The news reports here in the UK puzzled me somewhat. The situation was played out as something like football hooligans rioting over a stabbing. But the word 'ethnic' popped up a couple of times & Medvedev's use of the word 'pogrom' also backs this up. Is this an anti--Islamic thing?
What's really going on?
edit on 13/12/10 by HelionPrime because: typo

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Quite serious stuff... What is sad is that you see in Russia more and more of those extreme right wing nutjobs...

Also when homosexual have protests in Moscow to get rights, they get beaten up by the cops... Lots of immigrants in Russia get attacked out of nowhere by right wing groups for no reason...

Hopefully Russia doesn't fall to a right wing nutjob or it could turn into a Crimson Tide scenario...

www.voanews.com

Your values are all upside down. Married people should have no more rights or privileges than unmarried people. Therefore state marriage, designed to assign rights to certain people that others don't have, is a bad thing, and therefore homosexual marriage licensed by the state is a bad thing. The state has no business intruding into people's personal relationships, yet homosexuals are clamoring for the government to do exactly that. Its ridiculous. I absolutely do not support gay marriage by the state and yet I'm not even close to the right wing.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

On Monday, Russians looked in shock at the images of last weekend's violence in downtown Moscow: hundreds of young men raising their right arms in stiff-armed Nazi salutes against the red brick walls of the Kremlin;

Good for Russia.

Open that can-o-whoopass and give em a Smack down.

edit on 13-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Hmmm...

A lot of riots going on lately.

Maybe people can take this as a sign of things that may come to pass in the future (democracies never seem to last).

And possibly be thankful for some of the small things in our daily lives.

Although I am not a fan of corporate fascism myself.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yep. Those right wing radical scumbags need their butts kicked. For once the thugs they call ``police`` could be used against the real scum... not those who want rights...

Pretty please?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
So, the Russian Nationalists are protesting to be racist? Doesn't that seem kind of weird to anybody else? It doesn't make sense to me. They don't like sharing the biggest country on Earth with people of different ethnicity? Or, is MSM spinning this to make the movement look like racist Nazis to stereotype them as evil to the world?

As far as I can tell it is true because Russian Nationalist are basically white supremacists flashing nazi flags and signs, but that can't be all they stand could it?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

This is true, It's hard to sometimes decipher what is truth and what isn't and how the media spins it as such.

GEX

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Media is doing a fine job in trying to spin it as race riots. Spartak soccer fan club meeting turned into a meeting against double standards in the justice system, government corruption, close ties between police (they changed name from militia to police) and gangs.

I don't want it to turn into a revolution or "pogrom", but the gov. needs to take notes if it wants to stay in power. Stop double standard practice, stop corruption, and obviously don't only change the name of militia to police, but stop cooperating with gangs.

The difference between this meeting and all other meetings is that, a lot more people attended it and a lot more people in the country support it.
Media and the gov. has nothing else to say but blame the racists, and label anyone who supports them a racist.

There is also a chance that it was done to strengthen the laws.

new topics

top topics

join