It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DETROIT: Expect Bankruptcy In 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Detroit has been bankrupt for years. It simply refuses to admit it. Detroit's schools are bankrupt as well. A mere 25% of students graduate from high school.

In a futile attempt to stave off the inevitable one last time, Mayor Bing's latest plan is to cutoff city services including road repairs, police patrols, street lights, and garbage collection in 20% of Detroit.

www.businessinsider.com...

WAsn't Detroit the shining city in US only 20 years ago???....

I expect 20 f-35 jets, at 150 million each, for Israel is a more important scheme to boost the American economy???

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

The biggest change over the last 20 years isn't the export of jobs overseas, but rather the monstrous growth of our government to absolutely fascist proportions. People just don't get it. Detroit is ground zero for government growth (perhaps 2nd only to Washington DC), and has been for a very long time.

The solution to unskilled labor being shipped overseas is to create skilled labor in the US. And contrary to popular belief, the skilled labor pool is practically unlimited in size because they are the labor pool that innovates new solutions and new efficiencies.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by civilchallenger

The biggest change over the last 20 years isn't the export of jobs overseas,

You sure?

GM TO INVEST 3 BILLION IN CHINA
www.chinadaily.com.cn...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Terrible news. I live in the Detroit area and the city is a shell of its former self. This city used to be a beacon of the middle class. And now its falling apart.

As Moe Szyslak put it: "Them people is living in Mad Max times."
Simpsons

I think the city will eventually pick itself back up but its going to take time.

Detroit has lost more than half its population in the last 5 years. That sudden loss will create a vacuum and eventually draw people back. But again this is going to take time.

Detroit was once a great city and it will regain that glory once again.

DETROIT ROCK CITY!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I live in detroit on 6 mile and VanDyke. It is a hell hole. At least 30% of the houses in the neighborhood are burnt down, and so the half-burnt houses have just been sitting there for years. It simply looks atrocious. Detroit has been going way down hill ever since the days of Coleman Young. However my prediction is that Detroit will make a full recovery in the next 10-15 years. Let's hope and pray.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

WAsn't Detroit the shining city in US only 20 years ago???....

ummmmmmm....

(*remembers being in Detroit in 1990*)

No.

Detroit hasn't been a "shining" city by any stretch for quite a lot longer than that. 1950s, perhaps. It's been a steady decline since then.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Yes, I'm entirely 100% sure. The money value of the jobs exported overseas is a TINY DROP IN THE BUCKET when you look at how much more big and powerful government gets year after year, decade after decade. And now its finally... FINALLY... killing the economy. Its amazing its taken so long really.

See: www.usgovernmentspending.com...

Everyone and their brother wants to bitch and moan about jobs getting exported overseas, while the super obvious problem... one that amounts to trillions and trillions of more dollars... is right in front of your face.

That $3 billion you are talking about for a GM investment in China is a basic rounding error for our US treasury department. $3 billion is nothing when you compare that to the financial disaster happening every day in the US federal government and other US governments. How can you focus on a $3B contract on GM when there was a recent $600 billion economic suicide oath (aka "QE2") by the US treasury department?
edit on 13-12-2010 by civilchallenger because: clarity

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Cut police patrols? It takes hours for the police to go to a call as it is! Basically the cops are just going to give up and go hang out at a bar while their patrol cars are looted.

Detroit is basically a dead city, I don't see it ever coming back to anything near what it once was. I think that it may become an agricultural area eventually.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The Detroit area has been in bad shape for decades now. I'm not sure what the point is in saving it. I hate to say it but the weather is horrible, it's in a bad location, the buildings are old, and it really has nothing unique about it.

History is full of cities that closed down when they were no longer needed. Look at the California gold rush - all those towns closed. It's sad but it's part of life.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
quite interesting that when canadian picks up on US city problems, thread gets only few flags, but some blurry UFO crap (not that i don't believe in UFOs, but some threads are ridiculous) gets tons of them...

S&F, my friend, S&F.

top topics

join