It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Probe Sees Solar Wind Decline En Route To Interstellar Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
this redifines the heliosphere dynamics yet again

PASADENA, Calif. -- The 33-year odyssey of NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft has reached a distant point at the edge of our solar system where there is no outward motion of solar wind.

Now hurtling toward interstellar space some 10.8 billion miles from the sun, Voyager 1 has crossed into an area where the velocity of the hot ionized gas, or plasma, emanating directly outward from the sun has slowed to zero. Scientists suspect the solar wind has been turned sideways by the pressure from the interstellar wind in the region between stars.

NASA LINK

im glad as we make new discoverys we have the chance to re evaluate our veiw of the local solar systems interaction with the larger universal medium

read link for details
this is big news

xploder
edit on 13-12-2010 by XPLodER because: add image

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
well then...would this constitute the theoretical 'membrane' that is thought to envelop each
Solar System and each Galaxy?

and further, could we say that these are cosmic 'cells' or 'organisms'?

this wall of plazma is actually keeping interstellar space from intruding into this cosmic cell...
rather than interstellar space pushing at the zero force of the Suns plazma energy

the ancient Hindu cosmology & view of the universe is being reinforced with all these new
discoveries by science

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Ok, why would Stellar or Solar WInds enter into interstellar or Intrasolar space? This seems kind of logical to me. Space is not empty. There are particles abound. The Solar wind will eventually loose velocity due to the friction of the particles.

Op, Im not knocking you at all, but rather the seeming sense of wonder that the article is trying to portray. Put a fan behind a bush and you wont feel hardly any of the wind it produces on the other side.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

i wounder if the implications of this discovery
are being considered here
our medium density is being generated from our sun and interacting with the universal medium density and at a distinct point the two mediums overlap

so is our sun producing an expanding medium density?
is the galaxy also producing a different medium density and is it expanding?

if our medium density is coming from the sun does that mean that our "three dimentional space" is a construct of the sun?

just a few questions to think about

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I think you are trying to hard here. Think about it like this. An oceanside beach. The point where the sand meets the water presents a pretty definite boundary...until you look closer. The water absorbs into the sand and doesn't really end at the point that it seems to. The water does extend further than you can visually tell. Does that mean the water makes the boundary, or the sand? The answer is nether and both. In fact, matter makes the boundary. moreso, the combination of the molecules that make up the matter make the boundary. It is in the way that the molecules are combined that determines the interaction between them. The same principal can be used in determining the solar boundaries.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

while i thank you for your veiw
i would describe the findings as a dynamic interaction with a distint boundry
and a change to the accepted models

this is why im excited
xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Isn't it still a boundary interaction? Aren't all non static boundaries dynamic in nature regardless of the size? What boundary model would have to be changed?

Edit to add: Please do not take above the wrong way. The first two questions were indeed rehtorical in nature but the last question was an honest one. That's why I SnF'd you

edit on 13-12-2010 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
this isnt a new discovery its just the furthest one of our spacecrafts have ever traveled.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

When I realized that we were getting solid zeroes, I was amazed," said Rob Decker, a Voyager Low-Energy Charged Particle Instrument co-investigator and senior staff scientist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md. "Here was Voyager, a spacecraft that has been a workhorse for 33 years, showing us something completely new again."

Scientists believe Voyager 1 has not crossed the heliosheath into interstellar space. Crossing into interstellar space would mean a sudden drop in the density of hot particles and an increase in the density of cold particles. Scientists are putting the data into their models of the heliosphere's structure and should be able to better estimate when Voyager 1 will reach interstellar space. Researchers currently estimate
Voyager 1 will cross that frontier in about four years.

"In science, there is nothing like a reality check to shake things up, and Voyager 1 provided that with hard facts," said Tom Krimigis, principal investigator on the Low-Energy Charged Particle Instrument, who is based at the Applied Physics Laboratory and the Academy of Athens, Greece. "Once again, we face the predicament of redoing our models."

the idea is that every boundry we cross we learn more and can apply them to a new model
this changes how i personally interperate the heliosphereical interaction with the larger universal medium

xploder

top topics

join