Vikings collapse own stadium for Farve?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Seriously, can we really expect that the Metrodome (which has been around for 20 something years) could not handle 17-20 inches of snow??? This is MINNESOTTA, not Atlanta. They should be expecting all this kind of snow. Is it just a coincindence that it collapses when Farve might not start???? I think not.

What do you think?
edit on 2010/12/13 by GradyPhilpott because: added question mark to title to make it more accurate

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I think the indian spirits have had enough of the Metrodome,collapsed the roof and rode off into a stormy winter sunset.

ps: its def. a horse.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by misfitofscience
I think the indian spirits have had enough of the Metrodome,collapsed the roof and rode off into a stormy winter sunset.

ps: its def. a horse.

What is a horse?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It couldn't possibly be a sped up version of someone running. I saw two legs, not four. But I'm just one blind mouse.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I've looked up some history on the Metrodome, and apparently this isn't the first time that the roof has collapsed due to snow. On the wikipedia entry alone, it states 2 or 3 previous instances of the teflon based roof collapsing. It is supported by nothing more than air pressure, and it's a rather thin material to begin with. So no, I don't think there is anything unusual about it this time.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
With the whole Favre-gate going on (see link below), and ESPN making excuses for Favre despite how awful he is playing, it is entirely possible that this could've been intentional. I'm not saying I agree with your theory but it is plausible. The NFL is now a business, a corporation and the idea of Favre continuing his streak until the season is over will help maintain drama and ratings no matter how much Favre sucks.

sports.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nwdogg1982

I read that as well, but the last time was TWENTY SEVEN years ago. I can't believe there is no one there in the area that would not have figured this out. Once again I'll say it. In MINNESOTTA, not the south. It's expected to get snow. Has there not been this much snow in MN for 27 years????

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I would bet my mortgage and life savings against this being anything but heavy snow ....

*Cue Twilight Zone theme* but having said this it turned a game no one was going to watch into something of an event. Detroit had to suspend ticket give away because of all the interest. It has been topic 1-2 all day on ESPN and the game against Da Bears on the 20th is big news too - where is going to be?? No way there was going to be this much interest and talk about these games anywhere - even in Minnesota

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

WOW! That is all I can muster right now, I am in shock. The short answer is NO.

The metrodome has collapsed 4 times in 28 years, so no I do not think this is an attempt to keep alive Farve's starts record. The clean up and fixing the roof is estimated in the 15+ million dollar range, that is a lot of green to keep an aging, now mediocre quarterback, on the field.

Is there any event that happens on this planet that you don't think is a conspiracy? Just curious.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The Vikings have been lobbying for a new stadium for years...even threatening to move their team to a new city. It would not surprise me if they "let" the roof collapse to gain some traction towards getting a newer and "safer" stadium.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Something I just read on Wikipedia (haven't taken any time to verify with other sources yet) concerning the maintenance of the roof and the company responsible for overseeing it.

Birdair had conducted a regular inspection of the Metrodome roof in April 2010. Its report to the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission stated that "the outer membrane is in good condition and still holding up well," and rated the inner liner's condition as "fair to poor".[21] The inspectors also noted that the inner liner of the roof was dirty (mostly due to emissions from automotive events) and had some holes in it, advising that the holes be monitored to avoid large tears from enlarging. In addition, Birdair noted some minor areas on the outer membrane that needed repairing, which were done by the time of the July report. Overall, Birdair noted the membrane was weathering as anticipated and had exceeded its service life of 20 years; it recommended planning for replacement of the roof fabric, and noted that planning and implementation would take an additional five years and cost $12-$15 million.[21] In forming their own conclusion, the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission staff decided that the outer membrane was in very good shape, that the roof continued to have serviceable life, and planned schedule another testing in four years; the Commission made no recommendations.

According to this, the Birdair company wanted to replace the roof as soon as possible, and the Metro Sports Commision decided that it was ok for another four years at least. If this is the case, then it seems very possible that something is amiss with this, so you may very well be on the right track. I'm not sure about the Brett Favre idea, though it's certainly possible. Seems to me like that Birdair company may have gotten ticked off about not being given the 12 to 15 million to replace it, so they let it drop.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
doesn't help the roof should have been replaced in 2002. Since it was only designed to last 20 years.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

What's next? The Jets paid their cheerleader into enticing Favre into sending her his d*** pics?

Plaxico Burress was shot, but by the man on the grassy knoll!

Micheal Vick was actually running a Doggy Day Spa!

not everything's a conspiracy........................................

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think this did have something to do with Favre. After all, look what they did to keep Ripken's streak alive. If they're going to do that for Ripken, yeah, this roof collapse is well within the realm of possibility then. Both events happened when the player in question was supposed to play. Both events bought time for that player. Both games were postponed.

Yeah, this was done on purpose. MLB and the NFL have HUGE pull in the United States, with the MLBPA having arguably the most powerful union in the U.S. The MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA are Father, Mother, Brother and Sister --all in the family, and family protects family.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

The Vikings aren't even the hot team!

Plus, Favre didn't start the other week so his streak is broken

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz
reply to post by OneNationUnder

The Vikings aren't even the hot team!

Plus, Favre didn't start the other week so his streak is broken

Actually, Favre played last week; however, the streak ends tonight.

DETROIT (AP) -- Brett Favre's record consecutive starts streak ended at 297 on Monday when he did not suit up for the Minnesota Vikings' game against the New York Giants.

The streak, dating back to 1992, ended because of a right shoulder injury on Minnesota first series Dec. 5 against Buffalo.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Did he just play for one down?

Either way, i can't see this happening JUST to keep his streak alive..

It's not bringing in ticket sales, especially when they are getting spanked every week

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
For one, he's inactive.

Second, the dome has collapsed 4 times from snow in its history.

Commission chairman Roy Terwilliger says it's the fourth roof collapse since the stadium opened nearly 30 years ago, all caused by heavy snow.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz
reply to post by Aggie Man

Did he just play for one down?

Either way, i can't see this happening JUST to keep his streak alive..

It's not bringing in ticket sales, especially when they are getting spanked every week

He played 3 downs I believe. I agree, the roof collapse is not a conspiracy to keep Favre's streak alive. However, it is no secret that the Vikings have been threatening to leave Minnesota if they do not get a new stadium. Looks like best argument just presented itself.

It's no secret the Vikings would like to play all their games in a new stadium in Minnesota, and one lawmaker said Monday a new stadium is now a public safety issue.

During an interview late last week on various legislative issues, House Speaker-designate Kurt Zellers talked about the likelihood of a Vikings stadium bill during the 2011 session. Zellers tried to downplay the urgency of replacing the Metrodome.

"You know, it's not as if the building will blow up after the season this year," Zellers said. "It's going to be there. I would hope we don't get into panic mode and then make a bad decision."

minnesota.publicradio.org...

Obviously, the Vikings didn't cause the blizzard; however, they probably could have done more to prevent the heavy build-up of snow on the dome. Once the roof becomes a public safety concern, then the likelihood of getting funds for a new stadium goes through the roof (pun intended). Now, that is the conspiracy...if there is one.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
all this over the hurtin my boys in Buffalo put on brett?
I don't think the two are related.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join