It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B2 Stealth Bomber Fly-Over At University Of Michigan 12/11/2010

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

I've never seen one in the sky before. So for me it was awesome. But I understand the chilling aspect as well. It was freaky and awesome at the same time.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah, I just read up a little on that.

As with most planes, the B-2's noisiest component is its engine system. But unlike a passenger jet or B-52, the B-2's engines are buried inside the plane. This helps muffle the noise. The efficient aerodynamic design helps keep the B-2 quiet as well, because the engines can operate at lower power settings.

The engine system also works to minimize the plane's infrared signature. Infrared sensors, including those on heat-seeking missiles, typically pick up on hot engine exhaust. In the B-2, all of the exhaust passes through cooling vents before flowing out of the rear ports. Putting the exhaust ports on the top of the plane further reduces the infrared signature, since enemy sensors would most likely scan below the plane.

www.howstuffworks.com...

Pretty sweet, if true

edit on 13-12-2010 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't mean to sound so condescending. It is very impressive technology, but I just can't shake the dreadful chills. It reminds me of militarized third world countries showing off their ICBM launchers and tanks in a parade, etc.

Only difference is third world countries haven't slaughtered a few million all across the world in the past 50 years alone. It's just creepy.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I have seen one before at an airshow and it is a spectacular sight, it does actually look like its from another planet and probably explains away many ufo sightings.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

You could look at it that way I suppose and I can sympathize to a certain extent. But all throughout human history many scientific breakthroughs were either directly or indirectly related to military projects.

Yes, Hiroshima and Nagasaki etc. Meanwhile the splitting of the Atom has saved a thousand fold as many lives with nuclear energy etc.

The B-2 and it's kind have many advanced forms of Technology that will someday become commonplace in civilian aviation, Everything from metallurgy [Lighter/Stronger] aircraft alloys and composites, manufacturing and production techniques, fuel conservation through the miniaturization of electronics which adds to fuel mileage savings etc.

Now if the US can only turn those very advanced swords into high-tech plows/consumer goods so we can compete with the rest of the world.

edit on 13-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I saw a B52 fly over at an Air Force football game once. It was so huge and loud, it really shook the place. Couldn't help but imagine what it might be like when the payload is released! The also do the F16 fly over that goes verticle over the stadium with after burners. Awe inspiring display, but really makes you think.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Did anyone else notice that for a plane that size and low altitude how relatively quieter it is when compared to an airliner of similar size and height would have been?

Yeah... they are quite an amazing piece of work. I saw one at the air show here a few years ago. for such a big plane it has a really small visual cross section. What I mean is that you don't really see it till it's overhead, the wings are so thin in comparison, you don't really notice it till then. Edge on, it's nearly invisible given it's real size (70 feet long, 172 feet wide and only 17 feet tall!) Add on top of that it's sound damping of the engines... it's weird as it comes towards you, quiet till it's overhead, and then loud and as it retreats it becomes almost silent and invisible again. It looks like a bird on radar and it almost as hard to notice visually and audibly.
edit on 13-12-2010 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Did anyone else notice that for a plane that size and low altitude how relatively quieter it is when compared to an airliner of similar size and height would have been?

That's becuase of the way the intake/exhaust is. Kind of cool actually, when they want to you won't see them coming...but man are they great to see just flying up there.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah, I just read up a little on that.

As with most planes, the B-2's noisiest component is its engine system. But unlike a passenger jet or B-52, the B-2's engines are buried inside the plane. This helps muffle the noise. The efficient aerodynamic design helps keep the B-2 quiet as well, because the engines can operate at lower power settings.

The engine system also works to minimize the plane's infrared signature. Infrared sensors, including those on heat-seeking missiles, typically pick up on hot engine exhaust. In the B-2, all of the exhaust passes through cooling vents before flowing out of the rear ports. Putting the exhaust ports on the top of the plane further reduces the infrared signature, since enemy sensors would most likely scan below the plane.

www.howstuffworks.com...

Pretty sweet, if true

edit on 13-12-2010 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

It is true.
The air gets sucked in the front down through the main body and comes out the top back. They have other stuff that reduces the heat when it comes out to further reduce the heat signature. The pilots I talked to say it gets l loud inside but I would imagine that's because of the engine placement.

<< 1   >>

join