It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacks by 'Anonymous' Not So, Well, Anonymous

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
reply to post by AdAbsurdum

I know exactly what brought this on. You seem to be going to a lot of trouble to miss the point. I use paypal. People like me were hurt by these actions. I am still waiting for you to explain how people such as myself struck first. If paypal was the only company to suffer from that attack on paypal, you would maybe have a point. Unfortunately the reality is that people like myself were hurt by the attack on paypal. According to the dictionary, this was a violent protest. You have presented 2 distinct half arguments and failed to support either. I hope you are not expecting me to go on for pages with you like this.

Could you please explain how you were hurt by PayPal's corporate page being offline for a day.
I run a website busier than ATS that uses PayPal and there was no harm done here.
Even if our ability to take money via PayPal was interrupted or removed, it would simply cause us to relocate to a different payment gateway - hopefully one with a little more integrity!

I'm so tired of hearing people on ATS on one hand rant about wanting to 'out' global conspiracy and on the other whine about some personal inconvenience when it actually starts happening.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

Could you please read my post again, all my posts. Then edit your questions and statements so that they actually apply to me. Otherwise, I am afraid I cannot really help you out here. You seem to be responding to a different post than the one you quoted. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
reply to post by AdAbsurdum

I have acted and will continue to do so, but not to the point where I am affecting an innocent person and their lively hood. Your definition of acting involves to many innocent people having to bear the brunt of the consequences instead of the people who deserve it. That is why we are picking apart each others arguments.

And Paypal? Really? The only time I have ever seen them deny someone their money is if they tried to rip off someone. I use Paypal everyday and never once had issue because I do honest business with honest customers.

You obviously don't do much web business if this is your opinion of PayPal.
Just one example: when a credit card fraud is perpetrated, PayPal returns the money to the card holders bank and then levies a $10 fee on the merchant for the privilege of being ripped off by the card thief.
As a merchant, you can complain of course, but if you want to do biz on the web with the majority of web traffic, you have to succumb to the monopoly of Visa. M/C and PP, and take it up the ass from time to time.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
reply to post by RogerT

Could you please read my post again, all my posts. Then edit your questions and statements so that they actually apply to me. Otherwise, I am afraid I cannot really help you out here. You seem to be responding to a different post than the one you quoted. Thanks!

I asked you to explain how you were hurt by the DDOS attack on PayPal's corporate home page?
You claimed that you were (and others)
What part of that is difficult to understand?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT

I asked you to explain how you were hurt by the DDOS attack on PayPal's corporate home page?

I know what you asked me. I do not recall saying that I was hurt and I am confused as to how you do not understand your backup plan does not help other people who do not employ it.

You claimed that you were (and others)
What part of that is difficult to understand?

All of it since I never made any such claim.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Uhh.. anonymous is full of morons..

They tried to DDoS my friends site, and failed. One of them sent him an email thru his contact form about his "huge botnet thats about to pwn his server" and his home IP was logged. Not very smart. He put up a text file as the home page listing every kids real IP and he started getting emails saying how SORRY they were. Anonymous = JOKE.

Not only that, they cannot pull off a Successful DDoS attack. They have no resources, or money, and all the "real" hackers left the site they sit on all day a long time ago.. They stood no chance against my friends server & they stand no chance against any of the biggest sites on the internet.

Actually I'm pretty sure they couldn't even take down my shared hosting sites
and my sites were makin them really mad, trust me on that one!

If paypal got owned by them then its a wakeup call - stop using gaypal - they screw people out of money on a daily basis anyway. (try selling legit products to have ur account locked for 6 months so they can make interest off you and 100000 others because some foreign broke people want to chargeback you)
edit on 31-12-2010 by christoph because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2010 by christoph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by christoph

Indeed

th3j35t3r.wordpress.com...

I like the picture, I bet the half blurred people do to.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
If worldwide armies of kids too young to be prosecuted took part in these anonymous attacks then even if they are traced, what can the authorities do? Ground them? LOL

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Fine them and send them to young offenders instituitons? and tbh 20 is a young kid so what age are you saying is young?

UK - www.statutelaw.gov.uk...
edit on 1-1-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
reply to post by Malcram

Fine them and send them to young offenders instituitons? and tbh 20 is a young kid so what age are you saying is young?

UK - www.statutelaw.gov.uk...
edit on 1-1-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

I don't think they could send a kid to a young offenders institution for taking part in a DOS protest. And "young" in the context of what I said would be whatever is too young to face prosecution.

Plus it would be a PR nightmare for them to do this to children.

I suspect the worst that would happen is the kids would be denied access to their PC for a while.

You can't really fine children and the parents would just say they had no idea the kid was doing this because they don't understand computers in the way their kid does.
edit on 1-1-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I would like to address the statements of "I don't care," and those who were affected by the DDoS.

If you're saying that you don't care, then you are assailing deaf ears with your cries. If the government decided all the schools would be closed and the parents peacefully protested, the kids would care, but the government nor parents would directly consider the childrens feelings.

This I believe is under the same issue. The anonymous group has spoken out, saying enough is enough. The government is trying to prosecute the anons to appease the victim companies and no one in this group gives a crap about the people truly affected.

I'm mainly referring to the PayPal incident. But if you think about it, anything that needs to be done to make a difference requires action. If your car was on fire, and you cared, you would try to save the car. If the car was on fire and you didn't care, you'd just jump out of the car.

When America became a country, the British parliament was a little mad. So we had to put up a fight to gain our freedom. In this case, the fight for good actually had to be fought. There are such things as collateral damage and civilian casualties. If you cared enough, you wouldn't complain. You'd either give everything you have at your disposal to help, or move on. To complain and do nothing is hypocritical, and to move companies is evading the issue at hand.

"If you really want to do something:You will find a way to do it. If you don't you will find a way not to."-Unknown.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

How young do you think the people doing this were? I think you are going a bit to far with that line of thinking. The people doing this are going to be old enough to be prosecuted and parents have a choice of weather to be fined? a choice to pay maybe.

"children" have already been arested for this and I see no PR nightmare from enforcing the law, DDOS is against teh law in most countries, the stupid sheep that followed blindly are most likely safe, the authorites will be going for the organisers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join