It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Getaway! Ukraine to open Chernobyl area to tourists in 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Great Getaway! Ukraine to open Chernobyl area to tourists in 2011

www.newsvine.com

KIEV — Want a better understanding of the world's worst nuclear disaster? Come tour the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.

Beginning next year, Ukraine plans to open up the sealed zone around the Chernobyl reactor to visitors who wish to learn more about the tragedy that occurred nearly a quarter of a century ago, the Emergency Situations Ministry said Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Well.. I guess with so much snow and cold weather, one may want to take a tram and tour ride with the Simpsons through a 'warmer' locale with built in heating and natural hot baths.. I am sure the whole family will enjoy this spot in the Sun.. Free hot dogs and coffee , come on down!

Like they say, 'Emergency Situations Ministry spokeswoman Yulia Yershova said experts are developing travel routes that will be both medically safe and informative for Ukrainians as well as foreign visitors. '

I am booking my ticket today!

www.newsvine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I am very into Urban Exploration- so this is a dream come true for me!!! I hope they don't clean all the debris and natural decay- that's the fascination of it all!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Medically Safe travel routes - that's no fun at all!

I want to experience it as nature intended in a full body gas tight radiation suit.

. . . and I would go there but unfortunately I have to fly which means TSA pat down.
edit on 12/13/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The red forest is still in an alarming deadly radioactive state. Won't see me travelling there.

VICE GUIDE TO CHERNOBYL:

www.dailymotion.com...

Same makers of all the VERY intriguing Vice Guides to North Korea, Liberia, Congo, COlombia.. etc

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Great!

I've always been fascinated by the place. esp when the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R shadow of Chernobyl came out for the PC.

Do a search on Flickr for Prypyat for some good imagery of the place,

also Google earth has been updated with 360 pics in Prypyat and at the power plant. Search Prypyat in Google earth,

that's the nearby town with the Ferris wheel and all that..the Power plant is half mile just a little south east from it.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TrentReznor

Love your music Trent!

NIN Rules!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
reply to post by TrentReznor

Love your music Trent!

NIN Rules!!!

Hey thanks! I try my best ;-P

Theres also Tones of documentaries on the disaster on youtube.... If you don't wanna go there you can still learn most things about it.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I would genuinely love to go exploring there, it's a beautiful place with a bizarre creepy atmosphere, more or less post-apocalyptic

But sadly I wouldnt risk it still

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valdestine
I would genuinely love to go exploring there, it's a beautiful place with a bizarre creepy atmosphere, more or less post-apocalyptic

But sadly I wouldnt risk it still

There's also an extremely significant amount of paranormal activity there. It is an abandoned city, after all, and the post-conscience that still exists there of the people of Chernobyl should be studied with easier access by international teams.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Maybe it's how they plan to pay for the repairs of the deteriorating sarcophagus. It was built with a life expectancy of 30 years in 1987 but was already showing signs of early degradation in 1999.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
This guy ATE food grown in Chernobyl cooked by some of the people that still live there.

He turned out just fine

Here he is eating it

Here he is getting tested afterwards

edit on 14-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join