It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police 'Kettling' Techniques Are Designed to Incite Violence

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Any chance you could provide proof of that? Maybe something in black and white from officers that designed these techniques? Or was that a personal opinion?

The proof is in the pudding as they say. That was simply an obvious observational conclusion. If you squash a lot of heated people into a small space and don't let anyone leave, then they get increasingly frustrated and want to get out even if it means taking on a line of coppers. Action=Reaction.

I've been to a lot of protests in Glasgow about various things. Some got very heated. The Glasgow coppers are experts in crowd control. They are used to it with the amount of Old Firm (Rangers vs Celtic) football matches they have to deal with. I also stay next to Hampden, the national stadium, so i see a lot of crowd control. I always have a lot of respect for how they handle large crowds, which is why this video shocks me.

I've only seen them use this Kettling technique once before, at a Scottish Cup quarter final where the police kettled in the losing fans to let the winning fans go, attempting to stop trouble. That ended in a full scale riot, with a lot of missiles thrown at police and a lot of damage to nearby houses and gardens with people trying to just get out and go home.

It seems to me when it's used it causes more trouble. It seems to me that troublemakers are easier to pick off if the crowd is moving and the non-violent protesters can get out of the way. If they are kettled then it turns everyone in that crowd into a potential violent protester, or at least makes it more difficult to differentiate between the two. So therefore the techniques causes violence.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Toronto G20

Queen and Spadina kettling:

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Same thing at Queens Park

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Hard to deny the practice.

edit on 14/12/10 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Its like they are playing chess with us.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Man that is some scary stuff right there. Intimidation is their weapon as much as the mace and batons are. With the kettling you always hear confusion. People trying to escape or being told to move on, but have nowhere to go. Its a technique that treats all protesters as threats and punishes them just fior being there. Punish the many because of the actions of a few. It seems to be the way everything works these days.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
A few years ago they were going to have a peaceful march through out town to protest police brutality. My neighbor is a cop and they were instructed to attack anybody that mask their face and gives them a hard time because out of town trouble makers were going to show up. The first 5 in line with mask on were jumped on amd hauled away and the march went on with no problems after that. In michigan it's against the law to wear a mask in public unless it's halloween night

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
reply to post by masqua

Its a technique that treats all protesters as threats and punishes them just fior being there.

At Queens Park, I'd say it was mostly protesters, but at the intersection of Queen and Spadina, it was a few protesters and lots of shoppers wjho just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time.

Did you know that a pre-WWII law was utilized for people caught up these cattle round-ups?

The Ontario government acted in haste and should never have passed the infamous G20 Regulation 233 without at least alerting the public, Premier Dalton McGuinty says.

McGuinty said his government used a law "that has now been brought into disrepute" and is prepared to make changes to that legislation.

www.torontosun.com...

More than 1,000 arrests were made during the G20, but the ombudsman said hundreds or thousands more people were detained without cause.

The 1939 Public Works Protection Act was originally passed to protect courthouses and other public buildings after Canada declared war on Germany. Updating it to give police extra powers during the G20 was probably a mistake, McGuinty admitted.

Read more: www.cbc.ca...

And did they EVER use it. Even the RCMP (Canada-wide police) and the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) didn't think much of the old law getting used, but Toronto and other small city police forces thought it was just ducky.

Being 'close' to the security fences meant being in the GTA, I guess.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join