It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pomegranate juice components that could stop cancer from spreading

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Most fruits and veggies have some sort of natural mechanisms for helping fight diseases, but they think pomegranate might be especially helpful. The stuff in the juice improves [in cultured cell tests] cell adhesion and helps stop migration, meaning even if the cells don't die from other treatments, whatever is in pomegranates makes it harder for them to break off and spread through the body. This is pretty good news, hopefully it goes somewhere. They've only tested it in cultured lab cells so far, but are planning to test it on people soon.

Researchers at the University of California, Riverside have identified components in pomegranate juice that both inhibit the movement of cancer cells and weaken their attraction to a chemical signal that promotes the metastasis of prostate cancer to the bone. The research could lead to new therapies for preventing cancer metastasis.

The Martins-Green lab applied pomegranate juice on laboratory-cultured prostate cancer cells that were resistant to testosterone (the more resistant a cancer cell is to testosterone, the more prone it is to metastasizing). The researchers – Martins-Green, graduate student Lei Wang and undergraduate students Andre Alcon and Jeffrey Ho – found that the pomegranate juice-treated tumor cells that had not died with the treatment showed increased cell adhesion (meaning fewer cells breaking away) and decreased cell migration.

"We show that pomegranate juice markedly inhibits the function of this protein, and thus this juice has the potential of preventing metastasis of the prostate cancer cells to the bone," Martins-Green said.

Link to full story on PhysOrg

Stuff like this hits close to home for me having a grandmother who survived breast cancer but later died because it spread to be lung cancer and the doctors hadn't caught it in time, they thought she just had bronchitis. I have a healthy diet of lots of fruits and veggies, grow most of my own food without pesticides and such, avoid processed foods and anything GMO, which probably means nothing because I badly need to quit smoking. But like Mark Twain said, "Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times." So until then...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
fantastic find my good man
I love that fruit and now i have an excuse to enjoy even more of it ! Damn this cancer its pesky like gravity . So many people suffer and die from it and nothing in the MSM to fix it . Just keep funding them for more trail and errors on "treatments" that cause more damage then good. When will this madness end! Where are you cure for cancer! I suspect the cure for cancer requires a total reform of how we live eat sleep etc

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

I agree, while there might be some potential cures or things found to help cancer stop spreading, I think the true answer doesn't lay in one area. I don't think there will be some magic cure. We do need to reform a lot of things. Carcinogens are everywhere we turn, even if you don't smoke or do something to directly intake carcinogens. There's no way to eliminate these things when they flow freely in our water, air, food, medicines we take, products we use, paper we touch, appliances, pesticides that farmers or anyone sprays, what doesn't cause cancer, right?

But then, my tinfoil hat inclinations tell me that GMO foods and processed foods, water and medicines, etc, all of that, is all part of some greater conspiracy of population control.

Regardless, cancer is a horrible thing that I've personally watched three people die from it in my short lifetime. By personally I mean, at their bedside until the very end. Of course, I've generally known many more who have died from it or had it, but witnessing the whole course until the end, that's a hard thing to do. Hopefully this pomegranate research goes somewhere substantial. A natural way of stopping cell migration could be a wonderful thing to give people more time.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The mainstream medical community is finally catching up, I have known about the benefits of Pomegranate juice for years, there has been supplements in health food stores for a long time now.

I am sure big Pharma will find a way to make money from this, they are trying hard now to get all supplements and vitamins banned so you have to get prescriptions in order to take them. They haven't succeeded so far thank goodness for that.

In the case of Pomegranate they certainly can't stop you from buying them.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
always thought this one, along with various bean soups were pretty interesting

A substance found in breast milk can kill cancer cells, reveal studies carried out by researchers at Lund University and the University of Gothenburg, Sweden.. which has given rise to hopes that it can be developed into medication for cancer care in the future. www.sciencedaily.com...

edit on 13-12-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join