It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which do you use: Windows,Linux or Mac.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I was wondering what flavor OS you use and why.

Me personally, i use Linux. Slackware is my favorite but i have Ultimate Edition 2.8 also.(Ubuntu flavor) I had my share of Windows. The last one i used was XP Pro. Linux was a bit of a challenge for me in the beginning. For a first timer, Slackware was not the easiest to install at that time. I got so aggravated with the terminal and commands i almost gave up and went back to Bill. I forced myself to learn and im glad i did. Slackware 8.1 was hell.
My reasons for taking Linux over Windows is simple:

1) There’s far less risk for viruses and malware.
2) It’s free.
3) It's open source
4) Applications are free.
5) It’s far more flexible.
6) It has multiple routes for support.
7) It is improving at a far faster rate than Windows.
8) Bugs and security holes are patched much quicker.
9) Boot up is super fast compared to Windows.

Why i take Linux over a Mac? Refer back to 2,3,4. I know Mac's have "some" open source software.

I do run XP Pro in VBox at times in order for my Kids to play certain Games. I have Wine and PlayOnLinux(based off of Wine) installed. For anyone that don't know, they are Windows emulators. Unfortunately they wont run everything as of yet.

Thats part of the reasons why i like Linux.I am in no way saying its better. It's what i prefer and why i prefer it.

How about you?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I'm a Windows user, have XP and Windows 7 at home on my two PCs. I do have Ubunto on a small PC I was using as a web server for my brother's band.

I did have my main PC dual booting with Ubunto and XP before I installed Windows 7 on it, but the Ubunto partition went when I upgraded due to hard disk space issues.

I do love the gui things that Linux has, Beryl and such with the wobbly windows and the cube desktop, but I dont' like how difficult it is to install a graphics driver, or sound drivers. I much prefer the ease of use of Windows.
I did skip Vista totally though

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I had my fill of Microsoft years ago, and will never go back to that non secure, blue screen prone, constant updating POS operating system ever.
Been a Linux man for many years now, Fedora is my choice OS, fast and stable, secure and always the same. Want to test your OS and Browser for security?
privacy.net...

Your Browser Type and Operating System:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101209 Fedora/3.6.13-1.fc14 Firefox/3.6.13

All information sent by your web browser when requesting this web page:

Connection: keep-alive Keep-Alive: 115 Content-Length: 676 Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8 Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7 Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5 Cookie: bhCookieSaveSess=1; bhCookieSess=1; Privacy.net_Last_Visit=12/13/2010; Privacy.net=Privacy+Analysis; bhawkplt=plt_state=tested&plt_stm=1292252713817&plt_url=null Host: analyze.privacy.net Referer: analyze.privacy.net...://privacy.net/analyze-your-internet-connection/ User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101209 Fedora/3.6.13-1.fc14 Firefox/3.6.13

Firewall Test

The following ports were checked: 16771, 80
Out of the above ports, the following are open and permitting outbound traffic: 16771,80
Firewall status: PRESENT

The closest the page can track me is to Virginia, and I do not live in that State. When I am using my Autoproxy, it shows me in China.
Try that on a windows computer, you will be shocked at what your computer shows.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I had my fill of Microsoft years ago, and will never go back to that non secure, blue screen prone, constant updating POS operating system ever.
Been a Linux man for many years now, Fedora is my choice OS, fast and stable, secure and always the same. Want to test your OS and Browser for security?
privacy.net...

Your Browser Type and Operating System:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101209 Fedora/3.6.13-1.fc14 Firefox/3.6.13

All information sent by your web browser when requesting this web page:

Connection: keep-alive Keep-Alive: 115 Content-Length: 676 Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8 Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7 Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5 Cookie: bhCookieSaveSess=1; bhCookieSess=1; Privacy.net_Last_Visit=12/13/2010; Privacy.net=Privacy+Analysis; bhawkplt=plt_state=tested&plt_stm=1292252713817&plt_url=null Host: analyze.privacy.net Referer: analyze.privacy.net...://privacy.net/analyze-your-internet-connection/ User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101209 Fedora/3.6.13-1.fc14 Firefox/3.6.13

Firewall Test

The following ports were checked: 16771, 80
Out of the above ports, the following are open and permitting outbound traffic: 16771,80
Firewall status: PRESENT

The closest the page can track me is to Virginia, and I do not live in that State. When I am using my Autoproxy, it shows me in China.
Try that on a windows computer, you will be shocked at what your computer shows.

Sounds cool for sure.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Linux.. Ubuntu.. on this netbook. We have linux of different flavors for different things on other computers in the house. The kids use one computer with windows for some school things.. but they even prefer linux!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Oh we're outting our proxies too?? LOL! I use TOR. I disable it to come here of course.

www.torproject.org...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

You Are Visiting From: **.**.**.** is from United Kingdom(UK) in Western Europe

Wow it managed to pin me down to within 94,525 square miles

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Windows. Only 'cause the PC I'm on has it. It's not mine and I can't change it.

top topics

join