It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-12-10 Solar Storm Inbound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Credit goes to CHEDwick for the article. Looks like we'll see how bad this really gets.

Good luck to whoever it effects, stay safe.

solar storm
edit on 13-12-2010 by Khaaaaaan!! because: meh

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread ?... Look Here First.
edit on Mon Dec 13 2010 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Khaaaaaan!!

This would explain the cell phone outages...

Hopefully, there will be minimal damage overall.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Thanks for this post!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
well its about 9 am tuesday here, nothing odd yesterday or today except for my dogs being maniacs.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LunchBocks

Well my internet provider is down since this morning , and they are supposed to fix the issue by the end of the day . No idea if this is related or not

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Well World of Warcraft has been down..
That's worse than 2012 for my kids..

Yes, I think it's funny..Anyone would think they'd been tortured the way they carry on..

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

Doubt it, unless it's a satellite ISP.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I saw this article this morning and it's now 2pm uk time.. So I guess it's nothing to worry about..

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Sorry but there is nothing even worth mentioning heading our way.

NOAA has a warning for a K4 event, which is pretty low.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Spaceweather.com says that none of the 3 eruptions will hit Earth...

A preliminary analysis suggests that none of the CMEs will be geoeffective. The expanding clouds should miss our planet.

spaceweather/

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReinkDuser
reply to post by Thill

Doubt it, unless it's a satellite ISP.

Yep exactly what I was thinking , but didn't know how they had their main hubs equipped . If they received the signal though a satellite and into the cables or only cable wise all the way.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
You know, i can't help but think the world is missing a trick with these Solar storms.

Everyone goes on about the doom and gloom aspects of such a powerful storm, but i've yet to read any potential positives, unless you count pretty lights in the sky as a positive.

Why don't we engineer a way to make use of the enormous amounts of energy that will be delivered to us?

If we used conductors and banks of massive capacitors and shunts, we could actually tap and store the energy that will otherwise be wasted.

If we did this, i'd imagine we could tap gigawatt's or even terrawatts of the stuff!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Im suprised that alot of people on ATS, especialy people who frequent the space exploration threads, do not use or even mention Zooniverse. More precisely the Solar Storm Watch project. Looking at and recording CME from the stereo spacecrafts. Some of the footage is near real time and it tells you if you have spotted an earth bound solar flare. I recomend that you all take a look at this if you are interested.
I think that all the zoonivers projects are worth looking at if you have the slightest interest in space and how it is formed.
Check it out and get spotting!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I agree..we should be concentrating on a way to tap into all that lost energy.
I cant even begin to fathom a way to do it, but none the less think it would be great to explore the possibilities of tapping into a massive energy flux

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
KABOOM !!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c8c0e6ddbc48.jpg[/atsimg]

Pretty impressive fireworks though...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Thanks, it's Monday night where I am (EST) and nothing bad happened... except the wind has been HORRID for the last couple of days. (And I don't mean solar-- this was right in my backyard, tho it could have been related)

Interesting to not that the date on the article's newspaper was "Tuesday 14 December 2010" yet it spoke of something possible for the previous day? Day late and a dollar short, they were (or $20 if you count inflation.)

Glad all is well, just the same!

Edit: The article itself has this timestamp: 7:00AM GMT 13 Dec 2010
The Solar flare(s) were due in at 7:32AM according to the article. So, my bad... they did give 2 minutes to 'run for cover!'
edit on 12/13/2010 by new_here because: Edit: noted

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Yeah that's a goodun 3 CME's, very impressive.

None are earth directed though, all good

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Thanks Khaaaaaan!!

I thought it was a pretty cool show, even if it's not the power grid assassin from 2012.
Did anyone notice ALL the soho cams went down for CCD right after this one?
Also of interest to me was the Geminid meteor shower, which seemed to show itself with some white lines just prior to the CME. I will post the movie once I figure out how to.

Thanks again Kahn!

top topics

join