It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future Fight For The Moon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by LiveForever8

You are referring to treaties that pre-date current International Trade and Corporate Law, and which arguably are now obsolete. As in replaced.

...VERY important consideration.

Are they obsolete though? I don't think they are. The Outer Space Treaty represents the basic legal framework of International Space Law, which is completely separate from International Law. That is my understanding of the situation.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

The Outer Space Treaty represents the basic legal framework of International Space Law, which is completely separate from International Law. That is my understanding of the situation.

I don't know for sure that International Space Law is separate - but in any event, am certain that there exists a clear legal basis for arguing the case.

Also in any event, it's likely a moot point; several global corporations have the wherewithal to "explore" space (read: mine asteroids); but NO nations have the money any longer, particularly after the industry bail-outs.

Most likely, the public will be told there is a "space race" to justify funnelling even more of our tax dollars and legacy into corporate coffers.

...In fact, looks like the publicity campaign already started.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Yeah, I agree with you about the ambiguity of it all. It took them long enough to decide what the legal definition of 'outer space' was, I still don't think everyone agrees, and I can definitely see such ambiguity being taken advantage of by unscrupulous corporations.

Another point worth considering is how exactly would one 'police' outer space? Corporations could be getting up to all sorts out there without anyone being any the wiser, so like you say, it could be a moot point. After all, in space...nobody can hear you scream

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Another point worth considering is how exactly would one 'police' outer space? Corporations could be getting up to all sorts out there without anyone being any the wiser... After all, in space...nobody can hear you scream

Very important point to consider.

Even people who work for corporations on earth have no real rights - it's my way or the highway. And when they're transferred from their nation of birth, they have even less "rights."

Check out how Pakistani workers are treated in Dubai. (Just one small example.)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Of all the issues with the Obama administration, this one is my biggest.

Derailing the renewal of our Moon program was an epic miscalculation. They replaced it with the idea that we would go to the asteroid belt. Asteroids are all good and well. They contain large amounts of precious and rare metals and gases that we could make use of, largely for profit. I feel that connecting profit with it, however, makes this a mission for the private sector.

Our government should be looking at developing a base of operations on the Moon and securing Helium 3 for the potential of cheaper and cleaner power production, as a service to our nations future stability.

There are other critical uses for Helium 3 as well. It is widely used in highly sensitive scientific measurement devices and Industrial devices as well.

Literally days after Obama's decision to issue new orders to NASA, congress was informed that we must ration supplies of Helium 3 because it is in short supply.

It is gathered here, on Earth, from the decay of radioactive fuels used in the creation of Nuclear weapons. As we reduce stock piles, this side benefit is reduced as well.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx

Of all the issues with the Obama administration, this one is my biggest.

Derailing the renewal of our Moon program was an epic miscalculation. They replaced it with the idea that we would go to the asteroid belt. Asteroids are all good and well. They contain large amounts of precious and rare metals and gases that we could make use of, largely for profit. I feel that connecting profit with it, however, makes this a mission for the private sector.

Our government should be looking at developing a base of operations on the Moon

NO. Bush gave the orders that gutted NASA.

The "strategy" to develop asteroids as a jumping off point to get to the moon also was presented during Bush' tenure.

Also LiveForever* - need to make another point - re: unscrupulous corporations.

The LAW mandates that corporations put profits before people; if they don't, they're breaking the law.

So it's not corporations that are "unscrupulous" - it's the law.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think it is simple.
if you can land on the moon.
then build a home and stay for 5 years.
you can claim a limited part of the moon.
and if you are some one in your name stays there,
after the 5 years.
if no one is there for the space of 1 year,
after the first 5 years.
you lose the land.

so if you make a home.
you can keep the land.
big companys should not be abule to make claims.
or country.

a little like when america was first settled.
oh! and you get to kill any and all aliens you find.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

No, that's incorrect. Bush proposed the return to the Moon, Obama's Administration ended it.
One link for the story of many. Obama also announced the idea for a new mission to land a human on an asteroid.

More recently Congress has issued an order for NASA to ignore Obama's orders and go back to the Moon. I, admittedly, did not stay on top of that story and I am not where it stands at this moment.

edit on 13-12-2010 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx

No, that's incorrect. Bush proposed the return to the Moon, Obama's Administration ended it.
One link for the story of many. Obama also announced the idea for a new mission to land a human on an asteroid.

Okay, sorry - and thanks for being so polite in the face of my ignorance.

...I was monitoring space stuff closely for a long time - but stopped.

Check this out:

Sex in Outer Space[

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by XISTRA118

Not trying to sound rediculous or anything... but what if something else already considers that it owns the moon? Other than us on Earth. We've already proven on Earth that we feel that if we can TAKE it... it's ours. Whether it be for mining or living what if we're considered to be tresspassing? We already launched a missle onto the surface. What's next?
edit on 13-12-2010 by PsychNurse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
When the world super powers begin to lay claim to the moon, thats when you realise that there is something valuable up there.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
My answer would be no-one owns the moon just like no-one owns the earth. Sure, some people might believe they own a plot of land here by exchanging bits of paper for the Title to the land. In reality that is nothing more than a concept. You can never really own anything, apart from maybe your soul/spirit, but even then it probably belongs to a consciousness far wider reaching than our own. We are merely stewards of that which we come into contact with during our time here in three-dimensional reality.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

"The Outer Space Treaty provides a legal framework for the international use of space for peaceful purposes... "

Well isn't this just a fine howdy-doodie? International use of space for PEACEFUL purposes only. However, here on Earth... "Kill 'em all" seems to be the framework. Give me a break. I wish those war-mongering lunatics WOULD go way out into outer space and have their wars, and leave this populated globe in peace!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Nobody owns the moon just as nobody owns the Sun or the stars.

Mind you, the government does own Uranus

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

who does own the moon?

The moon "belongs" to whomever succesfully asserts control over her. The same is true of terrestrial estates, by they real, or otherwise.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Lordbucket.

Yeah , I suppose the nation with the biggest stick will lay claim to the moon?

Wonder if ET will charge them rent

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
according to some information from project camelot, U.S. landed on the moon in 1953, Russian and Americans landed on Mars in 1956. The rest of NASA was based on funneling money for something that was already accomplished.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Why is it that we want to own stuff?

Money money money!

This guy doesn't own the moon anymore than we own the earth.
We're just visitor and that moon will be there long after he dies and all the paperwork has been burnt to the ground.

People and their greed. It's because of a**hole like that that people are dying from hunger or thirst. And these guys are doing to us. Shipping the water away. Transforming food, putting poison in everything.

It gets me mad to hear stuff like that.

Soon you're gonna have to pay him every time you look at it...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
good question..... lol i have no idea who owns the moon. i know this is probly a stupid question, but whats the name of are moon? i mean lots of planets have moons and they all have names. so whats the name of ares?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join