It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daytime stars??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I am seeking the knowledge of those more in the know and appologise in advance if i am been completely uneducated or even dumb for use of a better word.

Today, 13th Dec at about 11am local time ( York,UK ) I happened to notice in what is a almost clear bright blue sky, a "daytime star". This star was bright and even visable behind the high light clouds that occasionally passed infront.
I just happened upon seeing it in the SW sky at about 30-35 degree elevation.
Now i am probably going to be told that this is a regular thing and why all the fuss! but for me i have never seen this not at this time of day and not such brightness. This lasted for approx 15-20 mins
So...
Is it a star burning bright in the daytime sky?
Is it a geo-stationary sattelite ? ( I did check sattelite tracking on spaceweather.com )
Is it a brief showing of planet Venus or other?
And finally why did it appear for only 20 mins?

I will be honest now and my initiall reaction was of excitement as i was truly hoping for my first UFO sighting who knows maybe a mother ship in high atmosphere lit up briefly by the morning sun. I did attempt to view it through my 70mm telescope but was unable to focus on it! and as for pictures ( now your not gonna like this ) but i could not find any batteries for my 10meg pic camera

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Venus is sometimes visible during the daytime, as is the ISS.

Try using stellarium.org... to track where Venus was at the time of your sighting, since you've got a fairly good idea of it's location in the sky it should be easy to work out.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I was also thinking Venus
but at 11 A.M and only for 20 - 30 minutes?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Excellent thanks!
Have just downloaded stellarium and having a play ! does show some sattelites but they not stationary ones and not quite the right location! Also checked ISS tracker and should be nearer you in Australia at the moment.
Does not show Venus in the said location but i will keep having a play with this handy tool thanks again.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Well it's possible.

Best to rule out the mundane explanations first.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Can't agree with that
..More!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Ok i take my last back ! I think it was Venus ! the stellarium tool is excellent and yes Venus was in the said area at said time!
Thanks for helping me out with this one now case closed!!

Altough any answer as to why it only showed for a short period of time??

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Exforcesuk

Altough any answer as to why it only showed for a short period of time??

Could be as simple as a bit of cloud moving out from in front of the sun and making the sky just that little bit brighter and making it harder to see.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Elevation is not quite 30-35 degrees, but close enough. I'm surprised you could see Venus this late in the morning, but I guess it's not impossible. Sorry, can't embed the image without half of it getting cropped.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by HelionPrime

Thanks

It was a rough guess regarding 30-35 degrees but not too far off!
Am certain now though that this was Venus and is no less disapointing to find this out. I suppose that all required factors to see Venus in the daytime came into play and can safely say i feel honoured to have seen such a bright visuall display of this planet even though briefly!
Will be out tonight to watch for metiors as we pass through the Gemenid shower fully equipped with stellarium and some new batteries for my camera.

top topics

join