It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormons Have World's Largest Database on Human Race: Why?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
mormons are funny... check out this video

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I find this very creepy. Also, I had no idea that ancestry.com was run by the LDS. Wow, you learn something new every day.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

For the mentally challanged:

1. I am not a member I was once many years ago. I am not under any illusions influence or control by them that is a ridiculous and absurd statement designed to avoid any meaningful conversation as are most of your statements. I know more about the church it origins and history etc. then the vast majority of it members leadership included. Which is one of many reasons I do not subscribe to it anymore. However I have nothing against them they are free to do as they please as long as they are not harming anyone and most of them are good people doing what they believe is right just like the rest of us.

2. They got the records by people doing research and gathering it around the world from public records available to anyone willing to do the leg work! They don't need any authority and they have made it available to anyone who wishes and much easier now for people to research their genealogy. There is no conspiracy here give it up before you look even more ridiculous then you already have...

3. If you were not interested in why they do this as you have now stated then why did you post this thread asking about it? The only other possible reason is to bash and ridicule them which is now obvious by your reactions and trolling. Thanks for revealing yourself so people now know not to waste any further time with you.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Sounds like someone wants to accuse me of bashing because they don't want to explore the dark side and ask questions. Sounds like ex-members have a hard time with personally examining their own cult.
reply to post by Alethea

How about a current member? I've examined my "own cult" and joined it freely. I have never been made to feel bad about asking questions. I've never been coersed to do or say anything for or about the Church. I've been a member for over 30 years, and have experienced pretty much everything. What dark side are ou referring to?

Sounds like you are bent and determined to deflect my questions by making statements that appear to be a cult control tactic. No questions allowed! Obey!

What on earth are you talking about? Nobody is deflecting your questions. You just aren't reading the answers given unless the answer seems to match your conception.
You do not consider deception and ulterior motive to be "harmful"?
What deception and ulterior motive are you referring to? There isn't one, despite your insistence there is.

You are really squealing, aren't you? Is this subject making you squirm? It appears so. And still, you are insisting that dead uncle Joe is capable of making baptismal decisions after his demise and departure. Cognitive dissonance, much?

The belief in an afterlife is pretty much shared by the Christian world, even in some non-Christian religions. We believe you are still you when you get there. Dear Dead Uncle Joe can decide there if the baptism is wanted or not. He can make the decision for himself. It's not up to you, it's up to him. If you don't believe in an afterlife, why does this bother you? The subject isn't making me squirm, and I'm not squealing. But, yes, I believe you are able to still think after you are gone. Why does that make you so angry? A lot of people believe this that aren't LDS. Do you dislike them, too?

It may appear benevolent on the surface, but many of us have been deceived by religious conjectures enough to know that there is more than what we are being told. Italics added

Oh, now I see. You have issues with religion. Well, like it or not many LDS people do not. The same applies to all religions everywhere, though. Because you feel you have been burnt, you think others are in the same fire? Wrong.
There is no ulterior motive. The real intent is to find our ancestors. It's an open system allowing anyone access to all the records. Your name will most likely not be included, ever. If it does, since you apparently do not believe you exist after you die, why worry about it? You won't care. Do you also fret about things that don't matter to you? Odd way to run your life.

QUESTION:
If you find any of your relatives in this data-base, does that mean they have been involuntarily baptized into the Mormon religion after they died?

ANSWER:
No.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

The video has made the rounds, but most Mormons really don't seem to know much about the details of their religion. You might share some of the strange things their presidents have said with the young missionaries who come to your door, but often the first thing you get from them is disbelief. As many know who may have had conversations with these folks, they have extremely limited training before they go out in the field, and are in fact unprepared for anything too off the beaten path.

Fortunately for them, 99% of the people they encounter are even more ignorant than they are, as improbable as that should be. Of course, if you should be the odd bird who brings up things off their list, they are instructed to tell you that they will look up your question, and come back with an answer. Depending on what the issue is, you may never see them again.

Occasionally, if you are looking for "entertainment" (forgive me), you can two-step them. You can leave them with something they should be able to handle, and they may be back, in some cases they may even bring help from a more senior member. Then you can lower the boom. Frankly, I haven't done it in a long time, but that's mostly because I live in the country now.

On topic, specifically, I'm not surprised to see some of the Mormon responses to this thread, considering they are kept in the dark for the most part. They're often not allowed to know many things their presidents have said, and are often just as surprised as anyone else might be, hearing about strange things for the first time.

SO, I can totally see how some would be outraged by the insinuation that there is something rotten in Utah when it came to genealogy, which most must surely consider among the most harmless of their bizarre pursuits.

JR

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

In reference to the video, it would seem the basic premises are there. When it's put bluntly, it appears to be satire, much like Bill Maher's movie "Religiolous" exposes the amusing doctrines of various protestant religions.

There is one thing I did find very ominous. It mentions that a character named Moroni was the last living Nephite and he was the one who buried the gold tablets that were found by Joseph Smith. The film also says that these gold tablets were buried in the Hill Camorra.

The Camorra is a Mafia-type criminal organization, or secret society, originating in the region of Campania and its capital Naples in Italy. It finances itself through drug trafficking/distribution, cigarette smuggling, people smuggling, kidnapping, blackmail, bribery, prostitution, toxic waste disposal, construction, counterfeiting, loan sharking, money laundering, illegal gambling, robbery, arms smuggling, extortion, protection, political corruption, and racketeering and its activities have led to high levels of murder in the areas in which it operates. It is one of the oldest and largest criminal organizations in Italy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Could this be a hint of the origins of this Daughter of the "Mysteries"?

When I looked up "Hill Camorra" I found that it actually uses a different spelling, although the phonetics are the same.

Cumorah is the name of the land[1] in which the Hill Cumorah[2] is located. It is one of many drumlin hills in the Finger Lakes region in Western New York in Manchester, where Joseph Smith, Jr. said he found a set of golden plates which he translated and published as the Book of Mormon. In the text of the Book of Mormon, "Cumorah" (misprinted Camorah in the 1830 edition, but not the Printer's Manuscript) is a land situated in “a land of many waters, rivers and fountains”.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

Looks a lot like a little trick used in the language of Legalese.

idem sonans

Sounding the same, or alike. The rule of idem sonans is that absolute accuracy in spelling names is not required in a deed or other legal document,so long as the spellings sound the same and there is no intent to deceive.

financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

The funny thing about idem sonans is that it most often does appear in a manner meant to deceive. It makes all the difference in what it really means when an idem sonans is spelled like this: "YOUR NAME " as opposed to "Your Name".

Therefore, I do believe that this Hill Camorra does refer to some mafia type association which stems from the "Hills" of Rome.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Maybe they are keeping a naughty and nice list.

"with as many wives...endless celestial sex"

I'd be down to be on the scene with Elohim.
edit on 13-12-2010 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Thus, the church (which had a lot more influence then) handled all birth, marriage, death records....

Most churches still handle parishioners birth, marriage and death records.

Totally erroneous information again. Census records go back a lot further than 1800. The problem is...some entities have kept them from us by making sure people got shifted around and split up.

Originally posted by ADUB77

I have seen, in the US, census records from 1776, and on to 1930 in public libraries that have a genealogy section.

Why should one particular church be "the record holder"? By whose authority has this been done?

So one church is not the only holder of birth, marriage and death records. These records can be found in your local government and state human resource bureaus. Also within these US state bureaus are genealogy areas where census records, birth, marriage, and death records are all available.

If you are researching your family tree it takes a lot more work and time to visit all of the different places these records are kept. That is where the Family Research Center comes in really handy.

edit on 13-12-2010 by Alethea because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

If Mormons take over the world, they've got themselves a long list of people don't they.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Maybe they are keeping a naughty and nice list.

I am more concerned that there could be a conspiratorial plan for penalties for those who have "defective" genetics.

Why else would there be such a concentrated effort to scan our bodies and get our blood and DNA samples to see who carries defective genes?

Is there some entity that plans to use us as medical experiments? Do you know what you are signing away when you are admitted to health facilities? Are you familiar with "presumption" clauses?

Could there be some plan to annihilate a line of defective, disease-carrying gene pools?

Think Tuskegee experiments. How about the medical research put into tracing lines of those who have survived Black Death and other plagues.

Many experiments and genetic modifications have been carried out on plants, animals, and human beings. Is there still a conspiracy to breed a super race of man's standards of perfection?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree

Thus, the church (which had a lot more influence then) handled all birth, marriage, death records....

This quote is incorrect. These words were not written by me. I was quoting another poster. Please take care when posting attributions.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree

This quote is incorrect. These words were not written by me. I was quoting another poster. Please take care when posting attributions.

My bad....sorry. Looks like I did erase a little too much.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Maybe they are secret psy-ops agents employed by the CIA to collect information on everyone...or maybe they are just some retarded mormons who want to collect data from billions of people for some fantastical purpose. They could have been hired by extraterrestrials or even their fake god with the agenda to destroy us all with a gigantic pancake orgasm.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The LDS libraries are definitely open to everyone for free. I know this because I have used them myself. And everyone there was super polite, kind and helpful.

As someone pointed out earlier, they use this info to retroactively baptize their ancestors. All of 'em, which takes a hell of a lot of time and research.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

Ancestry.com is NOT run by the LDS church. The people who run the site might be LDS, but the church has no ties to the site more than that.
The LDS website for geneology is familysearch.org. It does not require subscribing, like Ancestry does.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw
The LDS libraries are definitely open to everyone for free. .

Haven't you learned yet.........
There is NO FREE LUNCH.
Those who believe in "free lunches" usually get eaten for breakfast.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Well, I appreciate the warning, but I don't think the members of the LDS are going to eat me for breakfast.
I think they're going to go about their business and should be able to do so without people throwing around baseless accusations.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Cumorah is the name of the land[1] in which the Hill Cumorah[2] is located. It is one of many drumlin hills in the Finger Lakes region in Western New York in Manchester, where Joseph Smith, Jr. said he found a set of golden plates which he translated and published as the Book of Mormon. In the text of the Book of Mormon, "Cumorah" .... is a land situated in “a land of many waters, rivers and fountains”.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

Compare with this:

O you who dwell by many waters, rich in treasures, your end has come; the thread of your life is cut.
(Jeremiah 51:13)

Interesting coincidence, eh?

I believe "land of many waters" is metaphorical and has deeper meaning.

Then the angel said to me, "The waters where the prostitute is ruling represent masses of people of every nation and language. (Revelation 17:15)

edit on 13-12-2010 by Alethea because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Obviously you haven't looked at any family records. The information is very basic: name, birth date, birth location, spouse name, children, death date, and burial information. There is no collection of health data, no collection of medical data, nothing even close to that information. It might be included in family history, for example I know I had an uncle who survived no more than days after birth because of a birth defect. That is not part of the family record, though.
Your concerns are not based on reality. Sorry to deflate your need to become all puffed up with indignation about someone knowing facts found on public records.
If you had taken the time to learn even the basics, you wouldn't need to feel this way. There is nothing even approaching what you seem to believe. You have been told that by many people here, both LDS and not.
Continuing on further just shows you are not interested in listening or learning and are just here to bash and bad mouth.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

So where did this obsession with everyones geneology originate?

Did Joseph Smith mandate this as some sort of mission?

Whats the mormon take on the 144,000?

Do you really believe you are a member of one of the 12 lost tribes?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join