It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Stromboli :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Using the same dough recipe as here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

sealed and olive oiled:

all but done:

*basically a stromboli supreme ...

touch of sauce
italian sausage
ham
pepperoni
mushroom
onion
green pepper
xtra cheese

- baked @ approx 450F for 15-20 mins.

*l'il sauce on the side and good to go.

Enjoy ... Save $$$ ... and eat better.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
OMG!!!

Thanks so much! I am a stromboli freak!
Thanks again

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I love the "ATS" vents carved into the top. That's what ATS is...a big fat tasty piece of conspiracy Stromboli!!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
That looks as good as the pizza! Thanks for this one, too. I love stromboli.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
I love the "ATS" vents carved into the top. That's what ATS is...a big fat tasty piece of conspiracy Stromboli!!

yup... wrap it all up anyway you want, toss in your likings, preferences, objections and/or indifference(s)...

bake @ 450F for 20 minutes or so

voila'

[ETA]

'sweet and sour, i guess you could say ... even.

edit on 12/13/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
that looks amazing!!!

didnt know ATS was also a place for food

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Nice! What's the difference between Stromboli and Calzone??

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
Nice! What's the difference between Stromboli and Calzone??

To the best of my knowledge and experience...

Calzone is more an encrusted ham,mozzarella and ricotta concoction.

... a 'Boli, on the other hand, being more a sort of smorgasbord - type, 'whateverfloatsyouboat', dealio. (?)

A folded/sealed 'pizza' pocket ... if you will. (?)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
MMMMMM......now I am drooling. Thanks!

I haven't made these in a long time. I think I will do this one while in Italy

I like how you set up to cook, looks like how I set up! lol Very organized

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
That looks divine. I had to look up stromboli because what you were making looks like what I had known as calzone. Turns out there really is not much difference, and what difference that is described appears to be pretty much flexible. Wiki shows a picture of a stromboli that is rolled-up rather than folded but the article goes on to say that stromboli can be done either way.

As to what goes inside a stromboli or calzone they say doesn't matter, really, the one difference cited is that stromboli has a tomato pizza sauce inside while the calzone has sauce served in a bowl to the side as a dip. To loosen that up a bit, the photo Wiki shows of their rolled stromboli does not have sauce inside it and the calzones I have eaten always did contain sauce. As I looked back over your photos I saw a bowl of sauce sitting next to the finished stromboli, but yours also had sauce on the inside. I have to conclude there is no immutable rule when it comes to strombolis and calzones.

Wiki cites two possible origins for stromboli, the first in 1950 from an Italian restaurant in Essington, Tinicum Township outside of Philadelphia where the name was given to it after the movie by that same name staring Ingrid Bergman. The other possible origin says it was created in Spokane, WA in 1954 by a Mike Aquino, Sr. I folloed it up and could not find any relationship between this Mr. Mike Aquino, Sr. and Michael Aquino that was Anton LaVey's high priest and founder of Temple of Set.

All told, I can only conclude that Stromboli and Calzone can be interchangeable names for a very flexible recipe for a closed pizza-like pastry, but that Stromboli can also be served rolled as well as folded, the Calzone is only made folded over.

I believe I will switch to using the name Stromboli for what I had always known as Calzones for several reasons. 1) The Stromboli seems to be more flexible as to its possible contents as well as being also presented as a rolled type of pastry. 2) Stromboli is just a fun name that shouts "Italian!" 3) In the Italian language "calzone" usually refers to a sock, but in Mexican Spanish "calzones" is the word for underwear, particularly "tighty-whities." The one time I made individual-sized calzones for some friends in Mexico and presented them as such there was a considerable amount of snickering involved and it was then I found out what that word means here. Stromboli, for that reason, should be much more palatable for my friends here. -Eron
edit on 19-12-2010 by Erongaricuaro because: I am a very clumsy composer and NEED to edit.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
That looks awsome. I was trying to figure out what I was going to make for the Mn-Chgo game. Now I know!

Easy enough, and could feed a army.

Thanks. Great recipe!!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
:]

Stromboli = Meats, cheese, veggies, and sometimes sauce (if wanted, a lot don't have sauce)

Calzone = anything + ricotta (most are just cheese and garlic mmm). It's the addition of ricotta that makes the difference between the 2.

edit on 30-4-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

top topics

join